Wild plays

Eric

Anyone had a wild play recently? Here's mine...

I'm getting the shit kicked out of me by the Niners in a defense only challenge season. I ferret out that reverse play to Rice and meet him in the backfield. He's coming straight downfield and I'm going straight up. I dive head-on into him to ensure he can't spin right through me and he leaps completely over me. The catch is... now he's frozen in place. A defender comes up and I know I've got him dead to rights. But my guy just grapples him and gets thrown. Now Rice is off again and reels off a 39-yd gainer. Fucking Niners 8)

Something odd happened near the end of my playoff game with the Niners - my A and B buttons became disabled somehow. Fortunately the control pad still worked! I'm not even sure what started it. Must have been some kind of awkward play. It started late in the 4th I think, and still wasn't corrected in overtime. It was back to normal for the next game, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oops, sorry for late reply. No, they annihilated me.

Some recent craziness...

Dennis Smith intercepted a pass for me, but immediately moonwalked backward and acted exhausted (while he had the ball!).

I'm in the middle of earning back the all-time greats by playing seasons with the Seahawks. For some reason I'm giving up some of my biggest run plays when I've picked their play! Spin, spin, spin... FUCK!

Aaron Craver got the ball against me down at the goal line and busted through a few tackles. He dived a bit too early and landed on the half-yard line. But I couldn't get to him! He stood back up after a couple seconds and immediately dove into the end zone. GODDAMMIT!

Equally infuriating are those plays where you do something great (cause fumble, block FG, etc), only to see their offensive lineman pick up the ball and go all Ironhead on your ass all the way down the field.

Does rain affect fumbling? Rod Woodson fumbled FOUR times in a rainy game as the KR/PR.

You need to change your Woodson strategy. You'll find that you fumble less when he returns every ball for a TD

Does rain affect fumbling? Rod Woodson fumbled FOUR times in a rainy game as the KR/PR.

You need to change your Woodson strategy. You'll find that you fumble less when he returns every ball for a TD

Right now, I had to reset my season and Woodson already has 4 TD's returned from Kick off's, and I'm only in week 3. Absolute beast!!

For some reason my Seahawks, even w/ Deion, struggled all year in getting INTs. That changed in the Super Bowl. Deion had three INT TD's IN THE THIRD QUARTER against Dallas. GET SOME, TROY! So satisfying! On two of them Deion was sprinting so fast through the receiver to make the pick that he had separation when he was awarded the INT. No grapple. Love those kind.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I must have forgotten this, or maybe it doesn't happen every time, but I was beating SF by 18-10 with the clock running down. They score a TD on a ridiculous run and with no time remaining opt to go for 2. It gets stuck in a never-ending loop where they select 2-pt conversion, but when they get to the screen to pick their play, they try to opt for a field goal. I smashed some buttons eventually and then the game froze.

So I reset and start over. This time I annihilate them 66-0. The highlight of the game happened in the 2nd quarter. I picked up a fumble too quickly, but since the next play was a 4th down, it was kinda a wasted shot at the ol' glitched automatic INT. Not so fast... they call a fake punt and throw it. I get my automatic INT and Kyle Clifton gets a 42-yard INT return :P

Okay, I must have forgotten this, or maybe it doesn't happen every time, but I was beating SF by 18-10 with the clock running down. They score a TD on a ridiculous run and with no time remaining opt to go for 2. It gets stuck in a never-ending loop where they select 2-pt conversion, but when they get to the screen to pick their play, they try to opt for a field goal. I smashed some buttons eventually and then the game froze.

That has happened to me before. I was playing the Packers with the Cowboys. And after leading 21 to 0, my dumbass lets them come back into the game. It was 33-25, and on the final play, Favre threw a bomb to Dorsey Levens who broke a tackle and made it in the endzone. Then it got stuck in a never ending loop on the 2 point conversion try with 0 time left on the clock.

• 3 months later...

A couple of interesting leaping INTs recently.

The first was by Bubba McDowell. He's great, but he's probably the least talented guy I've seen get a leaping INT.

The second was by, who else, Primetime. But this was unlike any other leaping INT I've seen. Usually they are all downfield. This was against Mirer and the Seahawks on that play where Mirer rolls out to the bottom of the screen. As is not uncommon, Mirer threw it all the way back across the field toward Blades. Deion was in the middle of the field, actually closer to Mirer than he was to Blades, and snagged it.

Speaking of wild, Dick Butkus is unbelievable in this game. If you've never used him before, go ahead and treat yourself.

• 5 months later...

Had an interesting leaping INT today. Matt Darby vs. Chris "INT Machine" Chandler. Darby was near the upper sideline, and leapt when Chandler threw an out route wayyyy wide. It gave Darby the leaping INT but he was drifting out while airborne and landed well out of bounds. INT was granted, Darby was ruled out of bounds - play over.

• 4 weeks later...

Had an interesting leaping INT today. Matt Darby vs. Chris "INT Machine" Chandler. Darby was near the upper sideline, and leapt when Chandler threw an out route wayyyy wide. It gave Darby the leaping INT but he was drifting out while airborne and landed well out of bounds. INT was granted, Darby was ruled out of bounds - play over.

I haven't had any big INT games against Chandler, except mine with the Chiefs were he threw 3. My INT Machine is none other than Jeff George. 5 INT against the Patriots, 4 INT against the Cardinals, I even got 3 INTs on him with the Saints.

