Every game every week season mode

DeBerg

I've started a new season with a challenge to play every game, of the entire week and see how many close games I can win and fare.

So far, so good, I've had an awesome season, though I'm spoiling it a bit for surprise teams that always make the playoffs

Crazy things that happen

Chargers at Steelers

This game was so fucking insane. I couldn't stop Natrone Means to save my life. He ran all over me the entire game, not a single punt. O'Donnell classic 3 INT game, Woodson 2 kick returns, I came back from 28 points down, but ended up losing. Final score was 48-52, my worst game ever as a defense.

Cleveland, Cinncinatti, Indianapolis, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Kansas City all lost their starting quarterback from Week's 1-5, and I'm still missing Jeff Blake, Jim Everett, Steve Young, and Steve Bono.

Playing against the Jets, I've had so many games where they nearly beat me, and I have to come back, and Yarbough is leading the league in reception yards. I just absolutely cannot stop him. When I play with the Jets, he don't catch for shit, but playing against the Jets, you'd think he was Jerry Rice, he catches EVERY pass, covered or not!

Dolphins at Jets

Somehow, they managed to keep Marino locked up the entire first half. Jets started good, a safety, and a field goal, and a touchdown, 12-0, I kicked 2 field goals, they scored a TD, to go up 19-6, but in the 3rd quarter Marino lit up their defense throwing to Clark, and I cut the lead down to 5 with a TD and a 2 point conversion so now it's 14-19. Got one stop in the 4th quarter, and scored again for the lead, but went for 2 again, and now I got it a 3 point game, 19-22. Then the Jets kicked a field goal, final drive of the game, and I milked the clock down, reach the 35 and kick a field goal. 22 seconds left and the Jets returned the kick off to the 50. Think Boomer can throw the bomb and win it? Thank god, I sacked him.

25-22

Jaguars at Jets

This game was constant back and forth. It went 3-3 to 10-10 to 17-17 in the first half. In the 3rd quarter, Buerlien throws a pick, Jets get a field goal off that. Then Stewart fumbles, they return that to go up 27-17. I am panicking now as I'm down 10 in the 4th quarter, so I score a TD quick to Givins, go for 2 and get it, so it's 25-27, Jets go all the way down the field and score again to go up 34-25. I get the ball back with just 2:40 to go, and try to score quick, get lucky with Desmond Howard actually catching the ball, so now it's 32-34. I have to go for the on side kick, and get it, then with just seconds to go, Buerlein hits McNabb to win the game. 39-34.

Jets at Panthers

I got off to a huge start in this game only to screw around. 13-0, with 2 field goals and a Barry Foster TD. Jets scored to end the first half 13-7, then in the 3rd quarter it was punt, punt, punt, neither of us can do anything, only for me to fumble a punt return and they return it for the lead 14-13. Next possession, all out blitz, i throw a pick, that's returned for a touchdown. Now it's 21-13, going into the 4th quarter. I put together a huge drive, and score, now for the 2 point conversion, Don Beebe drops the goddamn ball 8O . I got for the onside kick cause I know I probably won't stop them, and I GET IT! Next 4 plays, Riech to Carrier, Touchdown Panthers...25-21. Jets had a chance to win the game, after I sacked Boomer 3 times with Sam Mills, some how and some way, Yarbough catches a 65 yard bomb to the 5 yard line and I am lucky time expires. 21-25.

Raiders at Jets

So far, I am 8-0 with Oakland and probably going to finish the season playing with them every week cause I find the team to be mighty interesting, but this game was crazy. Hostelter played like absolute crap in the first half, one pick, and I completed maybe 3 passes total. Before the game, I lost Williams and Kaufman was useless in most of this game. Jets got off 14-0 thanks to a bomb to Yarbough and one of my picks putting them at the redzone, but to end half time, I fumble a kick return, and they kick a field goal off that, so it's 17-0 at half time. In the 3rd quarter I get a lucky pass to Tim Brown for 45 yards, then the FB Fenner explodes. 1 rush for 40 yards, and a TD. 7-17. Next Jets possession, Boomer picked off, that leads to a 3 and out. The thing with this game was, I didn't let the Jets run it at all. So they were airing it out all day, or getting sacked by Swilling. So it's 7-17, final play in the 3rd quarter, Hosteler to Ismail, breaks one tackle and that's 75 yards to the redzone. First play in the 4th quarter, is a touchdown haul it from Fenner, now it's 14-17. Next Jets drive, is a 3 and out, Boomer keeps getting sacked. I moved Fenner to the main RB position and ran it with him, on the final drive I had another 40 yard rush, couple broken tackles and to win the game with 2:20 left, the pass to Tim Brown was caught. Just for giggles, I did an onside kick and recovered it 8O8)8O With that I ran the clock out. 21-17

I don't get it with the Jets...on onside kicks, I am 5-0 against them, they just never see it coming, but they sure do come back and make a game tough.

