New York, NY - 08/12/15 - New York Tecmo Meetup

This thread is dedicated to a regular meetup groups for anyone interesting in playing or talking some Tecmo.

The default meetup location is Break Bar & Billiards (where the NY tournament is held) in Astoria.  Most meetups are on Wednesday nights about every 6 weeks and begin at 6:00 PM. We'd like as many guys to come out that are interested.  If you can't make it, you can always check back for the next one.

We hope to have some kind of twist each meetup. Here's the meetups we've had so far:

10/01/12 - New York Tournament Prep

11/07/12 - NES & SNES Medley
01/09/13 - NFC Central Round Robin

02/20/13 - Flea Flicker Frenzy

03/20/13 - Backup Brawl

05/01/13 - Super Bowl Showdown

06/12/13 - The Wild (AFC) West

07/10/13 - Original Playbooks

08/07/13 - Kicks Are For Kids!

09/11/13 - CFL Rules

10/02/13 - Tecmo Tiers

11/20/13 - Tecmo Draft

01/08/14 - East Coast Bias

02/26/14 - Tec-No Super Bowl

03/26/14 - Backup Brawl 2.0

04/16/14 - Even Stevens

05/21/14 - Backup Brawl 2.1

06/25/14 - Beast Bowl

07/23/14 - Red Zone Frenzy

08/20/14 - All Linebacker Challenge

09/13/14 - The Sims: Tecmo Playoff Edition

10/01/14 - Common Tournament Matchups

11/12/14 - Poetry In Motion

02/18/15 - 2014 Playoffs Matchups

03/25/15 - Same Playbooks

04/29/15 - Wide Receiver-less Offense

08/12/15 - Point Per Score

Let me know ahead of time if you're coming and if you can bring some gear. Suggestions for future meetups are welcome!

Here's a sample description of the January meetup:

NFC Central Round Robin: To add some challenge, teams are limited to those in the NFC Central (CHI, DET, GB, MIN, TB). Each player will play each other once and can only use each team from the NFC Central once. (if there are a lot of people, we'll break into smaller groups). We will be playing Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There next Tecmo group meetup will be on Wednesday, January 9th at 6:00 PM at Break Bar & Billiards in Astoria. All are welcome to come by and participate!

Since last meetup was hard to get together because of the holidays, we'll be taking one division again, most likely the NFC Central and having a Round Robin tourney.  Teams are limited to those in the division (e.g.-CHI, DET, GB, MIN, TB). Each player will play each other once and can only use each team from the NFC Central once. (if there are a lot of people, we'll break into smaller groups). We will be playing Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES.

TecSpectre, to answer your question, the other times we've done it have lasted until 9:30 and 11:00 PM.  You don't have to stay the whole time if you can't.  I imagine we'll be finished somewhere in between those times.

Sorry you missed it!  It was a good time and everybody got 5 games in.  We were using only NFC Central teams, and you could only use a team once.  Everyone used every team once and everyone lost with the Packers!

The next meetup is likely February 20.  FYI, it's harder to reserve the space on a weekend (unless it's for a tourney, of course) since they sometimes use space for events and parties.  Wednesday night is the best time that the bar has available for gaming.  Are you not around on Wednesdays?  If a few guys aren't around, I'll see what I can do about occasionally having it on another day.

I thought about having an all flea-flicker playbook.  Of course, pass 1 doesn't have a flea flicker, so play action would have to be the alternate.  You probably can't allow the defense to rush the QB.  If you did, then people probably wouldn't call a pass play.  It sounds like it would be a good rule to agree upon to not rush the QB unless he's scrambling.

An alternative is to have at least one flea flicker in your playbook.  You would have to call the play at least once during the course of the game.  This would allow the human opponent to risk rushing the QB since there are other pass plays that they could call that don't involve flea flicker/play action.

I'm leaning towards the first, but if it seems like too many flea flickers, then maybe we tone it down.  On the other hand, I did call it Flea Flicker Fury so why not go extreme!  8-)

• 2 weeks later...