Player stats/abilities for Bad News Baseball

pmeth

• 2 months later...

Just an update, I'm working on an NL Mirror mode, which basically replaces all the American League teams with duplicates of the National League teams so that you can play against the same team. My brother and I have found these matchups to be especially competitive as there's no difference in stats (no arguments like 'Of course you won, you were the Dodgers'). Most of our games have been 1-run nail-biters and there's something cool about having your team's best pitcher playing against their own lineup.

So far all the teams are set, lineups and logos. I've rearranged the order of all the teams so that each mirror team shows up next to its partner. The logos have alternate colors. The team uniforms have been changed so that they are different. I'm still tweaking some of the colors to look as good as possible. A couple logo colors need to be fixed. The end game screen still calls out the original team instead of the team that won (like LA sweeps! when it's really SF). And the end game picture of the player doesn't have perfect uniform color. I'll try to make a few more fixes and then release the rom here in a few weeks. Naturally an American League Mirror Mode would be in order as well, just going to take some time to get to it.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. I was wondering if anymore work has been done on this. Since this is the best baseball game on the NES, to have MLB teams and updated rosters that would be amazing. I'd love to try to help out by updating the rosters where I could too!

• 1 year later...

Reviving this post from the dead, has anybody determined the locations that determine a batter's RH/LH?  I'm working on a Calculator that will make hex-editing a breeze for this ROM, and for batters, it's the only major thing I'm missing.  To go along with this, I'm working on a 2017 MLB edition of the ROM, as well.

judgebnb.png

BNBCALC.png

Edited by Baron von Lector

Baron, very excited to see this. Please keep us posted on your progress. Some ways this will be very cool:

1. I've created an NL Mirror mode where the AL teams are replaced with NL teams so you can play LA vs LA, etc, but with different uniforms. All the hex editing took awhile, so this would make an AL Mirror mode easier to accomplish.

2. Certainly this makes it easier to put real, current lineups in there.

3. Creating a more challenging version of the game with faster runners and better pitching would be awesome. Also, permanently eliminating the forkball from all pitchers would be great.

Good news since the last post... I solved the Divinci Code of Bad News Baseball.  I figured out how to create RH and LH batters.

I've been reading that folks hate the Forkball.  I was thinking of possibly removing it, but thought against it while maybe giving it only to staff aces or elite pitchers.

At the moment, I have 4 teams 100% complete and am looking for a release date of Friday or Monday at the latest.

Also, I simmed a game earlier between Chicago and New York.  Is this HR production the norm?

18920220_1937746643159597_8369151956331160517_n.png

17 hours ago, wilef said:

3. Creating a more challenging version of the game with faster runners and better pitching would be awesome. Also, permanently eliminating the forkball from all pitchers would be great.

I just did some research via Google and FanGraphs.com, and it looks like there are no pitchers today that use a forkball.  So, in keeping with a shed of accuracy, unless another pitcher comes around that uses the pitch, considered it scrapped for my ROM.

Good to hear. Ever since childhood we had outlawed the use of the forkball as it looks just like a slow pitch but then dips and is unhittable. It's always a ball, but you wouldn't know whether to swing or not so it was a crapshoot. If someone accidentally pitched a forkball, they would have to serve up a straight pitch with no curve or speed on the next pitch.

1 hour ago, Baron von Lector said:

I just did some research via Google and FanGraphs.com, and it looks like there are no pitchers today that use a forkball.  So, in keeping with a shed of accuracy, unless another pitcher comes around that uses the pitch, considered it scrapped for my ROM.

Sad face.

This isn't a baseball sim. Forkball is very BNB!

...and no, 20-17 games with 27 homeruns is not normal. lol

17 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

Sad face.

I'm curious, how do you get around the fact that the forkball is unhittable and indistinguishable from a changeup? We always hated that pitch.

1 hour ago, davefmurray said:

Sad face.

What do you mean this isn't a baseball sim?  How are intergalactic moon-shots NOT sim?  I see what you mean.  I'll probably flip-flop on this until I release the final product.  All the pitchers, with the exception of the speed rating and stamina, all seem pretty cookie cutter.  I guess giving a Clayton Kershaw or Masahiro Tanaka (pre-2017) "special" pitches might seem necessary.

