changing the KR speed

konForce

It's common knowledge that the KR's max speed is set to the RT's max speed. I believe I have discovered why.

In the ROM at 0x80FF is the command sequences for the KR. In goes like this, using my interpretation of the code:

Set Pos From KO(01,00,48)

Wait for Kick

E3(30)

Catch Ball from Kick

Boost MS(0)

Take Control

I really don't know exactly what the E3 command does, but apparently it causes the player to speed up so that it is guaranteed that he will be fast enough to catch the ball. (E0 is boost RP, E1 is boost MS, E2 is boost something, and E3 is also boost MS - and maybe something else too.)

Now, once you catch the ball, there's a problem. The KR's max speed is still set to be at lightning speed due to the E3 command. So, a Boost MS (0) command is issued which sets the MS back to the original speed.

However, this is where the glitch kicks in. Somehow TSB forgets that the 11th player is now the KR, and it loads the MS from the 11th slot (RT). Now, you have an ultra slow KR in most cases.

It is possible to fix the glitch by changing the bytes in boldface.

0x08100: 00 48 ec ef e4

The E3 command seems to be unnecessary for play. If you don't do the E3, you don't need to reset the Max speed. There is a problem: the player may not be fast enough to catch the kick-off. However, from what I saw, he still always automatically sucks it in. (Stick Ricky P in to see.)

There may be other side effects from removing the EC command; I didn't test it completely.

Now, you can be the judge of whether or not using Bo Jackson as a kick returner is completely unfair.

I vote no on BO! :D But it is cool that there is an option to make dedicated KR's now.

I found some code at 4E28-4E3F that controls INT returns. I thought maybe you could make more sense out of it than I could. The best I got sort of semi inserting other bytes from different plays was to give the int return guy a lot of blocking making it easy to rturn INT's. I also made it so that you could return ints' for TD's every time by substituting the TD celebration code (pointers?) one line above it.

There is code for other special plays beneath it like fumbles etc.

I know I'll have the tradtionallist scream bloody murder... but assuming this fix works... I'd like to see it in a lot of roms... I think making guys that are truly fast punt returners get their dues and guys like Muster not return would take Tecmo to another level. It's not changing what the programmers intended... it's changing their error.

I'm sure the punt return sequence is nearly the same code, but it's considered a defensive play. I'm only looking at offensive plays at the moment.

However, I know that with punts it is possible to outkick the return man. I've had this happen a couple times. I'm not sure why the KR is able to suck the ball in, but the PR is not. If this is really the case, then it's quite possible that using the same method to change the PR will simply not work.

It's not changing what the programmers intended... it's changing their error.

I would have to believe they knew about it and figured it was for the better. Kickoffs especially are incredibly easy to return with a 75 MS person. It would have been great to have a KR/PR MS attribute for each player, but they were really pressed for space. I figure this is probably something low on their todo list, considering it doesn't terribly hurt gameplay.

• 1 year later...

The "punt shank bug" is a side effect from the Punt Return fix.

(It's in the "nestsb hacking info and patches" download - the patch is called "dedicatedpuntreturner.ips")

Here's how it goes: If someone shanks a punt (really low meter) the PR can't catch up to it and if the punt team gets to the ball before the PR can "suck it in", it will be an infinite fumble - no one can pick it up, and the game must be reset.

I think to fix it, the "boost" needs to be there so the PR can get to the short kick quickly. Now probably the boost bytes were overwritten so the PR can have his actual MS loaded - so maybe there's not room to add in the boost?

I applied the "punt returner MS" patch to tsb and compared it to a default one.

Here are the results of the differences:

$Loc--- PATCHED ----DEFAULT

$AAE0 --- EF ---- E1

$AAE1 --- E4 ---- 00

$AAE3 --- FE ---- DF

$AAE4 --- FF ----- FE

looks like that's all that changed using the patch that's available here at knobbe.

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't gotten a chance to test this fully but from looks alone it appears the patch isn't correct. The line should be B1 00 48 EC EF E4 DF FE FF and then I believe the computer KR will not run backwards after the catch.

Not a big deal, but I had a couple things happen during a season game.

Had a 25 ms returner; he barely got to the ball on a full kick off. On a safety punt, he didn't get to the ball, but sucked it in.

Checking his condition after the game he was bad, so may have been 19 ms at the time.

• 6 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I haven't gotten a chance to test this fully but from looks alone it appears the patch isn't correct. The line should be B1 00 48 EC EF E4 DF FE FF and then I believe the computer KR will not run backwards after the catch.

I applied this code, but now I get a random glitch. When Player 1 kicks off right after the power and when the power meter goes away, sometimes Player 2's name appears and then right away disappears. If Player 2's name is log enough it will even leave the last letter. This doesn't happen every time but I know it has to deal with this code as if I change it back to what was in the Original TSB it works fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? I want the KR to return at the right speed but the glitch is very irritating. Any help is appreciated.

Note that this doesnt happen on every kickoff. Randomly when P1 kicks to P2. But not everytime P1 kicks to P2

Original 0x8100: 00 48 EC E3 30 EF E1 00 E4 DF FE FF D0 F0 48 EC

Modified 0x8100: 00 48 EC EF E4 DF FE FF E4 DF FE FF D0 F0 48 EC

Edited by TheRaja

• 11 months later...

So I am STILL having this issue, and even went extra steps to try and resolve it.

First, I got an Original TSB Rom with no changes (28 Teams)

Then the only thing I changed was this 0x8100 code

TO: 00 48 EC EF E4 DF FE

Even when this is the only thing changed I am noticing that on kickoff randomly the P2 name disappears (not on every Kickoff though). This is the issue Im having on my Rom too and was worried it was something I added, but now I add this code alone to the NES Rom and get the error.

Also I checked the TB.org 2015 Rom and found they used this code for 0x8100: 00 48 EC E3 30 EF E1 so did they not correct the KR Speed issue? I added the code from above to the TB.org 2015 Rom (00 48 EC EF E4 DF FE) and notice that it doesnt give the "randomly remove kick returner name" error. Is this an issue where the code above is for the 32 man Rom only? If so what can I do to change it for 28 team rom?

Any help is appreciated :)

Edited by TheRaja

The name disappearing is just a by-product of the fix -- I've seen it on every rom that uses it.  For me, the occasional disappearance of the returner's name is a small price to pay in order to get the actual returner in the game.

Yeah thats why I have left it in my last 2 roms, just annoying as we commentate the games and with the name disappearing it just is annoying. Thanks for letting me know its a byproduct Ill keep looking to see if I can fix it.