'Sweetness'

~Tailback King~

Can't compare eras. Running game and game is different over decades. Barry and Emmit same time. Jim Brown, Walter , Tony Dorsett, Earl Campbell, Gayle Sayers, Franco Harris are from a different era. Just like passing is the phenom now, running was the thing back in the day. That's why it is called old school when you depend on the ground game. And if we can have greatest season dictate the conversation with Dickerson, then i bring greatest NFL carry, 99 1/2 by #33. With only 10 offensive players on field....ron springs thought newhouse was coming in, and left the huddle to the sideline. Plus TD also split time early on with ohter backs....man Tom Landry was ahead of his time with a 2 back system:) And I agree with DH, "IF ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have merry christmas." the late Michael Clark Duncan from Slammin' Salmon.

Ty cobb is baseball, and at least Rose played in the league when racist bastards like cobb couldnt keep just white people playing. So cobb can go f his a with his mom watching.

Thats why I bought up Brown... Knew it was a matter of time. Stats in football and baseball get judge differently. But youre saying most of all time doesnt matter then I guess E. Smith was a chump. Not even close. Thats about a dumb as it comes. Still no facts to show me, just opinions...

Emmit

4409 CAR 18,355yds 4.2 per 164tds 515 rec 3224 YDS 11tds----226 games

54 FUMBLES IN 4924 TOUCHES----1 IN EVERY 91 TOUCHES

3 Super Bowl Trophies

RUSHING TITLES---4, 3 CONSECUTIVE (one of which is when he held out 2 games for contract)

MOST RUSH TDS PLAYOFFS CAREER---19, MOST CAREER RUSH YDS PLAYOFFS 1569

1 OF ONLY 5 BACKS WITH 10,000 YDS RUSH AND 400 REC.

RUSHING CHAMP AND SUPER BOWL CHAMP UNPRECEDENTED 3 TIMES

Barry

3062 CAR 15,269yds 5.0 PER 99 TDS 352 REC 2921 YDS 10 TDS---153 GAMES

41 FMBLES IN 3414 TOUCHES----1 IN EVERY 83 TOUCHES

0 SUPER BOWL TROPHIES

RUSHING TITLES---4, BACK TO BACK ONCE

play off records???????

Oh yeah ran for 200 yds once.

Plus he could juke really really good.

Facts are facts, that is what i go with. numbers and titles. If you have one you are talked about as great, but

I guess when you have both, you are over rated.

By the way.......Dickerson has the playoff record for most yards rushing in a game...Emmitt can't touch him. And if Dickerson had that Cowboys line of the 90's????????......I'm sure you can finish the rest.

Again thats a what if, every back can say that. But he didnt. I say Bo was the greatest in my opinion, but thats my opinion. Stats say differently. no one still has answered why emmitts backups didnt succeed when he was out... If the line was as good as everyone says and such a major part of his success, then why couldnt his backups even put at least one 100 yard game? But to not even have Emmitt in the top 3 is just dumb. What God didnt give him in ability, he gave him in heart and determination. Do a highlight reel for him and tell me he wasnt great...

Edited by drunken_honkey

Again thats a what if, every back can say that. But he didnt. I say Bo was the greatest in my opinion, but thats my opinion. Stats say differently. no one still has answered why emmitts backups didnt succeed when he was out... If the line was as good as everyone says and such a major part of his success, then why couldnt his backups even put at least one 100 yard game? But to not even have Emmitt in the top 3 is just dumb. What God didnt give him in ability, he gave him in heart and determination. Do a highlight reel for him and tell me he wasnt great...

.........I will. Don't get me wrong, I think Emmitt was a beast, and probably the closest thing as far as heart goes to Walter Payton...just the detemination in his mind to tell himself "they WILL NOT stop me".......and for the most part thet didn't.

On a serious note, which I have refrained from until now, I don't think anyone in this thread was ever diminishing Emmitt's abilities or questioning his greatness. Emmitt was a GREAT back. I would personally put him somewhere between the Top 5 and 10 RBs of all time, and most "experts" would agree. I use the term experts loosely. If anyone wants to take offense to that, then oh well. Personally, I think it's dumb to even argue "Greatest Ever" when it comes to NFL positions because there are so many variables that play a part in each player's success. How effective was the O-Line. Was there a good team around him. What era did he play in. Did other teams have to worry about the passing attack. Was the player over/under used. What style offense did they play in. What stats are more important than others. How many championships did that player win. What if they were on this team instead of that team. The list goes on. Most of it is subject to opinion.

