Getting ready to Keep NFL Challenge Alive

raiderfan2kx

Well I'm Trying to Bring NFL Challenge back to life forever because it is a great MS-DOS Game and is released in 1985 by XOR Software. It was notable for being one of the stronger football simulations of its time, with statistical models to not only the NFL season, but also the outcome of a single football game. Being one of the first football games for the PC it is still considered one of the best requiring 10 man-years to make and over 30,000 lines of code.

So if you want to Download the Game: Click this Link

The Add-On Disks for these seasons can be found in this attachment which consists of 1985, 1988, 1990 and 1991 NFL Seasons, but unfortunately the 1986, 1987 & 1992 NFL Season Disks are now missing as well as the Dream Season Disk in which ESPN aired a special NFL Dream Season in 1988, so if anyone has these disks and needs to upload, reply here.

And if you want to upload NFL Teams past and present (including homebrewed versions of the 1986, 1987 & 1992 NFL Seasons) as well as the 2012 NFL Season (including NFL Players like Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson and Tony Romo), please post it by replying here for your upload.

nflchal-add.zip

This is what I fit into my box. (That's what she said.)

4D Boxing.zip

Abuse.zip

Alien Carnage.zip

Alien Rampage.zip

Alone in the Dark.zip

Arkanoid.zip

Battle Chess.zip

Bio Forge.zip

Bio Menace.zip

Black Thorne.zip

Blake Stone.zip

Blood.zip

Budokan.zip

Crusader No Regret.zip

Crusader No Remorse.zip

Death Rally.zip

Descent 2.zip

Descent.zip

DGeneration.zip

Doom 1.zip

Doom 2 Extra Levels.zip

Doom 2.zip

Duke Nukem 2.zip

Duke Nukem 3D.zip

Duke Nukem EP 1.zip

Duke Nukem EP 2.zip

Epic Pinball.zip

Flashback.zip

Flight of the Amazon Queen.zip

Gabirel Knight SOTF.zip

Goblins Quest 3.zip

Golbins Quest 2.zip

Grand Theft Auto.zip

Heretic.zip

Hero's Quest.zip

Heroes of Might and Magic.zip

Hexen.zip

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.zip

Jagged Alliance.zip

King's Quest 1 - Quest for the Crown.zip

King's Quest 2 - Romancing the Throne.zip

King's Quest 3 - To Heir is Human.zip

King's Quest 4 - The Perils of Rosella.zip

Krypton Egg (Arknoid Clone).zip

Lands of Lore.zip

Lemmings.zip

Lure of the Temptress.zip

Magic Carpet.zip

Mario (User Made).zip

Master of Magic.zip

Operation Body Count.zip

Oregon Trail.zip

Out of This World.zip

Pirates.zip

Police Quest 1.zip

Police Quest 2.zip

Police Quest 3.zip

Privateer.zip

Quake.zip

Quarantine.zip

RAC Rally Car.zip

Raptor Call Of The Shadows.zip

Relentless Little Big Adventure.zip

Rise Of The Triad.zip

Scorched Earth.zip

Shadow Warrior.zip

Sim City 2000.zip

Space Quest 1.zip

Space Quest 2.zip

Space Quest 3.zip

Star Wars - Dark Forces.zip

Star Wars - Tie Fighter.zip

Strife.zip

Strike Commander.zip

Stunts.zip

The Dig.zip

Tomb Raider.zip

Tyrian 2000.zip

UFO Enemy Unknown (Original).zip

Ultima 7.zip

Ultima Underworld.zip

Wacky Wheels.zip

Warcraft 2.zip

Wing Commander 2.zip

Wing Commander.zip

Witchaven.zip

Wolfenstein 3d.zip

Worms.zip

X-Com UFO Defense.zip

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well I'm Trying to Bring NFL Challenge back to life forever because it is a great MS-DOS Game and is released in 1985 by XOR Software. It was notable for being one of the stronger football simulations of its time, with statistical models to not only the NFL season, but also the outcome of a single football game. Being one of the first football games for the PC it is still considered one of the best requiring 10 man-years to make and over 30,000 lines of code.

So if you want to Download the Game: Click this Link

The Add-On Disks for these seasons can be found in this attachment which consists of 1985, 1988, 1990 and 1991 NFL Seasons, but unfortunately the 1986, 1987 & 1992 NFL Season Disks are now missing as well as the Dream Season Disk in which ESPN aired a special NFL Dream Season in 1988, so if anyone has these disks and needs to upload, reply here.

And if you want to upload NFL Teams past and present (including homebrewed versions of the 1986, 1987 & 1992 NFL Seasons) as well as the 2012 NFL Season (including NFL Players like Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson and Tony Romo), please post it by replying here for your upload.

That game was awesome back in the day.  I was just talking to my dad yesterday about it.  My uncle back in 1985 or 86 had this and I remember him and my dad trying to out strategize each other while playing it. We were wondering if there was an up to date version of it still in production? Any way I'll have to download it and take a look.

This is what I fit into my box. (That's what she said.)

check out Family Feud 

and if you want to go really old school, like 286ish Gorilla Basic and Snake

Typing Tutor with the falling word bombs is still pretty bad ass too.  Had that on the 5 1/4's

Edited by Dusto

• 2 weeks later...

Every time i launch the game it crashes at the kickoff, any ideals why? i read all the help stuff and foruns n found nothing.

I have the same issue. I downloaded DOSBOX.  I get to select a Home and Visiting team, choose whether to Coach or let the computer play, choose which side of the keyboard.  It then goes to a coin flip and as soon as the flip is done it crashes and says cannot detect some .pdb file. Using Windows 8, but like I said using DOSBOX to run game.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Assuming anyone is still paying attention, this is to those who have trouble getting the game to work (it crashes after the coin flip). The game extracts with the teams in the directories for their seasons. They need to be copied to the main NFL directory for the game to function. If the game is extracted to c:\NFL, the the 1984 teams for instance will be in the c:\NFL\1984 directory. Simply copy the teams from the 1984 season directory to the main NFL directory (copy c:\NFL\1984\*.* c:\NFL\). If you want to use different teams just copy the ones from that season directory into the main NFL directory, overwriting any teams that are there. You can also mix and match teams from different seasons.

I too am working to keep the game alive. I have been running a league (NAXFL - the North American Xor Football League) since 2006 with teams created by the various GM's. The last few seasons are up on YouTube. I've found a surprising number of people from around the world who remember the game fondly.

• 9 months later...

Update: Looks Like I Would Keep the NFL Challenge Thread Open permanently but I'm working on a New Zip File to add more seasons as well as the Madden XOR utility which will be avaliable for Download and maybe NFL Challenge needs to be using a new Windows Utility (without Dosbox) maybe if someone needs to create it.

• 4 months later...

Still heavily involved with XOR NFL Challenge. We are nearing the end of our league's ninth season and have been active since 2006. Lately we have been delving much further into the "nuts and bolts" of the game. After contact with one of the authors of the original game's college team disks, we are starting our own testing on how the skill and other attributes affect the game play. My goal is eventually to have a template into which one can paste stats for a season and convert them into skills applicable to the game, as well as a method of scaling skills and physical attributes so great teams from different eras can compete against each other.