PowerPak.........mini review..........WOW.

philleyOphish

***Mods, feel free to move if this is not the right section***

Those of you that don't know what a PowerPak is, it's an NES cartridge with a Compact Flash card on it. What you do is simply drag all of your roms from your computer onto the card. Plug the card into the NES PP cartridge and play all of your hacked TSB games on the NES console.

http://www.retrousb....&products_id=34

I ordered this device from RetroZone (http://www.retrousb.com). They are the creators of such fine equipment. I spec'ed mine out with the 4 GB CF card and the USB Reader. I have to say, you can definitely get away with the 2GB. I have probably about 1,000 different roms, including 200+ TSB variations and I still have plenty of room. I don't think there could come a time where the whole drive would be full. (or maybe even half)

After my order was created, I received confirmation emails, shipping confirmation numbers and tracking numbers and my product was delivered in three business days. That's great considering it's going from Cali to Chicago.

For a pricey piece of equipment for a 25 year old machine, I must say, the workmanship is fantastic. Really top notch. The quality is similar to what Nintendo would have produced themselves. The base cost is $135.00. Again, I got the 4GB card and the USB Card Reader, which brought my cost to $164.00.

It's worth every penny if you like to play on the console. Just think about it, you will not ever have to produce a cart with different roms. You can have one cartridge that has hundreds of TSB roms and every NES cart/rom ever produced all in once source. The CF Flash card is a great way to keep up to date with the latest TSB roms on your console right away.

I have used just about all of the off-brand consoles. Some are better than others. However, this PP + a regular NES is a real direct port. To where it doesn't look like an emulated version of the ROM. The colors, control everything is perfect. If you put a real TSB cart and a real NES up against this PP cart in an eye test, you wouldn't be able to pick which one was which. They are identical.

You guys should really see this thing. TSB 2013 is amazing on this system. To see it directly ported over through an NES into an old school projection TV is just remarkable. Seeing these heavily modified roms like the AFL, CFL, Tecmo Street, Buck's stuff, etc, on a regular TV makes it look like the first day that I have ever seen them.

The loading screen is simple with a simple logo, you browse your titles. The screen loads very quickly. You pick your rom. It gives you an option to add a game genie code if you wanted to and then boom, it loads the game in about 4 seconds.

The other nice thing is that if you load a rom and press "reset"...it just resets the game, not the loader. So, if you have to reset the game, you don't have to reload the game. It's setup for faster playing.

When you hit "power" and then "power" back on, then you get the title screen where you can switch roms.

Does anyone else have one of these things? Similar experience?

Edited by philleyOphish

I agree that they kick total ass and are a good investment if you have the disposable income. games play "super tight" vs emulator play.

my 1st one broke like 2 years later and the guy replaced it, very quickly.

however, I still can't get my CF cards to save my games. supposedly it's a certain type of card, but the one the guy sells with it doesn't work for saving...ironic.

Oh dude, this thing is fantastic.

my 1st one broke like 2 years later and the guy replaced it, very quickly.

The company seems to be run very well. I picture one dude running the whole operation out of his basement. I couldn't imagine needing many employees as the demand isn't high enough to have that kind of payroll. But, he runs his operation like a finely tuned machine. Very responsive and timely.

however, I still can't get my CF cards to save my games.

If I remember correctly, the PP will not create new save files. But if you put one in the saves folder with the same name as the rom, it will save on it, but I think it has to be manually saved in the folder first.

Yeah, the PP is a pretty nice device. The guy who runs retrozone is a hacker guy on the nes forums, something rabbit or something I think. I've talked to him on AOLIM before...

I'd bet nesdev. It's the tecmobowl.org of nes hacking.

I've had a PP for two years now. This a truly a great piece of software and recommend it to any one who want to play their NES and Famicom roms on a television.

Yeah, the PP is a pretty nice device. The guy who runs retrozone is a hacker guy on the nes forums, something rabbit or something I think. I've talked to him on AOLIM before...

Bunnyboy . I've bought many repro carts from Bunnyboy's site and the few exchanges we had he's been real nice. He's also post on the NintendoAge forum as well.