CoachK - The official project thread

TecmoTurd

This was a really good 2-player game; played a lot of it back in high-school on Sega.  

Even a partially updated rom would be sweet (new rosters/attributes/team names - at least).

Minus bug fixes, you can edit court/uniform colors, player number, all their attributes, including things like minutes played, team names, arena names, coach names, playbook...

So, all of this is possible (right now) or not?  Is it just that your stand alone editor is not finished?  Or are there some missing bits of info that make these basic changes impossible?

This was a really good 2-player game; played a lot of it back in high-school on Sega.

Even a partially updated rom would be sweet (new rosters/attributes/team names - at least).

So, all of this is possible (right now) or not? Is it just that your stand alone editor is not finished? Or are there some missing bits of info that make these basic changes impossible?

All is possible. But I believe my brother (cane55) lost all his info when his computer crashed. The editor was missing some ratings info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Alright, here's the scoop.  I've been talking with the MT Remix boys, and I think I have most of the information we need to make a playable game.  I don't have all the stuff to setup the tourney seeding and haven't looked into in-season schedule yet, so this first round could focus on exhibition action.

I've always wanted to have a forum tournament with coach K.  I see several possibilities with this:

1.) Draft and play - run a randomized draft order where you get to choose the team you want to roll with in the whole tourney

2.) Set up all the matchups and people could choose to play whateer matchups they wanted.  If multiple people played the same matchup, we would average all the scores together and the higher average would advance.  Any unplayed games would be simmed.

3.) Make all the teams slightly even (so you could pick your favorite team and not be dominated by some powerhouse).  I envisioned there would be profiles  of defense, shooting, speed and they would all be close to the same with maybe a bump in their specialty. Then, I can pick my favorite team and still be competetive against the powerhouses.

Things that have a good chance of NOT getting done anytime soon:

A publicly releasable editor - in due time, absolutely, but for now I don't have time for the extra work in making this happen this year

Updated logos - the bitch of this is that we don't know how the teams will be doing until it's late in the season, so it's hard to draw logos that quick before tournament time.  I wish there was a way to blank the logos out and make them generic.  We'll see

Things that are needed:

Which teams to include, I think we get 40

Rosters/player types/abilities - Several have professed that they could do this and would be willing, but now that it's possibly a reality, we'll see.  Someone would have to fill in the jersey numbers, abilities, and player type (afro, shirt, black, white skin, etc) for each player on each team.  I have an excel sheet that will help with this.

I haven't tested the ROM in a while, so I don't know if there are any bugs, but I think with what the MT boys sent me, we have most of what we need.

Oh yeah, teams currently on the 2010 ROM:

Kansas St.

Maryland

Mich St.

Butler

Texas

UCONN

St. Mary's

Florida

Purdue

North Carolna

Tennessee

Gonzaga

Kansas

Kentucky

Baylor

Cornell

Washington

Duke

Xavier

New Mexico

Marquette

Georgetown

Texas A&M

Ohio St.

Syracuse

NIU

Vanderbilt

W. Virginia

Villanova

Pittsburgh

Temple

Wisconsin

Wake Forest

Georga Tech

Miami

BYU

Louisville

Nebraska

California

Richmond

I would be more than willing to help gather and enter the team/player data! I don't know coding, but I know basketball (especially the 2010 season being a Butler grad) and obviously the game as we still play it regularly on the Wii. So this might be my only way to help contribute to the cause of getting a new release out, which would be a dream come true for me and the guys that still play it. So shoot that Excel file my way and I'll start researching what I need to populate it...thanks!

You guys would know better if it is worth putting in the extra time to adjust the teams from what they currently are for the 2010 version. I would think getting any playable update actually completed should be the primary goal, but if you can scrap the current teams, doing something better and still finish the update with not too much time added, you probably could make this upgrade last and have some staying power.