Plus, it's a QB league now! Why are we talking about these "has-beens"? :-P

you guys need to quit using your dicks to think. USE YOUR EYES.

watch the freaking TAPES and let the beautiful football magic unfold.

you will probably see that Gale, Barry, and Sweetness were on a WHOLE OTHER LEVEL.

DON'T show us any more numbers!

Edited by buck

Emmitt was as much a "product of a team/system" as any other great that has ever been. YOU PLAY TO THEIR STRENGTHS.

As for pure God-given, raw, athletic ability, it goes something like this Bo/Barry/Walter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else.

(I would also argue for Reggie Bush here with the gifted except when he got to the NFL he turned into a complete pussy. Very few people have the ability to accelerate while moving laterally like he does (See Walter & Barry. Sorry Bo.). The dude is gifted. I wish he would run harder.)

you guys need to quit using your dicks to think. USE YOUR EYES.

watch the freaking TAPES and let the beautiful football magic unfold.

you will probably see that Gale, Barry, and Sweetness were on a WHOLE OTHER LEVEL.

DON'T show us any more numbers!

I'm using my eyes buck...and I can't believe I'm seein' that you forgot to mention Dickerson in the 'WHOLE OTHER LEVEL' quote you just wrote...(scroll to the top of the page)...Oh well. I'm tired of sayin' how good this guy is. I just wish someone would see it my way cuzz it's right in front of your faces...so are his numbers if you bother to look them up. Some things you just can't deny.

Emmitt might have the career yardage record, but Eric got the best season.

so are his numbers if you bother to look them up. Some things you just can't deny.

Using Tailback King logic, I have determined the top 5 RBs of all-time.

18RAl.ong

You are all wrong about anything else because nothing else matters.

Using Tailback King logic, I have determined the top 5 RBs of all-time.

18RAl.ong

You are all wrong about anything else because nothing else matters.

I don't think so Dave. My list would be comprized of the BEST, (not only NFL) and numbers don't alwayz give the whole picture. My list would look like this........................................

1) ERIC DICKERSON

2) WALTER PAYTON

3) JIM BROWN

4) BARRY SANDERS

5) HERSCHEL WALKER

6) EARL CAMBELL

7) GAYLE SAYERS

:cool: EDDIE GEORGE

9) OTTIS ANDERSON

10) GEORGE ROGERS, TONY DORSETT, MARCUS ALLEN, JOHN RIGGINS, O.J. SIMPSON, CURTIS MARTIN, CORY DILLON, & ROGER CRAIG are tied for tenth.....this list is proof that I don't just look at stats, but know that any one of these players on my list would do just as well, if not better than anyone I didn't mention.............

.........and just for the *%#! of it, here's my Top 10 shoulda' coulda' woulda' list..........personal problems, injuries, & career length stopped them.........

1) MARCUS DUPREE

2) JOHNNY JOHNSON

3) BO JACKSON

4) CURT WARNER

5) NATRONE MEANS

6) CHRISTIAN OKOYE

7) MIKE ROZIER

:cool: KEVIN MACK

9) BARRY FOSTER

10) RICKY WATTERS, LAWRENCE PHILLIPS, & CHRIS WARREN are tied for 10th............

.........and this is all in my humble opinion. Ha hA Ha!!!

{p.s. for some reazon, both my 8th places have a cool guy with shades.....Eddie George and Kevin Mack are very cool, but that was unintentional}

Edited by ~Tailback King~

whataboutme? 143 yards PER GAME. which is the highest single-season ypg.

post-5602-0-62265800-1348778497_thumb.jp

Never saw a full game of O.J., but I seen enough highlights (plus Naked Gun 1 & 2!!!) to know he was a studd........He's tenth on my list. Thanx for reminding me............BTW buck, using Dickerson & Dupree in TSB on my Nintendo is the sh!t.

• 2 months later...