I'm starting to love Cleveland as a challenging team. I lost Testeverde in week 1, and have to use Brad Goebell. Such an awesome name that tells me he's going to suck. Then Andre Rison gets injured in week 2 against Tampa Bay, then the RB, White goes down. Christ, I can't keep an offense for shit in this game with them. Then against Buffalo, Michael Jackson got injured 8). I've had some close games with the injury riddled Cleveland offense. Brad Goebel drives the offense good enough to kick long field goals, and the defense is up and down. I had a huge comeback win against Tampa Bay, trailing 3-13, I came back to win 17-13, and against Houston, a real ugly defensive show down I won off intercepting Chris Chandler 3 times. So far, 7 weeks, 4-3, no Testevarde, no Rison, no Jackson, no White, and I am pulling through.

New England at Atlanta, I won 14-9, real close game cause I lost both Meggett and Butts, and any other play Bledsoe is getting slammed down, but the real reason I won was Jeff George throwing 5 interceptions, and that was where both my touchdowns came from. I thought he sucked in the other Tecmo games with the Colts, but wow....5 INT's, that was insane. 3 of them were in the first quarter, 2 to Vincent Brown. Final drive, he threw the 5th pick to seal the game. That's the most interceptions I've ever had in TSB 3 and a record for Jeff George all together. 0 TDs and 5 INT's, now that's Jeff George style 8O

The Raiders are my team so far I've played every single game with and I've had so many close games. Hosteler loves throwing picks when they are up by 14 or more, I had a big scare against Seattle, went into OT and won. Same with KC, go up 24-10, a pick 6 and then Marcus Allen having a career game tied it for OT, but Bono got picked off, that lead to the game winning FG.

Is it just me or does Randall Cunnigham suck in this game? I play the Cardinals 3 interceptions....Against the Giants 2 picks, against the Saints, a fumble and a pick. Against Washington 3 picks. I'm about to just bench him and use Rodney Peete.

The Saints, are a weird team too. Defense does absolutely nothing against the run, but that offense, wow. You lose Jim Everett, you are basically screwed cause Rosenbach sucks really bad, and that defense isn't going to save you like the Dom Patrol did in TSB 1.

• 2 months later...

Hahaha I wish! I was actually doing this on a ROM. This is the only Tecmo I don't have on console.

All kinds of things came up and kept me busy but I am back to work this week.

Raiders finally lost their first game, to the Bengals. I had to pick on them since Blake is back, one week later an epic 7-3 win against the Oilers with a long 4th quarter drive for my only score in the game.

49ers without Young managed to beat down Dallas, 35-17, Emmitt Smith was the only play maker as Aikman's picks helped tremendously.

I'm gonna have to do this kind of season on the TSB II after I finish this one.

Funny...you are finding the same thing we've notice through years and years of playing:

Yarbarough is a beast for the Jets.....so clutch. Plays waaay over his head.

Yes, both Jeff George and Randall Cunningham play much worse than their attributes would suggest.

As for the Saints...I love love love me some Michael Haynes. My fav receiver besides Jerry Rice. And Quinn Early catches everything too.

I think the reason that Yarborough is a beast is less Yarborough and more their playbook. So many post routes and on many of them your defenders just don't cover him. What receivers couldn't rock with that combo?

What kills me with Jeff George are his runs. He gets that stat bonus or whatever and just hightails it for big gainers. Even on plays where it's not a designed QB run. I also don't get awarded as many picks with George and Cunningham, but I am thankful every time George throws because that's one less time I have to try to tackle Ironhead.

Yes, Saints have awesome receivers. Early catches everything is right! When you play a defense only challenge, the Saints are as tough as the Dolphins, if not tougher. The Saints playbook can be hard to defend and they made Mario Bates a lot better than he deserved.

So far I've went 9-0 with GB, and escaped some very close matches.

Against Dallas, started 17-0, and a Favre pick and 2 Dorsey fumbles (I lost Bennett in week 1 and it took him forever to come back), Dallas managed to erase the deflect and lead 21-20 after slowly coming back and haulting to me 3 points in the 3rd quarter.

To battle the comeback, I have Favre lead them down the field, score a TD, go for 2 points and get it so 28-21, and then Dallas goes all the way down the field with 1 Irvin catch and 2 Smith runs and ties the game. I became extremely lucky that they spent all their time milking the clock before finally gaining a lead, that I was about to go into OT, but Favre to Brooks said no to that. Won off a 47 yard field goal with 11 seconds to go, 31-28 GB.

Both games against Minnesota were very close, and then had a domino effect of one turnover leading to another and all hell just breaking open on them. Very tight game against the Vikings, back and forth punts and scores, 17-17 in the 4th quarter, Moon throws a pick, that turned into 3 points...still close. Vikings ball again, Reed fumbles, game over? Dorsey Levens goes 45 yards into the end zone, game over.

Then again against Minnesota, this was when I thought I really was going to finally lose. On the road, neither team can do it in the air, I threw a pick, and managed to stop Moon. Then they stopped me, but at the end of the second quarter, I put together a nice drive, got down to the redzone and a pass intended for Ingram got picked off and goes 90 something yards for a TD. Then miraculously, I returned the kick off of the 3rd quarter to the 50 yard line, this time Chmura catches it, and then Bennett and Levens drive to the goal line, TD. After that the Vikings didn't do anything....Moon threw 2 picks, they fumbled 3 times and it went from a close game to a 30 point blow out in the 3rd quarter. They never scored again and I won 47-7.

