How to beat the 49ers?

Green28

Use a team with a decent offense and a defense that can stop the pass. I have my best success against those fartknockers with Houston and the Giants. I can always outscore them with the Fab 4 and I can shut down their pass game with RJ and Bubba. With the Giants, you need to control the clock on offense, and when on defense, always pick a passing play, but tell LT that Montana has bonus money in his back pocket. Other teams that are worth a try (but aren't always consistent) are Pittsburgh (good defense), Buffalo, and da Raidaz. Personally, I'd recommend Houston. I know Moonwalk probably does too.

Control the clock with a good RB and pray for one or two defensive stops. Sure, they can strike at will, but you're gonna have to trust some of your secondary to make a stop or turnover sometime during the game. My friend used this strategy against a tough MAN opponent with the Bears and was successful. The score was very ugly, needless to say.

Trying to get into a shootout just won't work.

Consistently. If you mean anything much greater than 50%, then hopefully the man player is worse than you. You can either go with the outscore approach and go with a team like the Bills or Houston. Or you can try a ball control appraoch and choose one of the better secondaries in the game, CHI,MIN,PIT,etc. Granted CHI is probably the only team that can muster enough of an offense to be legit.

Houston is really ideal since they are fairly similar to the Niners and have RJ to pick off some passes.

As the resident 49ers player among my friends, I'm going to have to disagree with Bad Moon and say the two teams that always scared me the most were the Oilers and to a much lesser (but still notable) extent the Rams.

This is because they have the pass attacks to really make it a shootout vs tecmo's greatest run defense (drones that seem to make far too many smart plays + Lott = tough). In my many games vs. the Giants and other run/defense oriented teams I have never had a problem dominating because Lott is just too overpowering and Rice walks on water.

I might give the Bills a try though I don't think I've ever played against them as the niners. I imagine they would be pretty good with a pass attack that can get in a real zone and thurman thos. who can be hard to contain. The defense is good enough to get lucky once or twice(this is the rams big problem).

The secondary of SF is very good, but if you mix it up right, you're still going to win over the top with Hill and friends and a good LA player can score on all but one possession (the mandatory Everett interception possession).

Notes on the Rams: Because they are so bad on D i'd advise kicking onsides (yes, I know the coverage team is awful. yes, i won vs. SF in my only game against them recovering an onsides kick) and playing for lucky breaks (fluke int, keeping players in bounds for fumble chances). The big perk of playing with them is that they are such a bad team you will look like a tecmo god if you can beat your friends with some regularity using them. and flipper with thank you.

As the resident 49ers player among my friends, I'm going to have to disagree with Bad Moon and say the two teams that always scared me the most were the Oilers and to a much lesser (but still notable) extent the Rams.

I was thinking maybe the Oilers, but I've known people to get into shootouts against the Niners with really good teams like the Bills and still lose frequently. The Oilers might have enough passing to overcome the 49ers in a shootout, but probably not every time, at least if both players are of equal strength.

The best way I know of is to play with the Giants and bring the house (LT) every down. With the exception of the plays where the back goes in motion because LT is double teamed. Then I just use the Free Safety to either stop the run or cover the recievers.

back in the day my friend was a niner fan, so i played with my oilers and met him in the superbowl, and then sometimes i wanted to be a smart ass and play him in week 1 with the G men. Lets just say my winning percentage wasnt that great, i remember one game with the G men ...last play of the game i lost it to fuckin rice. Final score 56-63, i suppose the Defenses took the day off, since it was 2 plays to rice here, 2 long runs by O J anderson there. i guess to beat them u better hope u pick their play on i would say a good 33 percent of the time, and COVER with LT, so u have enuff quickness to get back to taylor, cause the obvious guy u have to stop is rice, and then that just lets u get killed by the ground game of rathman and craig, but id take my chances with that and possibly make one of them fumble.

I agree here because I've found one of the best ways to stop the great passing attacks are to blitz because if the QB is on the move, he's a lot less accurate and you could pick up a sack or block the pass.

If you let Montata sit in the pocket and throw a ball without any duress, odds are that he can complete the ball in to triple coverage. The downside of course is that you will get burned on completed passes.

The best way I know of is to play with the Giants and bring the house (LT) every down. With the exception of the plays where the back goes in motion because LT is double teamed. Then I just use the Free Safety to either stop the run or cover the recievers.