First Impressions

DeBerg

Amazing....I can't express all my feelings in one post about this game. I am extremely lucky the man that runs the Used game store in my town had the patience on me to pay bills so I could have extra money to splurge on this, 15 dollars was a good deal for this game.

This game is fucking hard, I must say. Just playing on the rom before i brought it home, I felt some of that difficulty. I played 3 games all with different teams (Saints, Chiefs, 49ers) and I was feeling where all 3 of those teams had a weakness instantly. This is a good thing cause Tecmo deserves to make it hard on us who play it constantly. The harder the better, bring it on Dallas...

I started off playing the 1992 season, in a 3 year mode. I haven't had as much time as I wanted to, but in 3 weeks I've come to some quick first impressions.

Cincinnati makes me want to scream, especially at the wide receivers! 1 loss thanks to a game winning drop, and 3 picks from Boomer where 2 of them were catchable. Poor Boomer, reminds me of TSB III with the Jets, cause he has barely any help at all.

The Browns suck. They are scrubbier than I expected. Michael Jackson in only 3 games has caught 3 passes for 43 yards. His back up (McCardell) has 4 catches for 102 yards and a Touchdown...That's something to think about. This is the first time I've ever had a game where my Cleveland offense was shut down to just scoring 7 points (against Miami) in a hopeless loss where they only gained 130 yards total.

Tampa Bay is scrubby too, but it don't help with Vinny Testeverde who flat out sucks so bad, that when De Berg comes into the picture, people actually catch the ball :mrgreen: and Mark Carrier is a beast if you use him correctly, and constantly alternate him so he don't get hurt.

Chiefs run game is quite disappointing but a real challenge to play with, since Krieg loves his picks more than QB Chiefs did. Their defense is one of the best. Niel Smith and Derrick Thomas are as deadly as they ever were, and even more roleplayers that help them get pressure get involved.

The Cowboys are going to the Super Bowl! Um...that's if I can't stop it, which I will be trying everything to do. They are probably the best team in the entire game. A top 5 offense, top 3 defense...and on top of that, never having to rely on just one thing(run or pass) to move the ball while their defense is a turnover and sack machine.

Saints defense is the best in the game so far, and my best performances, already 2 shut outs. but their offense totally is crap. Bobby Hebert has little to no help when he's accurate, and the run game tends to really fall hard hoping Hilliard don't fumble, or if Heyward isn't going to go down hard.

Dolphins are a really good team...I think you could make a case that they are equal with Buffalo almost all the way down the board. It's nice seeing Clayton, and even his back up is not that bad.

Houston's offense, is a top 3, as I expected. Moon easily one of the most accurate bomb throwers in this particular season. Defense is good too but lacking. luckily their good defensive line works, and the back field gets picks every now and then. Is this the best team in the AFC? So far I think so.

Buffalo reeks depression. Their offense can tear it up, we know that. But that defense, you have to really use Bruce Smith for everything. To push a hole and help the other guy get pressure, to sack, and to pat down the ball, cause these cornerbacks get absolutely shredded to pieces if you aren't pass rushing and give the guy enough time to make a play. Good offense yes, but I'm really not all that impressed, like I am with Houston who looks to be the ceonteder of the AFC.

Pittsburgh :shock: :shock: :shock: . That defense is simply out standing. 4 turnover shut out against the Jets :wub: It will be interesting to see how high up they rank at the end of the year, I already predict at the least, they will be in the top 10. Of course Niel O'Donnell is average at best, but not a surprise. More a surprise how good Dwight Stone and Eric Green are. Even their RBs are good,this is a damn good team. I think they are better than the actual Super Bowl team on TSB III.

Green Bay - :-P the one team I actually have had the most fun with so far. Their defense don't have Reggie White yet, but still interesting. One game against Minnesota, they intercepted the game winning pass in the back of the endzone as time expired, that was incredible. Favre is not in his full form on this game, which is good, cause it's challenging. I still can average 200-300 yards a game with him. I think that's what makes it so fun, the offense and defense is good but lack luster. I will start out 10-0 and give up 2 TDs and then the game is on. Despite ranking Number 1 overall on defense, I can only count 3 total turnovers with them.

