3rd Annual Lincoln, Nebraska Tecmo Tournament Jan 19th, 2013

Knobbe

seriously knobbe? i watched that stream for 2 hours thinking i was wathcing the tournament... come to find out i was watching the scrubs that were out of the tournament playing for fun... who the hell does that type of stuff? unreal man.. cant beleive you pulled this stunt...

This was my first year broadcasting while running the tourney.

Basically when it came down to it running the tourney was more of a priority.

For whatever reason one of my webcams crapped out on me so the feed was down for a long time.

The funny thing was you stopped watching and the final 4 was played and you missed it.

The tourney get a bit better each year, we'll figure this out next year.

In the Elite 8, Luke beat me Vikings over Chargers (great game), Craig beat Orenga Raiders over Bengals, Chet beat John H. Rams over Chargers, and Knobbe beat ____ (don't know that one).

I was playing Hubecek from Cedar Rapids and it was Chiefs over Bears.  A couple of early fumbles from Neal A sealed Hubie's fate in this one.

Matt set up a very great competition.  Kudos to him.  There were some late cancellations, and it appears he had to roll out some contingency plans at the last minute to get it all set up right. 

As the resident original TB player here, who never plays TSB but gave this a shot, my thoughts are as follows....

-The Final 4/elite 8 type players really seem to be a step above everyone else...they just have "it".  Reminds me of RBI baseball in that aspect.    

-I think it doesn't take a ton of work to get into the middle of the pack of TSB players though.  Plain and simple....Just knowing the game well from top to bottom with match-ups, players, and playbooks will pay a lot of dividends.  That worked against me all day long.   

-There certainly are some properties from the original that translate to TSB very much so, but what works in some cases with TB, isn't a given in TSB, and the other way around as well. Kind of confusing at times for me.     

I'm definitely in this again next year, and will actually put more work in ahead of time so i don't go 2-6.

Knobbe, thanks so much for putting on a great tournament. As my 16 Coors Light bar bill told me, I had a lot of fun. Also met some great people.

I wish I could blame my play on the Coors Light, but I played terribly from the beginning of the day. Failed to execute on offense at all. Needed a last second TD and OT FG to beat my first guy, had 2 TO in my own red zone and a safety and got blown out second game by Nick ABC. Haddix came to the rescue to shut down B Sanders in game 3, so at least I was 2-1 in my group. My group was pretty good, not a bad player in it.

Tournament started and I drew Kevin from Urbandale. He was solid and D'd me up with Atwater and Mecklenberg. My Skins couldn't score and I got beat 17-7. Was hoping to win and get a chance to play Chet, but couldn't pull it off. Kevin took him to OT though in a great game in the Rd of 16.

My offense has to be better in Madison. Not playing a human in 10 months was not the way to go.

Great tourney games after the elite 8 as well, including the final. Fun all around. Looking forward to seeing everyone again in Madison. Seacrest out.

Thanks to the Godfather for putting on the tournament. In addition to having a blast, it gave us an opportunity to size up (for seeding purposes) some of the new guys coming to Madison this year. There were a few that are definitely gonna make some noise. Until next year fellas...

Knobbe, thanks so much for putting on a great tourney Saturday. Overall, we had a great time and look forward to playing again next year. We met some great guys that all love the game. As someone mentioned, there are 7 or 8 guys that are REALLY good. We learned alot by watching and can't wait to implement some of those things at our own tourney in Harlan, IA in a couple weeks. Congrats all on a great tourney and more importantly, good sportsmanship.

Chet, you are the man. Wow, it was impressive to say the least watching you play through the bracket. Congrats on the big 'W'!

Knobbe, thanks so much for putting on a great tourney Saturday. Overall, we had a great time and look forward to playing again next year. We met some great guys that all love the game. As someone mentioned, there are 7 or 8 guys that are REALLY good. We learned alot by watching and can't wait to implement some of those things at our own tourney in Harlan, IA in a couple weeks. Congrats all on a great tourney and more importantly, good sportsmanship.

Chet, you are the man. Wow, it was impressive to say the least watching you play through the bracket. Congrats on the big 'W'!

I think that one of the foucues this year on the site will be working on guides to make better Tecmo Players.  

If you've been around here for years, you know all the tricks.  If you aren't putting your 88-100 hp running back at kickoff returner then you might not know about the RT / kickoff return speed.

As far as sportsmanship goes, I do need to restrict the amount of points you can win by.  When this decides your seedings you have players that are there just for fun who are destroyed and do not show up the next year.

Sounds like you guys had a great time.  I hope to move Detroit to an annual late spring date, and be able to justify hitting up this one in January next year, and beyond!  How many guys did you have Knobbe?  Congratulations to Chet on his victory, and can't wait til Madison fellas!

I think that one of the foucues this year on the site will be working on guides to make better Tecmo Players.  

If you've been around here for years, you know all the tricks.  If you aren't putting your 88-100 hp running back at kickoff returner then you might not know about the RT / kickoff return speed.

As far as sportsmanship goes, I do need to restrict the amount of points you can win by.  When this decides your seedings you have players that are there just for fun who are destroyed and do not show up the next year.

Indeed, you really have to have a point limit if you're doing seeding.  28 or 30 point margin of victory seems fair.  I think I saw one score on streaming at Lincoln that was 66-0.  :shock:   That one blowout game can really skew things.

One of the harder things to do when planning a tournament is to make it interesting for the guys who get wrecked.  You don't want them to be so discouraged getting destroyed that they have an awful time and never come back.  The blowouts are bound to happen for inexperienced players, but you want to try to get guys into it to be more competitive.

Sounds like you guys had a great time.  I hope to move Detroit to an annual late spring date, and be able to justify hitting up this one in January next year, and beyond!  How many guys did you have Knobbe?  Congratulations to Chet on his victory, and can't wait til Madison fellas!

40.  Didn't get to 64 but the upside is that you were guaranteed 4 games. 

Man, it's getting to be a nationwide thing these tournaments. Who knew? Imagine where we coulda been 20 years ago with contact like this. Madison is gonna be a blast. It's too bad i couldn't get to this one. Sounds like it was too fun as well. Is there some pix or vidz? I haven't checked into it

Rod, is your PM box full?

Man, it's getting to be a nationwide thing these tournaments. Who knew? Imagine where we coulda been 20 years ago with contact like this. Madison is gonna be a blast. It's too bad i couldn't get to this one. Sounds like it was too fun as well. Is there some pix or vidz? I haven't checked into it

Rod, is your PM box full?

No thought it's certainly not checked this week

This would be great for us TSB noobs.  A couple problems I ran into at the tourney were... 

1.  Really not knowing jack about the match-ups.  made it hard for me to throw out some evenly matched teams.  break those down a bit.

2.  Not knowing which run plays suck.  I had 1 run play where the RB fakes a WR reverse run, and that 1 damn play really kept me from being able to run against Derick Thomas.  made me 1 dimensional and I had trouble scoring.  Had i known that ahead of time, I'm not choosing that play in that match-up.  There's a lot of little things that can be of great use to a noob.

I'm sure i'll think of a few more things that I learned after it was too late.  

This would be great for us TSB noobs.  A couple problems I ran into at the tourney were... 

1.  Really not knowing jack about the match-ups.  made it hard for me to throw out some evenly matched teams.  break those down a bit.

I explicitly had a matchup rankings list on the back of the rules