Sign in to follow this  
johny_mx

How to IMPROVE TECMO GRAPHICS with Nestopia

I found some configuration on the Internet to improve Nestopia graphics.

1. Click on the Nestopia Options menu then Video.

2. Click on the white box under "Filter" and select Hqx (is the best of all). After you choose, click Settings and select 4x.

3.-Below "Settings", choose 32 bit if you want the screen to render sharper and better but it could cause lag, it depends of your pc specs.

I've tested this config with Gats in online games without noticeable differences in game speed. Please give it a try and post any comments.

The computers we used for online gaming have the following specs:

Host PC:

1.- Quad core processor.

2.- 8 GB RAM

Other PC:

1.- Processor i5 2.3Ghz.

2.- 6 GB RAM.

3.- 384 MB ATI video card.

Enjoy.

*****NOTE*****

Considering disabling this feature is one of the first things NEStopia recommends if your emulation is lagging, you'll want to make sure your computer can handle this before you play online.

tried it with the recommended settings. The graphics were definitely improved, but the FPS for me was lowered to mid 50s, wherer I usually have 60 consistently. Gonna adjust the 32 bit to 16 and see if online improves

what happens when one person doesn't do this and the other does? Something doesn't seem right here

I think it shouldn't matter. The only information traveling thru Internet it's user actions (sended by controller, keyboard, etc) not every pixel on screen, that's how online multiplaying usually works. So u should be able to play with another player even when he didn't change the video configuration.

What does matter is that your hw can handle effectively the extra processing required to apply the filter (Hqx in this case) because if it can't then u will have lag as a result.

If the proposed config doesn't work for u and give you lag i recommend configure it to use only 16bits, if this doesn't work either use 16bits and apply the 2x filter instead of 4x because this one requieres less resources.

I played like 10 games today with Gats using the proposed configuration (32 bits, hqx 4x) without experience major problems and as u can see there is a huge upgrade in graphic quality (even using hqx 2x filter). But I think that we should, like we r doing right now, try it in practice games and see how it works.

I tried the graphic improvement setting for awhile, then went back to the original before a playoff game tonight, and my eyes started bleeding..... I love the quality graphics man, much nicer on the eyes. So I said f-it, let's try it in the playoff game on the 16-bit.... well, we started our game and there was an immediate desynch on the kickoff. I have no idea why it desynched, but I changed it back to standard setting for our next try, and there was no desynch at all the rest of the game. My opponent had no idea I was using that setting, and I don't think he was using it either...... so, like johny said, the graphics aren't really traveling between systems, but just putting this out there as my experience. I really like the new graphics, so hopefully that's not what caused my desynch.

guess your computer cant handle it.. regulators couldnt either.. but me and him both ran in dif settings. he ran in normal, i ran in the new one. and we did not desynch. and on my side the game was smooth as silk:)

I have an i5 processor with 6GB RAM ...... I play Starcraft 2 off this computer and it runs smooth.... pretty sure it's not the computers fault.

Do u have this problems playing local too?

You could try to use another filter diff from Hqx.

My computer is like a year old...LOL. It didn't lag the framerate or anything. I just don't like how it looks.

I just think the setting doesn't really do anything. It kind of "softens" things and rounds them off. Whoop-dee-doo

And honestly how much better are the 8-bit graphics going to look. LOL. But if you think it makes a big difference more power to you.

I just think the setting doesn't really do anything. It kind of "softens" things and rounds them off. Whoop-dee-doo

And honestly how much better are the 8-bit graphics going to look. LOL. But if you think it makes a big difference more power to you.

Agree

Agree

You are right Bruddog that's exactly what Hqx algorithm does (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hqx), smooth all the images on screen giving you a better resolution image, this requieres an extra processing but as i said before it doesn't matter if one gamer use them and other's don't. It shouldn't affect online gameplay.

Agree

i need my pixels

I think the default version looks much better. I want old school nintendo graphics. I dont want to play tecmo super bowl and have it look like a fucking water color painting.