4Play Studios presents: Tecmo Bowl 2012

TecmoTurd

4Play studios is down an editor this year, as WarrenMoonBomb is somewhere sipping Mai Tai's with Amelia Earhart. So, I took on the challenge myself this year.

Turd: Chief editor

Cam: Ratings Editor/Reviewer

Jstout: Lead assembly developer

The premise is the same this year, it's Tecmo Bowl (the one with 4 plays!), complete with the 32 teams of 2012 NFL Football. Ratings are not exactly that of original, but stay true to the spirit of the original. HP was carefully considered, along with a team-based ratings approach. Sometimes players have to take a downgrade a notch or two in order to not make them better than they are...some liberties had to be taken in order to try and keep as realistic of a balance as possible.

What's not in this ROM:

An updated schedule for season mode (this will come at a later date)

Up-to-the-minute ratings. There might be some moves or minor innacuracies, but I'll clean them up as I notice them

Juice. I have the set patches to add juice and CPU coverage upon request

What's new in this ROM:

New mode: Exhibition. This allows you to play a non-season game against a CPU opponent of your choosing, instead of needing to follow a set schedule (thanks Jstout)

A version with the Int hack included. This hack uses the defender's special x rating to determine if the pass is an incomplete or an interception (CCs are still impossible, but now it's not 100% that your LB will intercept the ball if he's covering your WR. Revis will be fast enough to get to the play to break it up, but will rarely intercept it. Ed Reed will snatch that ball out of the sky before you knew what hit you. A version without the hack is also included.

I'm hoping to host a game of the week with tecmoaddict to get a little love and attention to this game, and to play it in a competitive setting without needing to setup a league.

I know there's not a lot of Tecmo Bowl love around here, but I hope a few of you get some enjoyment out of it.

v.90 (11 downloads) - Released

v.91 - Fixed messed up attributes for John Kasay

4Play - TB2012 [v.91].zip

• 2 weeks later...
People sometimes think it's another TSB ROM, so I thought I'd include screenshots. I got more hits on it this year because of that (I assume). Hope you like it! Please post your feedback, and let me know if you want a juiced version.

It's a lot of fun. I haven't decided how I feel about the INT hack version yet... but I love the updated rosters and how that changes the way you play. I just wish it had some new plays... I dislike most of the passing plays in the original.

New plays would be cool. xplozv and I were going to start a project to work on them a while back but he disappeared for a while. Maybe now that he's back we can restart that, though I'm currently caught up in my Baseball Stars stuff. Plus I have a 3rd kid on the way, so I doubt I'll have time for anything come March...

• 1 month later...

Awesome! I've stepped away from Tecmo and pretty much just lurked here as of late...I got mega burned out, and also couldn't ever find people to play vs. for the games I liked. Strat-O-Matic is my newest love...that being said, I hope to come back to this some day, but with another kid on the way (#3) and general burnout, I'm not looking to do it anytime soon. I'd def. be up for a casual game, I'm just not going to put in a ton of effort to get people to play.

Also, I like COD MW3, and COD took a backseat to tecmo in years past...I'm gettin my $60 worth out of it this time...

Awesome! I've stepped away from Tecmo and pretty much just lurked here as of late...I got mega burned out, and also couldn't ever find people to play vs. for the games I liked. Strat-O-Matic is my newest love...that being said, I hope to come back to this some day, but with another kid on the way (#3) and general burnout, I'm not looking to do it anytime soon. I'd def. be up for a casual game, I'm just not going to put in a ton of effort to get people to play.

Also, I like COD MW3, and COD took a backseat to tecmo in years past...I'm gettin my $60 worth out of it this time...

I'm sure you won't break my personal record. Hopefully we'll see you in Madison.

• 5 weeks later...

impressive but i think as stats go. the qb should have yds and tds or comp% with the passer rating. wr's and tight ends should have receptions with yds. and defensive backs should have the int with yds to make it feel better to view. but thats just my opinion and we are each entitled to our own.