When I played the Bears early in the season, Favre had an ugly game with 3 interceptions, I got pass rushed and thought I could just throw all over the place, as I didn't want to take a sack and get him injured. My last game with GB to go 9-0; Chicago had every opportunity to win the game. It was back and forth, neither defense can stop each other 21-21 at half time, I absolutely did not stop the run, it felt impossible. Then Walsh throws a pick 6, 28-21, they get it back he throws another pick, 31-21, they score off a 70 yard run, then I go down the field in just 3 run plays with Bennett and that's the game. I ended up giving up over 200 rushing yards yet just 130 passing yards, yet in the first half Walsh was on fire, then in the second half he just cooled down and threw picks and completely 2 passes.

I also had the Dolphins starting 8-0 and won 4 of those games very close. Against the Patriots, started 17-0, went up to 17-17, as they bounced back from 2 picks and a fumble, I barely won off a late field goal. Hell against the Jets, they gave me a really hard time. The Saints without Bates, Everett and Haynes they gained 370 yards (out gained me tremendously) and then I barely got through them. Pittsburgh I was up 16-3 as Niel O'Donnell basically gave me that game with 3 interceptions but they scored in the end so it looked closer than it truly was 16-10. The one time I played against the Dolphins was with Buffalo, and I went into OT, 24-24. Kelly had a big game, Thurman Thomas could not be stopped in the 4th quarter. I overcame some early mistakes, tied it for OT, won the toss, and on the kick off fumbled it, they won.

Yeah Jeff George is a pain in the ass when I play with Atlanta. He finally got hurt against the Lions, and even though Hebert isn't the best, I trust his passes before I do George's. His runs are hard to stop on defense but when I play with Atlanta I normally just throw it out to Ironhead and run it all day, pray I get lucky behind that defense and get some turnovers that turn into points.

Michael Haynes, Early, and Small, great WRs. I love the Saints offense even though Bates is remembered as a bust, but once Jim Everett gets hurt, you're pretty much screwed. Rosenbach flat out sucks. It's funny when I play against him, he either slings back to back interceptions early, or he throws for 200 yards thanks to good help on the receivers. Either way I cannot stand him. I lost Everett against the Giants after going up 21-0 in the first quarter, I ended up winning that game, but I didn't score another point when Rosenbach came in to throw 3 picks and fumble twice. Luckily the Giants sucked bad enough for me to shut them down most the day.

Edited by TecmoNightmare

• 3 weeks later...

Packers finally lost, and of all teams to do it, it was Tampa Bay.

I still am in total shock over that game. It was very defensive. Rhett was basically the Buc's only weapon on offense all day. They had a huge 70 yard kick return from Verdin that lead to a field goal, Packers kicked a field goal, then a horrible punt put them deep in GB territory, 10-3 Tampa before I knew it. I did kick another FG to make it 6-10 at halftime.

In the 3rd quarter it was all defense, but in the end I managed to sack Dilfer a few times, and they punted from their own 2 yard line, this gave me the ball at my own 48. This lead to a long drive with Favre finally connecting to Ingram in the endzone, yet the drive was constantly halted by key third down plays.

13-10, and I beat the Buc's mostly through the 4th quarter, but a few lucky plays from Rhett (zero deep ball, totally shut down both WR's), they get to the Packers 45 and with 1:01 left, some how some way, Murray makes a 50 yard field goal and it's tied 13-13.

Favre gets sacked over and over, 3 in a row, we go into OT. Buc's win the toss, I stopped them. Then when I get the ball, can't run it at all, and Favre is constantly chased by Eric Curry leading to 2 more sacks. 3rd and 20, I just sling it to Brooks, and it's intercepted and returned for a TD.

That game was just brutal, no other word to describe it. They held me to 78 passing yards and only 42 rushing. On the other hand I held Dilfer to only 56 passing yards and they rushed for 74.

My rushing yards mostly counted in the 1st quarter where Bennett had a huge run for 50 yards up the middle...I never had another positive run after that.

Right now GB 11-1, and Tampa is 8-4. That defense is just damn brutal. I played them 6 times this year and currently am 3-3. The times they beat me were embarrassing with Warren Moon throwing 2 pick 6's (couldn't run the ball), I also played them with Jacksonville the week before in an epic choke fest where I post 21-17, drove all the way down to the 30 yard line with 10 seconds to go, only for Buerlin to throw his 3rd interception of the day. The times I beat them, I also turned it over though.

I do have to play Tampa again on the road, and after tonight, I don't know if I want to face that defense in the playoffs, they absolutely crushed me, held me to my worst stats as an offense. Robert Brooks was completely shut down in that entire game, double covered, and when I did throw to him as he was single covered, no catch. Mark Ingram only had like 30 yards total as a receiver and those passes were extremely lucky. Outside of that I don't think I completed anything that went more than 10 yards. 38% completion, my worst ever.