2012 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament 7/28/2012

vogtcd11

My thoughts/observations following OhioV:

1. Thanks to Chris Vogt and crew (Ahake, AJFullam) for putting on a great tournament. As I told Chris following the tourney, the new venue was simply perfect. Keep up the good work fellas;
  2. Watching David Fulcher beat up on some guy in a Bengals-Oilers matchup was amazing. He led 21-0 at the half and, predictably, man-controlled himself to shut down the high-powered Oiler offensive attack;
  3. Sobhi, thanks for the kind words. It probably goes without saying, but that means a lot coming from you, one of Tecmo’s all-time greats. Bruddog and I will play someday, even if I have to camp out in his San Diego backyard with a tent, console, and CRT tv;
  4. Matt M having two XP’s blocked (DT in radioactive condition) has to be one of the toughest tourney exits I can remember seeing. He handled it exceptionally well;
  5. Great tourney from Louis B—beat Lefty, Daboy, and Matt M in consecutive games to reach the Final. Louis’ game has drastically improved since our first encounter a few years ago, largely incidental to Mort’s tutelage. Mort, by the way, made another Final Four. Mort is consistently one of the top competitors at any tournament;
  6. Retirement is something I need to consider. Securing the Ohio three-peat and sweeping the Madison & Ohio tourneys in the same calendar year is something I’ll probably never duplicate. The competition is just too good at this point.

Chet is correct. David Fulcher knows Tecmo! Click the link below to see the video evidence:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhjYLPiUhZU

For those of you who were there, I was the guy wearing a throwback kelly green Randall Cunningham jersey.

I had a great time at The 2012 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament! I was blessed with the opportunity to see a lot of guys I met there last year and some that I met in Madison earlier this year. I also met a lot of new guys who were really cool. I thoroughly enjoyed group play, making it to the Sweet 16, and meeting David Fulcher.

This was my second Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl tournament and The Vogts put together another great event. Outstanding venue, great competition, and the opportunity to meet David Fulcher. What more could you ask for?

The real highlight of these tournaments (at least for me) is not how far you advance, it is being together with a group of guys who are still passionate about a football game that is nearly 21 years old. In my experience, most of the really good players are more than willing to help explain some of the nuances and strategies of the game to less experienced players. I had guys help me out at the Midwest tournament last year and Madison earlier this year. Based on their suggestions, watching them play, and some practice I was able to improve.

And for the record to all of you who are wondering - Chet is THAT good. He was in my pool play group. I won the coin toss when we played and picked a Colts-Patriots matchup hoping to throw him off a bit. He led 7-3 at the half and literally didn't make a mistake the entire game. Even with Marc Wilson throwing half of his passes into the ground when receivers were open, he still controlled the entire tempo of the game and ended up winning 28-3.

I hope some of you who attended are able to make it to one of the upcoming Boneyard Bowls in October and January:

http://tecmobowl.org...-oct-20th-12pm/

While these tournaments are a smaller scale (28 guys max), use a different format (see link above), and the proceeds go to benefit The Salvation Army, we have always had an awesome time with a great group of guys!

Take care and God bless,

Ryan McKay (UltimateWeapon)

Best Cincy tourney yet. Chris Vogt and company ran an awesome tourney. David Fulcher was impressive. The way he plays we should have given him an honorary position in the elimination round. But he retired with a perfect record after displaying his awesome tecmo skills.

I'll keep this short. Its taken me 7 games against Chet to fill like I've figured out how to have a chance against him. I've kept all our games close but only in score. In actual game play I felt like I was miles behind him. Yesterday I only felt maybe half a mile behind him. He's the best player I've seen in 11 years. No offense to Bruddog but I've seen a lot of good players online and live and can't think of one with that level of domination for such a long period of time. Also I hope that we never play again unless its the final game. We play each other too much. For example this is game 7 and I've still only played Josh once.

Another comment I read on here about the last madison tourney (or some previous tourney) was how a new player stood no chance of winning and should be discourged at the prospect of attending these tourneys. In just two years I've seen one of the worst players become one of the best players. I have problems beating him and it shows anyone can win at this if they put a little effort into it. My brother Louis is an example anyone can rise to any level at any time. Gj bro.

As much as I don't like how the Madison rb at wr rule becoming the standard of these tourneys it does lead to new interesting matchups. Helps further dispell something I've felt for a while in practice. That being sf can be used in a matchup that is not a track race. Yet instead is more of a defensive score as 17-10 suggests. Many of my practice games leading up to this, Most of them sf vs buffalo against lou and rarely did a team get above 28 points.

Meeting TDO for the first time was long overdue. Gary still keeps the league I started on going strong along with tecmoworld. Though I hardly look around at online tecmo.

Tourney's are good but I had more fun playing afterhours in the hotel room with Troy and the rest of the MIL crew. A few beers and a lot of games. I could care less that I did not win or even do well by my standards. The novelty of the tourney starts to wear down after so many. Most of the time for me is spent waiting for games in the late rounds. These games are the ones that are fun for me. To choose a challenging opponent and be locked in an intense struggle is my true reward. As much fun as I do have hanging out I need an intense amount of focus during a game to play. Many people who have played me will notice that I hardly talk while playing and in the late rounds I spend most of my time alone in thought. Not to mention multiple trips to the bathroom. I also won't drink till after the tourney. Unlike many players who get better once the beer lossens them up.

My point is that Troy has the ideal of a lot of us getting a block of rooms after or the day before a tourney and just going at it. Yet at the same time relaxing with a few beers. Which to me would be more fun than the tourney which is more like work on a quest of personal improvement. I just figured I'd post it so I did not forget. Get some things off my chest. One last thing.

Like I've always say go to the next tourney you can if you have not been to one, if you went to one a while ago or if you go all the time. Go hang out with some buddys and play all night and get drunk. Have some fun but keep in mind that this oppurtunity will not be around forever so get going and I'll see you at Madison.

I registered on he Madison site. Will do my best to make it this year. I'm sure i will be at a disadvantage due to tapping skill and the fact that i only play on an emulator these days.

But just to be clear you don't win that many tourneys without being one of the best if not the best but even still i would say there a handful of elite level players that can win. The difference is tiny.

"Easily the best" implies there is no one close maybe its true but it just seems very unlikely.

Awesome video with Fulcher!