Single-Game Challenge

Avoid Lloyd

Use your Tecmo skills, honed from years of playing, to play a game without your sense of sight. Play with your eyes closed, blindfolded, or with your back to the TV. Whichever way your senses flow the best. Play your normal game, but you must try at least one FG. I have not done this before but i've been meaning to suggest it here.

That is all, friends.

Toes? I actually learned how to play with my toes when I broke my arm, and couldn't play video games for about a month. I can't say I'm great, but I can at least control a good amount of what I'm doing...

In between plays, is it okay to look at the screen?

There are two ways to do this. Either checking field position between plays or going from opening kickoff to final gun without looking. The latter is the toughest.

Just state which version of the challenge you attempted.

I suggest playing the first game of a season. That way you can see the stats for your team.

Using a blind selection I found my team to be New England (joy). It was good that I am familiar with them and their playbook from all the challenges here. Bad because they suck. Though good because they play Indianapolis.

I played the whole game sitting with my back to the TV and looking at the controller, trying to visualize the screen in my mind.

In a scoreless game Grogan completed a pass to Irving Fryar and sensing a long gainer I knew I was in FG range. On 4th down I attempted a field goal and missed. Indianapolis eventually found a way to drive down the field and score a touchdown. Later in the half I attempted a punt and couldn't get it off. My punter was tackled inside my own territory. I held Indy to a field goal attempt and he MISSED IT! Into the fourth quarter...on a fourth down I punted the ball and heard the touchback music. Disoriented, I turned around to the screen and found out two things: it was INDEED a punt, and I must have been in FG range. Oh well. Jeff George threw an interception. After a drive stalled out, I chose to go for it on 4th down and I threw a pass into the end zone..how did i know? because it was intercepted and i heard the touchback music again. I intercepted another George pass on the next drive and this time I would not be denied. Using a series of Stephens' running plays I sensed i was near the EZ. and ran him up the gut for the TD. Made the extra point and the game was tied. On the kickoff I 'accidentally' went onside, the clock was running inside 10 seconds, Indy recovered, tried a field goal but missed on the final play of the game. In OT, Indy won the toss, and again I couldn't get a kickoff away. They recovered the kick.. Bentley torched me for a long run. I knew they were in range and the next play George hit Brooks for the TD. Game over.

Stats:

NE 22-154 97 = 251yds 11FD

IND 7-128 78 = 206yds 4FD

John Stephens 20-154 1td

Marvin Allen 2-0

Steve Grogan 4-14 28.6% 0-2int 0.0 rating

Irving Fryar 2-62

H.Dykes 1-22

M.Cook 1-13

KR Martin 2-22

PR Fryar 2-25 12.5avg

4 sacks: Agnew(2), Reynolds, Harvey

2INT: McSwain 2-1 0.5 avg.

That's about it.

Field Position: If you concentrate, you can get a feel for where you are on Plays: It's hard telling the difference between a running play or pass play.. Shotgun snaps can be decyphered.

Throwing: To get the ball to the guy you want, the thing that is good to know is who the primary receiver is on each pass play.

No look at all, Preaseason, HOU (Man) vs SF:

HOU 48

SF 35

Won the coin toss, but lost the opening kickoff to a fumble...

On D picked a DL and rushed the QB every play.

On O picked second pass play every time and threw to Hill, unless I goofed and called a different play.

FGs/XPs were kicked by mashing the buttons.

Kickoffs were kicked at random.

Scored a TD every possession until the fourth quarter when I kicked two field goals. First was kicked after I recovered an onsides kick and completed a pass. Good off the upright. 49er's fumbled the kickoff, so I kicked another FG immediately. Good off the upright. Last possession I turned over on downs. (So only 6 4th Q points.)

D forced SF to punt twice and loss of downs twice thanks to around 12 total sacks.

Tom Rathman: 6 attempts, 98 yards. Team 128 yards.

Montana to Rice for 63 yards. Team 123 yards.

Moon to Hill for 262 yards. Team 343 yards (47% completion)

Going along with the other goofy ways to play the game, I once played a game on NESticle with the speed jacked way up. You had no time to react to anything. I was the Bears and dominated, Anderson had a good 300 yards rushing.