One of the issues with any college game is that there are only a handful of teams people like to play with because the rest are either bad or you have no connection with them. So what if we made it so that every team was good and memorable? Coach K is for the 94-95 season, and there are some historical teams in that game for seasons prior to that. So an idea I had was calling this Coach K 2 and having the 40 teams consist of some of the best teams from the next era:  1996-2013. Shockingly, there are only 20 schools that have played in the championship game during that time period, so they would make up half the field with us picking which team was the best one to represent a school if it made multiple appearances (i.e. Butler '10 or '11? Kentucky '96, '97, '98 or 2012?). Could even put two different teams from the same school in if they were from such different eras as in the Kentucky example or for a Duke or UConn. Then you would fill in the rest of the teams with bigger name schools that maybe never quite made it to the title game but are still memorable for one reason or another, and you'd have a hell of a lineup where people wouldn't mind playing as any of the teams because they will all be "good" and you are bound to know/remember several of the players from any team if you are a fan of college basketball.

Again, I'm not in favor of scrapping what you guys have if it isn't feasible, but just an idea I had. And sorry for the long post!

One other thing is that right now only 32 teams are available to play in the tournament.  The 8 all time great teams are for exhibition only.  I'll be looking into how the game filters the tourney and see if I can get all 40 available.  I don't think I'll ever dig too deep into this one to make more teams, as I know sega roms are written differently.  So I'd have to learn the new hex writing.  And I don't think I have that in me at this time.  But 40 teams available seems big enough for now.

You guys would know better if it is worth putting in the extra time to adjust the teams from what they currently are for the 2010 version. I would think getting any playable update actually completed should be the primary goal, but if you can scrap the current teams, doing something better and still finish the update with not too much time added, you probably could make this upgrade last and have some staying power.

One of the issues with any college game is that there are only a handful of teams people like to play with because the rest are either bad or you have no connection with them. So what if we made it so that every team was good and memorable? Coach K is for the 94-95 season, and there are some historical teams in that game for seasons prior to that. So an idea I had was calling this Coach K 2 and having the 40 teams consist of some of the best teams from the next era:  1996-2013. Shockingly, there are only 20 schools that have played in the championship game during that time period, so they would make up half the field with us picking which team was the best one to represent a school if it made multiple appearances (i.e. Butler '10 or '11? Kentucky '96, '97, '98 or 2012?). Could even put two different teams from the same school in if they were from such different eras as in the Kentucky example or for a Duke or UConn. Then you would fill in the rest of the teams with bigger name schools that maybe never quite made it to the title game but are still memorable for one reason or another, and you'd have a hell of a lineup where people wouldn't mind playing as any of the teams because they will all be "good" and you are bound to know/remember several of the players from any team if you are a fan of college basketball.

Again, I'm not in favor of scrapping what you guys have if it isn't feasible, but just an idea I had. And sorry for the long post!

I see what you are saying, but I've always been a longhorn fan and when this game out, i had to find a team.  I was either Wake Forest or Oklahoma State.  Both teams are built to slow the tempo and they play a hell of a 3-2 Zone.  (Big Country and unknown 7' on OSU and the Big Fundamenal on Wake I believe)  Cane55 would always be LSU and he'd kill it with the diamond press.  You really had to do what you're taught which was pass backwards and work the ball down the sides to beat it.  You'd try and throw it downcourt he'd switch and jump and knock the ball out the air.  Illinois was a run and gun team.  We play so many tourneys and I can say that while some teams were easier to play with, they were by no means a ringer.  You really had to get to know your team if you wanted to succeed.

The reason we chose to hack this one was because of the lack of traditional powerhouses and we could add Texas and Miami.... Sorry if no one likes that, but that's why we are hyped to get an editor for this. 

Agreed, honk. And yeah don't worry about expansion. Being able to edit the game as we know it will be sufficient. Well never need more than 32 teams in my opinion anyways.

i agree. But we always saw the last 8 as board choices. Ill be honest that if i couldnt run with texas id prolly not be as interested. I dont even care if they were last in rating. Id still put 60 min of hell on someone. :)

How about top 29 + 3 editors choice schools.

Also yeah, the logos are rarely ever displayed. Only time using conference logos is when two teams from same conf play each other.

ill look into the logos, i will see if i can figure out how it calls the color pallet. See if i can get it to pull from the teams uni pallets instead of the one pallet used for all.