Eric Dickerson may be.........

~Tailback King~

.........the best player in Tecmo history. Forget Bo Jackson. Dickerson's the ultimate combo of size, power and speed.....and if he ever had a team to go with those skillz, (anybody but the Colts) he'd be the diffinitive #1. (in Tecmo I).......p.s. It's a tragedy he wasn't in SuperTecmoBowl. Despite the controversy, he was the best back I ever saw...Tecmo or real life...hands down.

Edited by ~Tailback King~

He was only half in Tecmo Bowl. Depending on when you bought your cart, he was replaced by Albert Bently in TB because of the same contract reasons that kept him out of Tecmo Super Bowl.

.........the best player in Tecmo history. Forget Bo Jackson. Dickerson's the ultimate combo of size, power and speed.....and if he ever had a team to go with those skillz, (anybody but the Colts) he'd be the diffinitive #1. (in Tecmo I).......p.s. It's a tragedy he wasn't in SuperTecmoBowl.

I just won the season 5 championship over the weekend, with the Colts. Beat the Giants in OT in the conf championship game in what was likely the most mentally and emotionally exhausting game i have ever taken part in. We've gotten VERY good with the Colts over the years.

Dickerson is a beast, but theres more to the Colts than meets the eye.

The best dang playbook in the game helps overcome Trudeau's arm. Sit back in that pocket and let all the routes fully develop before throwing the pass. You CAN NOT just go out there gunning away with Trudeau. Gotta have patience. Bill Brooks on Pass 2 catches a ton of balls with that out route by the side line. 6-8 yards a pop. The defense exerts so much energy calling run plays to stop Dickerson that the pass plays are often open. You do have to be crafty though and mix in run calls to keep the defense honest.

The routes are so spread out that LT himself can't cover all 3 when they all get to final depth. Pass 2, when not called by the defense is a great play.

INDPass.gif

Colts kicking game is awesome. GREAT punter helps them win field position, and Biasucci can nail it from deep.

Bickett leads the defense, best bottom outside LB besides LT. A bunch of gritty workman like defenders on that team. Nobody great, but it forces you to show numerous looks and keep the offense on its heels. With the Colts D over the course of the game you will probbaly play 3 different defenses to keep the offense guessing. You will rock some straight up run call D and be John Hand, some bunk bed D with the DB's and let computer controlled Bickett kill the bottom run play, and also some cat and mouse while going to exclusive pass calls to stop the offense. Freaking LOVE using their D.

Bottom DB Fred Robinson actually has a 17 speed...not good intial or acceleration if I recall right, but great closing speed, and hes a powerful defender who sheds blocks quickly. The Colts defense can do some things!

Again, there's is some severe mastery to get to the level where you are dominant with the Colts, but they are basically my 2nd favorite team to use (behind the Bears) and I'll take em and make a game out of it against any other team in the game.

I just won the season 5 championship over the weekend, with the Colts. Beat the Giants in OT in the conf championship game in what was likely the most mentally and emotionally exhausting game i have ever taken part in. We've gotten VERY good with the Colts over the years.

Dickerson is a beast, but theres more to the Colts than meets the eye.

The best dang playbook in the game helps overcome Trudeau's arm. Sit back in that pocket and let all the routes fully develop before throwing the pass. You CAN NOT just go out there gunning away with Trudeau. Gotta have patience. Bill Brooks on Pass 2 catches a ton of balls with that out route by the side line. 6-8 yards a pop. The defense exerts so much energy calling run plays to stop Dickerson that the pass plays are often open. You do have to be crafty though and mix in run calls to keep the defense honest.

The routes are so spread out that LT himself can't cover all 3 when they all get to final depth. Pass 2, when not called by the defense is a great play.

INDPass.gif

Colts kicking game is awesome. GREAT punter helps them win field position, and Biasucci can nail it from deep.

Bickett leads the defense, best bottom outside LB besides LT. A bunch of gritty workman like defenders on that team. Nobody great, but it forces you to show numerous looks and keep the offense on its heels. With the Colts D over the course of the game you will probbaly play 3 different defenses to keep the offense guessing. You will rock some straight up run call D and be John Hand, some bunk bed D with the DB's and let computer controlled Bickett kill the bottom run play, and also some cat and mouse while going to exclusive pass calls to stop the offense. Freaking LOVE using their D.

Bottom DB Fred Robinson actually has a 17 speed...not good intial or acceleration if I recall right, but great closing speed, and hes a powerful defender who sheds blocks quickly. The Colts defense can do some things!

Again, there's is some severe mastery to get to the level where you are dominant with the Colts, but they are basically my 2nd favorite team to use (behind the Bears) and I'll take em and make a game out of it against any other team in the game.