Jeff George can be an INT machine. His PS doesn't promote jumping/diving catches as much on deep balls or short routes and his 50/50 PC/PA, especially if he falls to bad can be brutal. The Cardinals also have a phenomenal defense with very skilled players at every tier. Williams is a top tier CB, Seth Joyner is one of the best LBs in the game and has the best INTs in the game at LB.

The Pats are generally the same. They have a great D as well, though Mo Hurst is not Williams. NE is funny though cause they've got the fake Reggie White!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Not exactly a wild play...

It had been quite awhile since I'd used the Saints. In playing a season with every NFL team in my DEF-Only Challenge project, I finished 10-6. No doubt struggling with their lack of a good LB and probably getting my ass kicked by SF and the Rams twice. Actually, yeah, that was the season that out of nowhere Alexander Wright humiliated me for 8 receptions and 280 yds. It was surreal.

Anyway, that season I disappointingly didn't get much action out of Eric Allen. 12 INTs for 150 yds and just 2 INT tds. Despite this he somehow won NFL MVP.

So I just started another DEF-Only Challenge season with the Saints and I'm off to a great start. I beat SF in the opening game. Much easier to play those killer teams when their entire roster starts out at average condition. Then I destroyed the Falcons 33-0 thanks to Eric Allen.

Some of you have talked about Jeff George being easy to intercept, but I haven't really ever experienced that. Until today. Eric Allen went off for 5 INTs for 118 yds and 3 TDs. It could have been more. On the second pick he was immediately grappled. After what seemed like 15 seconds of button mashing, he finally broke free... only to be immediately grappled again and brought down. Cool game, bros :cool:

Already I'm fantasizing of an undefeated season, but with Rufus Porter as my LB it will never happen.

So I'm playing a Defense Only season with the Dolphins and am playing the Bills a second time. The first time they had me 21-2 at half, but after two costly special teams fumbles in the second half I won out in the end.

The second game is a snow game. They can't do much against me, but my special teams coverage is terrible. Jeff Burris breaks off punt returns of 28, 36, and 62 yards! I'm ahead early in the 4th, but they're driving and at about my 30. They call the draw off center and Bryan Cox is there to stuff it with a diving tackle. But... no sounds are made as if nothing happened. Thurman is down on the ground, so I start running Bryan Cox around in case he had the ball and it was the fumble glitch. The next thing I know a Bills player is juking his way through the middle of the field, including a spin move, and takes it in for a touchdown. I figure it must be Thurman, but right before he crossed the goal line I notice it's a white guy. WTH?

Turns out it's Jim Kelly :roll: There was no fumble, so some glitch must have occurred like the computer didn't recognize Thurman as the ball carrier.

Anyway, once again the Bills blow it with fumblitis and I return two of them for touchdowns to seal the victory.

I'm 14-1 with my only loss coming against the Saints. Man, their playbook is tough to defend!

Edited by Eric

And another barn burner!

Playing STL the final game of the year and it's all zeroes. We go to overtime at 0-0. During regulation I miss four FG opportunities. On the first two, some LB is smoking crack and takes out my holder before I can even get the kick off. Must be an all-time great. On the second one Stoyanovich just plain comes up short from a distance he had made many from during the season. On the fourth I just plain doinked it.

Sometimes Bettis and Russell give me fits, but this time I shut 'em down to 70 yds total rushing. Bettis ran it 27 times for 10 yards. He was their leading receiver with 4-47, and my nemesis Alexander Wright didn't catch a single pass.

We burn up almost all of overtime. There's about a minute and a half left when Miller goes deep to Wright and slightly overthrows him. Toi Cook outruns Wright's dive and intercepts it. He's at about my 30, so I'm not very hopeful he can get it back into FG position. But none of the Rams come even close to smoking crack. Toi looks like he's a man among boys and easily maneuvers around all of them. Eventually he ends up pinned to the top sideline. The only thing that can stop him is if a defender dives and makes him leap (which causes out of bounds)...

But he cruises on in. 6-0 Dolphins and a 15-1 season.

What a fun bunch of games!

Dallas has burned me plenty of times in my DEF Only challenges, but nobody puts a hurtin' on like Pittsburgh.  I just suffered my worst defeat ever.

Pitt 65 - Jax 0

And I actually shut them out in the 3rd quarter!

Bam was probably in good condition in the first quarter, excellent in the 2nd, and excellent in the 4th.  I was controlling LB James Williams who was getting thrown around like a rag doll.  BAM - 36 carries for 284 yards.  Best run of the game came in the 4th on a 3rd and long.  They picked a Bam run to the bottom sideline, but so did I.  No problem for Bam.  FOUR SPIN MOVES later, including two on my guy, he'd gone 31 yards for the first down.  I'm not sure if I've seen four spin moves on one play before, and definitely not on such a short play.

Even O'Donnell was going off as all his passes were long big loopers that his receivers snatched out of the air, and by the time they landed, my defenders were totally out of position - took them 20 yards just to catch up.  281 pass yds.  Charles Johnson 4-157.  Andre Hastings 5-105.

Rod Woodson wasn't as beastly as usual.  No TD returns, although he returned one punt 73 yds down to the 1-yd line.