This game is awesome! I haven't even played with the Eagles yet, or seen how many bombs I can throw to defensive backs with Jeff George, this game sure is a blast!

Edited by TecmoNightmare

Not sure if you're playing in season mode first, but if you play in preseason mode, it's possible to play as one year vs another. So you could be the 1992 Oilers vs the 1994 49ers.

Have you ever played TSB III?

Not sure if you're playing in season mode first, but if you play in preseason mode, it's possible to play as one year vs another. So you could be the 1992 Oilers vs the 1994 49ers.

Have you ever played TSB III?

Oh wow that would be awesome. I seen it had records this morning, which I'm planning on going through the game as Houston and trying to shatter some of those records.

Oh yes, i've played TSB III, ran 3 seasons so far. This game seems to be almost identical to it in ways, except it has the animations, 3 year mode, and it's much more difficult. Just the fact I managed to win the Super Bowl with Matt Blundin as league MVP showed how hard the game really is to be a quarterback lol. Average guys like Kosar on this game are posting average numbers so far, which make it a lot harder to play with.

Oh yes, i've played TSB III, ran 3 seasons so far. This game seems to be almost identical to it in ways, except it has the animations, 3 year mode, and it's much more difficult.

The game engine is a bit different as they were transitioning away from TSB I to TSB III. The OL interaction is the biggest difference between II and III as I think you could chip guys a bit easier and thus it was possible to blow up the line. In III you're more than likely going to end up on the ground if you try and break up a grapple.

One other fun thing with II is that it's the only game where you can pick off a pass on a tipped ball. Occasionally even a DL-man will get an interception while laid out on a blocked pass.

One other fun thing with II is that it's the only game where you can pick off a pass on a tipped ball. Occasionally even a DL-man will get an interception while laid out on a blocked pass.

Did not know that was possible, something else to add to it :cool:

I was playing around with it earlier this morning and learned if you press up when selecting a play on defense, it lines up in the goalline position, if you press down + B/A for a defensive play, it lines up in a nickel formation.

Did not know that was possible, something else to add to it :cool:

I was playing around with it earlier this morning and learned if you press up when selecting a play on defense, it lines up in the goalline position, if you press down + B/A for a defensive play, it lines up in a nickel formation.

I'm not sure if I knew that or not. In TSB III the audible stuff is much more obvious and better developed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last night was my first time picking this game back up, and I couldn't put it down with the Brownies.

It's a fairly difficult game and some how I don't know how I did it but I got the Browns in the AFC Championship, and this is my first season.

Houston went 12-4 and lost 23-24 to Buffalo (11-5) in the divisional round, which I played and royally pissed me off. The Oilers won 9 in a row 9-1 and had the Number 1 seed locked up early and Buffalo's defense was absolute crap most of the year. Yeah they got turnovers, but in no way I should have lost that game. Warren Moon fumbled on the damn goal line on the opening drive (after a huge 45 yard completion to Givens), and Jim Kelly threw 2 INTs in the second half, one resulting in a field goal. I was trailing 21 to 17, and scored with 1:43 left, then some how Buffalo blocked the extra point to deny OT, and miraculous luck on Buffalo's side after me out gaining them on yards (350 vs 221) they managed to win the game on a 50 yard field goal. :shock:

Hopefully I can beat Buffalo with this scrubby Cleveland team that I managed to rank #3 in defense even though their offense is absolutely sluggish. I blew out Pittsburgh 3-24 in the wild card, and then San Diego the Number 2 seed (12-3-1) lost 11-21, even though a solid win, they missed 2 field goals and ultimately shot themselves in the foot.

Dallas is going to be hard as hell to beat in the Super Bowl. Ranked #2 in defense, shut out GB 35-0, and the 49ers were ranked #5 in defense, I pretty much know the Niners will get it handed to them.