Best/Worst match-ups in original tecmo bowl. 2 Player mode

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

The best of the best!

SF vs MIA....the top 2 passing teams on the planet. just recently we had a combined 50 points in a game!?!?! SF has the making to be a top defensive unit, but not against Marino and co.....i think this the only team on the game that can just destroy thier defense, with the only other exception being Elway and co. well, we allow qb scambling, so thats help keep the defense nervous when Elway has the ball.

CHI vs NYG....2 awesome defenses always knock heads here, and this may be 1 of 2 teams that has a chance at shutting payton down all together. NYG lacks a bit on offense, but thier special teams will more than make up for it. always a classic game, where points are usually at a premium.

CHI vs CLE....the kick return bowl. Gentry and McNeil make this fun to watch, but not so fun to play, as you hope to hell you dont give up a return or 2 in the game to kill you. CHI is a decidedly better team, but with CLE's defense, and McNeil looming, this gets exciting.

NYG vs SF....wanna keep Joe cool from getting another ring? LT and Banks can do it. The only defense that i think SF needs to fear. Granted WSH/MIN and possibly DEN could throw a wrench in the 9ers plans, but over the course of a game those units are gonna wear out. NYG has more balls on D and a decent offense to be able to smoke the 9ers.

DEN vs SF....with Elways lazer passes, they are are capable of hanging with SF, but without a top tier defense things can look bad by early 4th qtr....still exciting to watch.

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Best ones:

OAK-NYG = The plays and defenses keep both teams in it at any given time.

SF4-CHI = Ditto as above, however the slight nod would go to the Bears in this as their defense has a fast dude at any position you need.

NYG-MIN = Just a personal sentimental favorite because these are the two teams involved in my first ever Tecmo game, and there are great memories voice recorder from these titanic clashes.

Worst ones:

IND-DAL = Nothing worse than drawing out an already L O O O N G game than with two of the worst Tecmo has to offer.

MIN-MIA = This is kinda like above, but with these two teams on the field there will at least be more scoring and defense.

Stadawim.......

as for IND/DAL.....its a decent match-up as the offenses can rule that game on a good day......Walker vs Dickerson....alright! and other than Bickett(IND) there aint a fast defender on the turf. we do play with some modified rules that states only the LB position player can block FG's, so that makes Bickett kinda valuable on defense, cause if you cant get the ball to at least the 30 yard line, then you dont have a good chance at kicking a FG vs IND.

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Well, you said two player mode. And i do all my basing on the games i have played before way way way back in the day. So i just remember that when we did our best-of-seven (then best-of-five) series, we got a lot of games in and got to know some teams fairly well. Now, we have the TCS started and hope to have different results by facing everybody straright up with everyone involved. Hopefully Miami might actually be better than a no-series-winning team.

And we don't have the version with Dickerson.

Bruddog, and TSB.....its very understandable why tecmo super bowl is regarded as a better game with the stats, and all the other goodies, but its the sheer chess match of regular ass tecmo bowl that really intrests me and my friends.

since there are really no random hapenings in tecmo bowl(like the wr jumping to catch the ball in TSB, fumbles, or an open wr dropping a ball, or whatever)......tecmo bowl comes down to the simple game of....can you out play the other guy, and out think him with the limited 4 plays you have to choose from. can you playpick him in a tight spot, and avoid his runs when he calls it at your controlled defender. Can you play the field position battle long enuf until your opponent screws up, or until you yourself blows it with a INT. These are all the aspects of Tecmo Bowl that make it my favorite game to play.

Ive played a lot of tecmo bowl and alot of tecmo super bowl, and i'll stick to TB on account of the game play, and the set-up. granted i wish there were onside kicks in TB and maybe that WSH and MIN didnt have the dreaded wr reverse, but other than those 2 screw ups, the game rules in my book.

Now gimme a break and lemme enjoy the huge tecmo bowl trophy i got sittin here in the living room that i just won in the finale of the season we just finished.

Fort Dodge Tecmo Bowl League rules!

Now Hopefully we can gets the next season going here soon.

Can you say - 9 players?

Just kidding, really. I like the gameplay of TB just as much as i like all the new little nifty things they put in TSB to make it more like real football. When i look back on all of our scores and compare them TB vs TSB (any version) all of TBs seem to be closer and are typically TD laced, as opposed to a battle of FGs. Only a couple of things really prevent TB from being the best of the series.

PENALTIES!

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

A lot has changed since this thread was created...thats for sure.

Denver vs Seattle has become one of the most dreaded match-up we play. As the years have passed, and our strategy has grown, this game has become one of the most difficult to get through. Teams completely mirroring each other. Any little screw up will cost you in this game.

Colts vs Giants has turned into an interesting one as well. By exerting much patience in the passing game and letting the routes develop, the Colts passing attack of all things really equalizes the Giants supreme defense. The Giants have to exert a lot of energy stopping Dickerson, and calling run plays. That allows the Colts to nickel and dime them down the field. You have to stay in the pocket and avoid the pass rush a little, but pass 2 has the receivers spread out too far apart for even LT to cover all the ground needed to pick off Trudeau when that play fully develops.

Colts also can match the Giants with punting, so New York always has a long field to work against.