41 minutes ago, Baron von Lector said:

What do you mean this isn't a baseball sim?  How are intergalactic moon-shots NOT sim?  I see what you mean.  I'll probably flip-flop on this until I release the final product.  All the pitchers, with the exception of the speed rating and stamina, all seem pretty cookie cutter.  I guess giving a Clayton Kershaw or Masahiro Tanaka (pre-2017) "special" pitches might seem necessary.

intergalactic moon-shots are a real thing... look at Judge and his boomstick!

I have to second @davefmurrayon this one. This was IMO the best baseball game for the NES and the forkball was part of the fun, especially vs a friend. Also, the HRs in the simmed game are way over what you would normally get. It would be a high total if both teams ended up with the total of just one of the teams in the simmed game.

I guess my forkball experience was different. It led to a lot of arguments and long periods of not playing the game as it was considered an unfair pitch. Am I missing something regarding the pitch? There's no way to hit it right? And the speed and sound of the pitch are the same as the changeup (right until the 'dink' on the plate when it's too late to decide whether to swing or not), right?

2 hours ago, SBlueman said:

Also, the HRs in the simmed game are way over what you would normally get. It would be a high total if both teams ended up with the total of just one of the teams in the simmed game.

I have an explanation for the high run/HR output... Bad News Baseball, by the look of the animations, is played by kids.  We'll assume they're Little Leaguers.  Being Little Leaguers, it's also safe to assume they're playing on a Little League field.  So, what happens when you replace those Little Leaguers by full-grown Major League men on a Little League field?  Lots of runs and homeruns!

Edited by Baron von Lector

More runs in a fun high speed baseball game I'm ok with. 

As for the forkball controversy, I see it as a slow curve that hits the ground before it hits the plate, which happens all the time. The forkball pitch was more unhittable in games like RBI because it would almost dribble across home plate. But in Bad News, throwing a pitch while pressing up on the D pad really just changed pitch speed. I've never had the bottom fall out so much that the pitch was unhittable in Bad News. But maybe I'm throwing it wrong. 

Either way, I'm super excited about the release and thank you for all your hard work on it!

I'm essentially done with the ROM but won't release it until Monday.  I want to fine-tune some of the defensive ratings.  Using the game's A-B-C scale, I was comparing a player's fielding percentage against the league average at that position.  If a player was similar or above the league average, I awarded a B.  If a player was considerably below average, I awarded a C.  If the player was ever a gold-glove winner at his position, I awarded an A.  The problem with this method was that there weren't enough As.  When simming a game, it wasn't out of the ordinary for a team to commit 8-10 errors a game.  So, I'm going to adjust my scale a bit.

I have a nice animated instruction manual if you want more info about the game: http://www.badnewsbaseball.com/bad-news-baseball-instructions/

There are some nuggets in there, such as pitchers have a B fielding ability across the board.

In terms of fielding, in real BNB, you pretty much put only As in each position, with the occasional B if their hitting is superb. Never a C, unless it's a pinch hitting situation. Your fielding errors will get pretty bad if you don't have mostly As in the field.

One version of BNB I've made has optimal starting lineups so we don't have to change rosters every time we play. There are obvious changes to make from the standard starting lineups with a few 'personal preference' changes depending on speed, arm strength, and hitting.

Also, I'd love a copy of your calculator whenever it's finished. Would make editing a breeze. My hacks have focused on changing out graphics (better team logos) and colors (night mode, better uniform colors).

10 minutes ago, neidl32 said:

all of a sudden, Bad News Baseball is quickly becoming the next RBI Baseball! Momentum!!! 

Which is great news because (and I'm sure this is blasphemy), I think RBI kind of sucks. BNB is better in every way and I just don't see the appeal with those little fat ballplayers ;)

On 6/9/2017 at 7:05 AM, Baron von Lector said:

I'm essentially done with the ROM but won't release it until Monday.  I want to fine-tune some of the defensive ratings.  Using the game's A-B-C scale, I was comparing a player's fielding percentage against the league average at that position.  If a player was similar or above the league average, I awarded a B.  If a player was considerably below average, I awarded a C.  If the player was ever a gold-glove winner at his position, I awarded an A.  The problem with this method was that there weren't enough As.  When simming a game, it wasn't out of the ordinary for a team to commit 8-10 errors a game.  So, I'm going to adjust my scale a bit.

Where's that ROM? And any chance I can get my hands on that calculator tool???