With only the Super Bowl still to play, the Tecmo Legacy League is on the brink of completing its first full season. Led by an explosive offense starring quarterback Bert Jones and halfback Lydell Mitchell, the 1976 Baltimore Colts are set to take on Hall-of-Fame linebacker Chris Hanburger and surprise passing leader Billy Kilmer and the 1976 Washington Redskins. Check out the full preview video here (video courtesy of slimstud7):

The TLL began on the 14th of January, 2012 with the inagural TLL draft. We called it a "Legacy League" because of its unique format: all 28 teams are MAN-controlled, divided amongst (ideally) five or six coaches. Teams are drafted, not players: for the initial season, set in 1976 (chosen because it was the year the Bucs and Seahawks entered the "Fake NFL," as we like to call it), we had five coaches. Three of us had six teams; the other two had five, chosen in a team draft:

Coach: cheapcatch

New York Jets

Cleveland Browns

Denver Broncos

Washington Redskins

Chicago Bears

Atlanta Falcons

Coach: coachlandryshat

New England Patriots

San Diego Chargers

New York Giants

Minnesota Vikings

Los Angeles Rams

Coach: deadfaulkner

Miami Dolphins

Pittsburgh Steelers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Philadelphia Eagles

Detroit Lions

San Francisco 49ers

Coach: seriousatari

Baltimore Colts

Cincinnati Bengals

Kansas City Chiefs

Dallas Cowboys

Green Bay Packers

Seattle Seahawks

Coach: slimstud

Buffalo Bills

Houston Oilers

Oakland Raiders

St. Louis Cardinals

New Orleans Saints

We played every game of the 1976 season (as realistically as possible, adjusted to a 16-game format). The big boys you'd expect did well: Fake-NFL champions Oakland made the playoffs, as did Pittsburgh, Denver, Minnesota, and the Rams. But there were surprises as well. The New Orleans Saints went 9-7 to find themselves in the playoffs. Billy Kilmer of the Washington Redskins led the league in passing. The Chicago Bears, who in the fake-NFL wouldn't learn how to ride W.P. to a playoff spot for another seven years, took home-field-advantage in the NFC. Don Goode, who was previously notorious for allowing the ball to slip through his arms on the infamous Holy Roller play, led the league in tackles. I could go on, but better would be to check it out for yourself:

https://www.sites.google.com/site/tecmolegacyleague/

We threw this site together slap-dash to make it through the first season. We had a tremendous amount of fun, and I hope you'll find that reflected in the content you find there. Still, all the while one of our members (again, thanks slimstud) was working on a new TLL site, complete with sortable stats and automatic ROM uploads. We're ready to move into the new site for season 2, 1977:

http://www.scottzolak.com/tll/

We have every hope that we'll be able to broadcast the Super Bowl live, and I encourage anyone who's interested to tune in. Email me ([email protected]) or find me on AIM ([email protected]) for the specifics.

We are looking for one or two new members right now, so I encourage you to write me at either of the two above addresses for more info.

The video was awesome and very well done.

Are you guys playing online or do you get together to play?

Thanks, man, on behalf of slimstud who was the one who made the video. I thought his work with the video was pretty awesome too.

We play online - the concept was based on an in-person league we had years ago. The league consists of three of us from that original league, as well as two guys we met online.

And again, we're open to taking on another coach or two, so if you're interested, get ahold of me at the contacts in the original thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The second season aka TLL77 is off to a fast start and seems even more competitive than last season, with coaches getting used to one another's playing style and such. The newest member Chaos Rison has been bringing the thunder this season, winning 9 straight at one point before finally losing his last 2 games.

Meanwhile, the Bucs (0-4) face the (0-4) Packers in Wk 5....

Can Gary Huff "The Magic Dragon" carry Tampa to its first victory?

• 1 month later...

It's going really well, we are starting to get to the point where all the games are really starting to matter. Big game this week puts the underachieving and often injured Colts against the Rams.

Had a really insane moment earlier this season where the Colts QB Bert Jones got injured along with the starting RB Mitchell. Played against the undefeated Broncos and pulled off an unreal 31-28 win in OT. Set a single game record for passing yards with Bill Troup: http://www.scottzolak.com/tll/gamestats.php?game=183

And right now the AFC central has no one under .500 so its gonna get intense

Great group of guys and we will always welcome more

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Colts crushed the Rams 24-3. Indeed, the hunt for the playoffs is on. Both the AFC and NFC playoff race is bottlenecked.

I was the one who endured the Bill Troup lambasting. It was maddening and embarrassing, but I did have some fun with it. Here is my story on it for those interested: http://www.scottzola...ews.php?view=39

What's worse: The week before I defeated the same Colts with the Saints, a team with a terrible defense that has only won one game all season....against the Colts....

Meanwhile, Denver has lost once all season....to Bill Troup

Bill Troup Player of the Week: http://www.scottzolak.com/tll/shownews.php?view=53

That's why they play the games....

Edited by CheapCatch