Detroit's Tecmo Kumite - Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament - Saturday, January 12, 2013

bob sacamano

9 hours seems long, but there are certain things that we could have done to cut time, such as pre-drawing numbers.  But with the amount of time we were given, we weren't in too much fear of finishing over our estimated time, so it wasn't a big deal.

This format really takes the headache out of seeding, and determining matchups based on records, and point differentials (Madison), and we felt worked out real well, and was fairly simplistic!  I think we'll definitely be using this format again!

Perhaps once we've gotten a few tourneys under our belt, with good record tracking throughout, we would best be suited going to the Madison group play format.  For now, it seems like this will be the way Detroit II will shake out as well!  Stay tuned!

Ah, I was thinking of experimenting with triple elimination next year to cut time, but it seems like it takes longer.  It makes sense the further you go along, the more likely the chance of repeat matchups.  But I wondered if anyone drew someone in round 1 and round 2, especially an extremely talented player.  That would be total suck.

The idea of not allowing repeat matchups until it was unavoidable was discussed later on in the day.  We actually did make sure it didn't happen in the first three rounds, but allowed it to happen later on.  I think it would be better overall to ensure unique opponents when possible.

I had a great time at the first detroit Tecmo Kumite...my thanks go out to tecmodell42, toolie, and joe M. for running a great tournament. I liked the format (random triple elimnation)...drew the bye in rd1 (wish i didnt get it early)...

my losses were to "bradbears" in rd2, "toolie" in rd 7 or 8...and "Regulator" cooled me off in a rd 12 rematch.....

my  wins of note (all tough games)...were to "nick c. of cleveland ohio" in rd 5, "tecmodell42" in rd6, rd11 vs "regulator"......

....I had a great time playing tecmo and drinking guiness...im  glad i didnt get drunk and challenge "reg" to a juice-off either lol. man i had tough time even containing "reg's" running game...prob got lucky to beat him once...."brad bears" schemed a perfect storm w his playbook with matchup (my lb4 was no match)gg....nick c. had me on ropes in first half of game...i didnt want let milller pass 2much gg...."toolie" passing game was on w/ marino and beat my rams ina surprising low scoring game...im still 0-3 vs him gg"....o'dell...beat me in rematch street tecmo game...AND I DIDNT GET TO PLAY "mort" damn it (i own mort in warm-up games lol)...

I live by this motto in tecmo......tO QuOte "MARV LEVY"...."Your never as good as you think you are when you 'win'...and your never as 'bad' as you think you are when you lose"..

Edited by red98sethuthut

• 3 weeks later...

Whether you are attending any of the many upcoming tournaments throughout the country, including Madison, which is just weeks away - or not.  The Detroit Tecmo team is throwing a small get together Tecmo playing event Sunday, February 17, in Rochester, MI!

I'm trying to keep this relatively small, as the venue just simply can't handle that many people.  I've created a facebook event for this.  If you haven't received an invite, and would like to come out, please let me know!