Shorter Punts Rom Hack

partyman6666

I've found the way to shorten punts.

The way punts work in tecmo is this.

Tecmo takes the value that the Punting team has entered on the Kicking Power Meter and adds a set value to it. This set value is hardcoded to be F0. It then adds a mathematically altered version of the Punters Punting Power to that value to determine how far the ball goes.

By changing the value F0 to something less, you can shorten all punts by a set distance. Punt distance can be adjusted by a maximum of 32 yards by changing this value to the most extreme opposite values of 00 and FF.

A punter with 100 KP and FF for a Punt Adjustment can kick a full kick that travels 85 yards from scrimmage. A punter with 100 KP and 00 for a Punt Adjustment can kick a full kick that travels about 54 yards from scrimmage. For every notch that you bump up or down the first digit of the Punt Adjust value by 1 point(from F0 to E0 for example), you will gain/lose 2 yards per punt. I would probably say that a more realistic Punt Adjust value to use for punts would be something between 60-80, which would make a 100 KP kicker be able to kick a maximum distance of about 64-70 yards and a minimum of about 18-24 yards on a shanked kick.

You wouldn't want to set the punting distance value too low, because if a punter has the ability to kick punts of under 8 yards, the Punt returner sometimes doesn't have time to get under the ball before it hits the ground. This could probably be resolved by upping the speed that the punt returner runs at while he situates himself under the ball...although it's unlikely that anyone would actually desire to shorten punts that much...and it would also only happen for punter with about 6 for Kicking power.

One more thing that many of you might not know about punts.....

For every notch of Kicking Power that a punter has, the ball will travel 1 yard farther than an equivalent kick from a weaker punter.

The hex address of the punt adjustment is at #29369.

More good stuff to come.............

What's wrong....Jealous you couldn't find it?

Why are you always soo negative? This is a board for posting information about rom hacking. I found a rom hack, so I posted it here, where it belongs. Stop posting irrelevant remarks to fulfill your own insecurities, and stick to the topic at hand.

What's wrong....Jealous you couldn't find it?

Why are you always soo negative? This is a board for posting information about rom hacking. I found a rom hack, so I posted it here, where it belongs. Stop posting irrelevant remarks to fulfill your own insecurities, and stick to the topic at hand.

lighten up man. i just made a cocky "funny" statement about not punting.

who's insecure here? :twisted:

Zach, the punt master would be very offended if he heard you talking about punting as if it weren't important. ;)

I think it's definitely something a defensive minded coach would want. What's the point of nailing someone back to the endzone if they can just boot a 70 yard punt to get out of it? Playing good d should mean getting better field position, and this would help, especially for defensive "studs" like you soby :twisted:

You can still put them in bad field posision. It just needs to be tweak so you can't boom 80 yarders into the endzone very time.

Although I agree thats punts are hardly worthwhile most of the time but thats due to the overly offensive nature of most roms.

I also found out that the Punter and the rest of his punt defense team receive a hefty boost of attributes when defending against the punt return.

You can remove that boost by going to the following lines and changinge the code accordingly in the rom.

#8164: Change E2 06 E3 04 to E2 00 E3 00 (This boosts the punter himself)

#8170: Change E2 06 E3 04 to E2 00 E3 00 (This boosts the rest of the punt defense team, aside from the punter)

You can also decrease the boost level a bit(Rather than completely turning it off) by lowering each of the values that was changed to 00 to something a bit higher than zero.........or raise the boost value by raising these values to something higher than their original values.

• 11 years later...
  • 3 years later...