Tecmo Grey Cup 2004 anyone?

Matt Dixon

The discovery of the ability to play 3-Down football in tecmo inspired me to make a CFL Rom.

So far i havea completed:

Rosters

Small Helmets - Very Basic

2004 CFL schedule - 18 Games per team - 4 CFL teams make playoffs in each conference

Hex Edit changes NFL to CFL AFC to WST NFC to EST Super Bowl to Grey Cup...ect

Generic teams in 19 free spots

To Do:

Ratings (QBs done)

Big Helments

Other Graphical Changes (american flags on scoreboards)

Anyways check out http://www.geocities.com/dixonml2002/ for some screenshots.

I hope some people are interested in this, upon complete I would like to run a CFL tecmo league.

Matt

How didyou make it so there are only 8 playoff teams? I wasn't aware that anyone figured out a way to do this. Must have missed a post somewhere.

Anyway, what rules for CFL are you going to have to do away with in order to make it? I'm not knowledgeable of many of the differences between the NFL and CFL.

Also, will you be shortening punts and field goals, switching KR ability from OL stats, or making INT returns easier (basically, any of the stuff that people have figured out how to do recently)?

Sorry for all the questions. Always interested in new ways to play TSB.

The schedule is set up so the generic teams don't play a game during a season. The default NFL Playoff setup is still used, but only 2 generic teams make it, and 4 Canadian teams. It works out that 2nd CFL plays 3rd CFL in a wild card game(CFL Division Semi Final 1). And 4th plays a generic in the other one. Sim Hex values are set so the generic team will never win, as well all ratings have been zeroed for these teams, so the 4th team will almost always win. I've simulated 8 seasons and only once did a CFL team lose. in the second round the winner or 2-3 plays the other generic and will win and 4th plays 1st(CFL Division Semi #2). The winner of the 1-4 plays the winner of the 2-3(after they beat the generic) in the Conference Championship(CFL Divison Championship). THe winner advances to the grey cup. The same system works for both conferances.

The biggest difference is the CFL allows 12 men. Most teams play a 4 reciever 2 back set, so for teams that pass alot the got the 4WR set and for runnign teams they got the 3WR 2RB set with the TE being a canadian slotback(usually used a bigger one). The cfl field is bigger (110yds by 65) with 20 yd endzones.

I will make all the changes that have been discovered with FGs and kick returns. FGs will be 10 yds longer then the NFL standard though as CFL posts are on the goalline. Thanks for the interest.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

This is a worthwhile project, IMO.

I look forward to seeing your ROM, it seems to push the bounds of what is possible in ROM editing.. and way beyound my abilities.

It would be interesting to fill up the rest of the team slots with some of the greatest teams from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Especially, Moon in an Eskimoes jersey, Flutie in a Stampeders jersey, and maybe Rocket Ismail in a Argonauts Jersey.

Tecmo plays more like CFL anyway, with high scoring and lots of breakaway scores.

Looking forward to it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

My first post and I must say I've very excited about the prospects of a CFL version of Tecmo.....

You could even play just preseason games and keep stats manually in excel, for a true, nine team league.....

I'm working on some of that right now....

How are you progressing and would you be interested in sharing what you have with another CFL fan??

Thanks for the ear.... :)

Rick

ohcanada

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a great idea, hope it gets done some day...

Only thing I see needs a fix from here is the BC Lions logo you have on your site. It looks more like the Clemson Tigers than the BC Lions, also, I hope you have new rosters because the ones in the photos are from last season.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...