I need help with a palette cutscene problem

airkix72

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.

Im working on a ncaa 2012 rom build from scratch and now that I'm almost done with graphics I gave the game a quick whirl.

uh oh

post-6848-0-33641200-1346954183_thumb.pn

I messed it up while doing palette work and I'm sure it's a pretty easy fix but I can't find it for the life of me.

how do I get the bottom of the screen to pull from the right ppu bank????

thanks guys

TSB 2007-32.zip

I did do some redrawing on some stuff but I'm pretty sure I screwed up when I was changing palettes.

although I'm not entirely sure what palette because I did all the editing at the same time. :P

I *think* my problem is I changed something which caused the wrong ppu bank to load.

the graphics are right, the tiles are wrong, the question is how do I get the game to select the right ppu bank when loading the cutscenes.

right now on my rom it's loading ppu bank 74 and that's the bank for large helmet logos, so it produces garbage graphics.

man I hope I'm explaining this right, I know some assembly and hex but this is my first nes edit so I might be explaining it wrong.

Edited by airkix72

man I really screwed the rom up lol

the large helmets before kickoff are screwed up (but not on the team data screen).

looks to be the same problem as my cutscenes, loading from the wrong ppu bank.

now that I think about it I may have screwed something up when I edited out halftime and changed the opening movie to the halftime show.

does anyone know if the halftime or opening cutscenes use a subroutine that affects what ppu bank is loading.

Im pretty sure I accidently changed one piece of hex and now its loading the wrong number in the register

I don't think it has anything to do with the cutscene, the top large helmet on the vs screen does the same thing.

that leads me to believe I tinkered with something that controls the ppu bank for multiple screens.

based solely on previous non nes coding experience, I think a value is set too high or too low and it's loading too high or too low of a bank.

Im learning 6502 on the fly and it's pretty basic, but I need a crash course on ppu bank pointers

Edit:

I figured out what my problem was, a couple of edits I made while tinkering that I forgot about, it wasn't a palette problem, it was a drawing/tile problem. I didn't try to resolve the issue as it wasn't important enough to waste 12 hours on :P

Thanks for the help buck, Im glad you're still looking out for us little people :)

Edited by airkix72