anyone else ever had 1,000 yards rushing with bo in 1 game?

Kimrari

I seem to remember getting over 1000 with Thurman Thomas many years ago. I did this by playing against a very weak team. I would pile on the yards for Thurman by do the following:

I would run him down to about the 25 yard line and get tackled. Then I would call a pass play and run Kelly (QB Bills) backwards out of the shot gun as far as I could and take about a 60 yard sack. I would then run Thurman to the about the 15 to get a first down, take another long sack, run Thomas again and get a first down at the 5, take another long sack, then finally score a TD. That way I could get over 300 yards on the same drive.

Of course the 1000+ yards for Thomas came at the expense of the team losing 100s of yards on the sacks.

As far as getting 1000 yards legitimately, I'm not sure there's enough time in the game.

I suppose it may be possible with all but the fastest RBs in the game. And against the worst rushing defenses & special teams (you need to get a few onside kick recoveries as well as a not so good punter working for you). I can see where this would be perilously easy if a MAN opponent were to help you (be REALLY easy if he punted on his first possession), but it still seems slightly far-fetched in the vs COM theater.

This isn't to say i'm a true unbeliever, but DAMN....

I tried Bo on a couple of other teams just to see, and he got 818 yds in a 84-0 thwomp of the Colts. I then realized that the punting unit of the Pats would be more well-suited for the task (can't nobody beat Stark's punts), so i tried him against them. He got 810 yds as they squeaked by the hapless Pats, 91-0. But these are also with "customized" settings in order for me to get the ball back quicker.

I also tried to see if it was just Bo, so i went to Barry. He got 751 yds against (again) the bumbling Colts as they wrecked 'em 70-7.

I'm still working these new ideas, and i'm going to try with the faster backs (N.Anderson, O.Anderson, T.Thomas, C.Okoye) just to compare.

But this made an interesting scenario come to light. If you were to take one of these teams through a season, it would be extremely easy for you to run the RB to death in, say 4 games in the season and easily come away with the rushing title while committing solely to the pass the rest of those games to balance the offense. Be interesting to see some of the resultant numbers of those attempts.

This has now become a mission.

I gave another it another shot, against the Cardinals this time. Whupped 'em 82-7, but only racked up 759 yds. I got to try Nameless's approach.

Also got my room/play mate involved. He made 3 attempts with Boakland, 2 versus the Patriots, one versus the Seahawks. He got 711 & 663 yds against the Pats in 72-0 & 77-7 victories, respectively. Against the Seahawks he got 724 yds in a 70-0 drubbing.

He also tried with Barry; and surprisingly had better luck. Played against the Colts and got 789 yds in a 37-0 squeaker (he actually used Nameless's idea), then played the Cardinals and got 796 yds in a 77-0 schtompin'.

Okay, so this is probably going to occupy our near futures....

Alright, I'm on the mission too! You guys should try running against the browns, their defense sucks ass. I played about five or six games tonight, and got 790 and 813 or someting like that with Bo. The highest I've gotten has been 890 with Neal Anderson. I just have to play around with the scenario's, but It's within reach. My goal is to get it this weekend.

Hey, maybe some of us just don't have your touch Nameless. In which case, you da man.worshippy.gif I think my rushing prowess is strong enough, but i ain't gettin' no 1000 yds with Bo in 4 Tecmo quarters LEGITIMATELY.

That being said, i "cracked" it last night. Played the Seahawks for my first time, and got him 1026 yds on (get this) 19 carries. We barely won the game though, 2-0! Yes, i cheated and tried your suggestion Nameless. Ran Bo forward, Marcus back. I'm bettin' this isn't what the dude originally did. But no matter what was said, i'd love to see it take place without some literary exaggeration (i still don't believe it legitimately and literally possible).

Also got a chance to run him against a defense we know sucks ass, the Packers. Got 943 yds there, in a 8-5 squeaker. Actually only used the forward-back method through half the game (i was convinced to try during the course of the game).

Browns blow too, fuzz? Cool. Be all over that ass next.

I mean, once you run back with Marcus and don't score, there's no real difficulty to it. So grandly illegit.

It is impossible to do it legitimately; you will rush for at least 10 TDs, so that means 12 guaranteed kickoffs for you. Each of your kickoffs takes say 30 Tecmo seconds (we won't count your own kickoff/return mandated by the half and boost up the CPU's returns). So that already means already one whole quarter is gone, and then some. Using the same analysis, knock off the entire second quarter and then half of the third for the CPU's returning the ball to you either by kickoff or punt, an equal amount of time added. (Note: the number of returns is equal for each team, and since MAN takes usually twice as long as the CPU due to breaking out, this all works out as at least a decent estimate - 11 pairs of kickoff/returns each lasting a minute is somewhere around 2 1/2 quarters).

Now say you can blitz or otherwise stop the CPU in 15 Tecmo seconds (average). They are going to go at least the 11 times, so that will take off the rest of the third quarter. Now you have one entire 4th quarter to rush the field 10 times and then about 10 yards to cap it, assuming nothing goes wrong. That _bare minimum_ of yards will take you at least 20 seconds per 100 rush yards (straightline possessed Jackso rush), so that's down to the two minute warning.

And these are all underestimates for the most part, especially the 20 seconds per Jackso rush. That assumes you are going to have the ball always on no more than your 10, in order to rush for the 1000 yards in 11 attempts. That isn't going to happen with safety kickoffs and punts, since you will be returning the ball to quite an advanced level. So you have to score more TDs. And that means more kickoffs and defense. The only even theoretically possible way is to take _no_ time off the clock with defense, as in getting 2 second safeties every last time, busting it for the full jack every time, and then getting long kickoffs back from the CPU every time and then getting told by the kick coverage. In short, no freakin' way is anybody who's rushed for 1000 with Bo legit.

I simply don't think it's possible to do it legitimately. You saw the analysis, and it doesn't look good. Since you already rushed for the 1000 in 3 games of trying, I don't think it's necessary for me to repeat what is so easily accomplished. Not like I would have done anything differently, and I didn't meant to imply that I would have done it legitimately.

So this is to say the effort you plan to put forth that you spoke of ^ will include the aforementioned running Marcus back to get Bo forward? I'm just asking because you put that statement down with what felt like much bravado.

• 4 weeks later...

just out of curiosity, did you...

pick a week with bo in excellent

change all the offensive plays

put in all the backups...which doesn't change much

run backwards after every 99 yard gain by bo

run backwards on all kick offs

What was the final score?

i'll have to rejoin competition for the sketchy-at-best yardage contest (1036 is my best), but has anyone beaten 826 without running backwards with a single player? i didn't play a perfect game (the other team got a first down off of a bullshit catch) so it should be very beatable. the score was pretty ridiculous but i don't remember exactly

• 2 weeks later...

17 carries, 1361 yards against the Colts Week 3, 14-0 final.

Did runbacks with Gault, Bo was in excellent, put in Smith and Bell at WR for the hitting power. I wasn't planning on going for the record, but I accidentally kicked an on-side kick at the start and recovered, and then decided, hey, might as well see how many rushing yards I can get.