You ever try letting Dickerson finish his route.......I'v won MANY games like this. He'll stand there for awhile, then he'll take off lika bat outta hell on a crossing pattern. I usually save this for the last play (if I didn't already use it in a game) Drop back like your gonna throw a Hail Mary (so run backwards like 15 yards) pretend like your goin' deep to Bouza, then quickly switch the cursor to Dickerson...He's rarley covered. Trudeau will throw a BULLET PASS and the ball will just hover about one foot from the ground for about 30 yards (quite a site to see) and you'll hit a striding Dickerson. And more than likley there will be know one around that can stop you from scoring......because he is a NIGHTMARE for anyone who has to stop him in the open field...especially on the last play when your opponents fingertips are sweatin'

Edited by ~Tailback King~

You ever try letting Dickerson finish his route.......I'v won MANY games like this. He'll stand there for awhile, then he'll take off lika bat outta hell on a crossing pattern. I usually save this for the last play (if I didn't already use it in a game) Drop back like your gonna throw a Hail Mary (so run backwards like 15 yards) pretend like your goin' deep to Bouza, then quickly switch the cursor to Dickerson...He's rarley covered. Trudeau will throw a BULLET PASS and the ball will just hover about one foot from the ground for about 30 yards (quite a site to see) and you'll hit a striding Dickerson. And more than likley there will be know one around that can stop you from scoring......because he is a NIGHTMARE for anyone who has to stop him in the open field...especially on the last play when your opponents fingertips are sweatin'

For whatever reason, Dickerson's special attribute is much higher than Bill Brooks, Pat Beach, and Matt Bouza so the passes get to him much faster than those other guys. It's the one player that Jack is in a hurry to get the ball too.

That strategy you detailed there kinda has me intrigued, because the human defender after awhile probably has no clue where he's at on the field if you drop back far enough. So if you decide to go short to Dickerson, the human controlled defender might be 10 yards behind the line or scrimmage for all we know if he's trying to cover Dickerson and pick that pass off.

How i beat the Giants was on that pass 1. I had played it safe all game and checked down to Pat Beach often in pass 1, And just a few to Dickerson after he had stopped across the middle and I knew it was super safe. Just could not risk throwing a INT on that play if my buddy used LT and lay in wait just off screen for the pass to Dickerson. Only threw it when the coast was REAL clear. So when we got to OT, and I got to about the Giants 40, and sensed my opponent was starting to get nervous, I cycled through to Dickerson a couple time to draw him in, and once he came on screen, I fired a lollipop to Bouza for the game winning TD. Bouza caught it at the 7, and scored by a good 4-5 yards ahead of the defender.

Another Dickerson ploy I often use, and this works well from the bottom hash mark, leaving the majority of the field open to the top. Pass 1 and throw it too Dickerson before he has a chance to leave the backfield. He catches it in stride and can rack up 4-5 yards on that play even if your opponent chooses LT. Sometimes the opponent can get conditioned to trying to attack that route instantly, that it leaves Pat Beach wide open all alone at the bottom. Beach is super slow, but hes wide open down there and picks up about 4-5 yards on that play if the defender over compensates for the quick toss to Dickerson.

Honestly, I think talking about the Colts is the most fun I have breaking down any team. So many wrinkles with their offense to explore.

/>http://tecmobowl.org/forum/topic/9031-old-article-on-dickersons-beef-with-tecmo-and-kenner/page__hl__dickerson

Why Dickerson isn't in TSB.

Ah...and he sued is way out of Tecmo Bowl

That's quite interesting he was in the game, cause I didn't know he was.

Speaking of suing, I used to wonder why LB Chiefs, DE Bills, RB Bills, was there for a reason, but since playing TSB II, and seeing the same ones nameless, I figured they probably sued or requested their name not to be used.

Didn't Jim Brown sue Madden over using him in one of their all time rosters on one of their older games?

Me and my buddy have 3 games set up 4 tomorrow.....We are gonna play the SNES l version. I'm gonna go with Atlanta. I'm playin' a season and Dickerson's in EXCELLENT condition.....some people on this board complained that the Falcons' Eric isn't very good......I disagree. I don't know if his stats jump higher than most from condition to condition, but his ability's right now on excellent are STACKED!!! I think the problem is more that some people don't know how to use him...In my past experience, I'v found that he likes a lot of carries. It's usually 5 yards, 3 yards, 5yards, first down.....repeat that for about 3 more 1st downs (if you can without passing) then you'll be suprized...he'll usually start running a lil' better & faster..........It's very important to be patient with this guy. Don't expect the BIG runs right away...but they will come. I got 1,800 yards rushing on the SNES I version with him once, and that's not eazy to do with anybody.

• 2 weeks later...

Dickerson's "controversies" wouldn't even be blinked at in the NFL these days.

He was one of the first divas (his skills backed it up, though).

Nowadays, 1/2 of the NFL thinks they is diva.

Dickerson's "controversies" wouldn't even be blinked at in the NFL these days.

He was one of the first divas (his skills backed it up, though).

Nowadays, 1/2 of the NFL thinks they is diva.

Yeah......but NONE of um' can touch Dickerson's skill.....His #'s speak 4 themselves.

Was there ever an early GAMEBOY version of the first TECMOBOWL with DICKERSON in it??? I seem to remember my friend had it in summer camp, but that was a long time ago.................that would be a rare find!!!

Gameboy came out 2-3 years after the NES version. No way that Dickerson is on that thing

• 4 weeks later...

Was there ever an early GAMEBOY version of the first TECMOBOWL with DICKERSON in it??? I seem to remember my friend had it in summer camp, but that was a long time ago.................that would be a rare find!!!

Game Boy version came out in October, 1991 - two months before Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES. It's a direct port of the NES game with Bentley on the Colts.