tournament help?

brock455

So i'm trying to Host a nes tsb tournament, in the baltimore/ washington dc area. Im new to hosting a Tournament. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to make the tourney run smoothly?

some questions.

1. how may systems should have? ( i have three systems and copies of the game.)

2. are there any constant rules that tourneys run by?

3. How many hours should i allot for it?

4.Payout or trophies?

I want everyone to have fun, ive been playing tecmo since the day it came out and have introduced many of people to one of the best video games ever made. any suggestions would be very helpful.

thanks all

josh

So i'm trying to Host a nes tsb tournament, in the baltimore/ washington dc area. Im new to hosting a Tournament. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to make the tourney run smoothly?

some questions.

4.Payout or trophies?

I want everyone to have fun, ive been playing tecmo since the day it came out and have introduced many of people to one of the best video games ever made. any suggestions would be very helpful.

thanks all

josh

Hey Josh,

Congrats on running your first Tecmo Super Bowl tournament! I've attended 11 tournaments over the past 3 years (6 of these I've run myself) and I've learned a lot. Here are some answers to your questions (based on my humble opinion):

- I agree with bgboud2, this is a great start. It depends on how many players you want to accommodate and the format. Will you break guys into groups of 4 and do a world cup format for seeding into a single elimination championship bracket? Or will you have double or triple elimination? Personally, I think double or triple elimination is easier.

- Most tournaments use the Madison rules format (or some similar variant):

http://www.tecmomadison.com/Rules

However, check out my rules as well if you decide to run a double or triple elimination with a draft format:

(Attached to this post in PDF format)

Feel free to use a combination of the two or come up with your own rules. There are a lot of great ideas out there.

- A formula you can use to estimate the amount of time a tournament will take is: Number of Players x 25 (Time Estimate Per Game) x Number of games for each player / 60 (Minutes in an Hour) / Number of consoles you will have running.

For example, I limit my tournaments to 28 guys, use double elimination, and have 4 consoles so the formula would read like this: 28 x 25 x 2 / 60 / 4 = 5.83 Hours.

This is fairly accurate based on my experience.

4.Payout or trophies?

- This is entirely up to you. For my first tournament, I paid out 100% to first place with a trophy. For my second tournament, I think I did 70% and a trophy for first and 30% to second. Since then, I decided to get a trophy for the winner and donate all monetary proceeds to charity.

Especially for your first tournament, I would keep it as simple as possible. Securing a venue with enough TV's is also key.

When are you thinking about doing this tournament? If it works within my schedule, I would like to attend and would be happy to help you. I could also bring several consoles and copies of the game.

I remember how anxious I was before running my first tournament. While they are a lot of work, they have also been a lot of fun and totally worth it. Let me know if you have any other questions and I hope this helps!

28-Man TSB Tournament Rankings and Rules.pdf

Edited by UltimateWeapon

ultimate weapon, bgboug2 thank you for you advice. it is very helpful.

1. with any money payout, would this be considered gambling? i think some type of money payout would attract a larger audience, but i don't want to get caught up in legal troubles?

2. do bars or establishments hosting, usually expect some type of the cut?

3. how do or would you handle anyone cheating?

1) I don't know the laws about gambling and all that, though there are some distinctions between games of chance vs. games of skill, and also whether someone is profting from it vs. paying out all the money collected. This would vary from state to state too, but for example, Madison this year was ~170 guys paying $25 each.

2) Depends on the bar. They might expect some amount of guarateed business from it.

3) Cheating how? I guess if someone has the gall to persistently look at the other guy's controller you should all just take him out back and throw him in the dumpster.

ultimate weapon, bgboug2 thank you for you advice. it is very helpful.

1. with any money payout, would this be considered gambling? i think some type of money payout would attract a larger audience, but i don't want to get caught up in legal troubles?

- I wouldn't think it would be considered gambling if you are paying out 100% of the proceeds collected. I agree that a payout will probably attract a larger audience.

- None of the venues I have used for tournaments have ever asked for any type of deposit or portion of the proceeds. Whoever you select will be extremely happy they will be getting a lot of business that day! Another thing you could also do is ask the venue to pay out a portion of the proceeds they collect that day for one of your favorite charities (maybe 10-15%?)

- I outline this in the PDF I attached for my format under Nintendo Malfunctions, Respect, and Rushing Defensive Lineman.

Although I have to admit bgboud2's suggestion made me laugh

3) Cheating how? I guess if someone has the gall to persistently look at the other guy's controller you should all just take him out back and throw him in the dumpster.

28-Man TSB Tournament Rankings and Rules.pdf

4.Payout or trophies?

Hey Josh,

1. Having three systems is a great start. It depends on how many people you expect to show. You should always encourage people to bring. Too much can never be enough since some systems don't hook up properly, carts won't load, and controllers can fail to work. The more, the better.

2. Flip through any of the previous tournaments on this site to get a decent idea of what rules there are. There are some obvious ones like no lurching.

3. It depends on the amount of people. I would say at the minimum 6 hours.

4. Both are great. I don't think there would be any legal issue, especially if it's a fairly small amount.

To answer your other questions, some bars and locales may charge you, some may not. The first location I did the NYC Tourney charged a very small fee. The one place that I have used for the past 2 years does not, but they do make it a policy that participants not bring in any outside food or drink (so they can sell their own).

If your tourney is open to outsiders, let me know. I would make the trek down to DC to play some TSB.