The New York Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament - October 1, 2011

The New York City Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

When: Saturday, October 1st, 2011- Registration starts @ 11:30 AM EST; Play will start @ 12:00PM EST.

Location: BREAK Bar & Billiards, 32-04b Broadway, Long Island City, NY 11106

(Approx. 15 minutes from Midtown Manhattan, Uptown N train to Broadway in Queens)

Desired Number of Participants: 32

Buy-in: $20 cash at the door for Prize Money and Tournament Entry Fee

Equipment: We need Nintendos, Controllers, Carts, and TVs! If you are able to bring any of these in working condition, please let us know what you can bring and how many of each. If you are able to provide any television sets, please let us know the size and any kind of hookup.

Tourney Format: World Cup style Pool Play. The top participants from each pool advance into Elimination Bracket to decide NYC Tecmo Super Bowl Champion!

Prizes: Trophy and/or cash prize will be awarded to tourney champion, as well as for runner up.

How to Register: E-mail [email protected] by September 25th, 2011. Please indicate the number of participants, their names, e-mails, and contact numbers, and what they will be able to bring.

SYT on October 1!

I'm not sure of any other way by train from DC other than Amtrak. I know if you purchase tickets ahead of time, they give you a discount. From Union Station to Penn Station in NY is about only 3 1/2 hours, quicker than driving believe it or not. To get to the place from Penn Station is about a half hour maximum subway ride. I am currently looking up hotels in the area for folks traveling distance who may need to stay some place or would like to visit the city for the weekend.

For anyone coming from the Philly area, you can take Amtrak, or take the SEPTA to NJ Transit into Penn Station. I've done this before to try and save a couple of bucks, but it definitely takes about an hour longer.

Bodom, It is definitely possible in 3, though 3 1/2 is more likely. You should always account for the possibility of traffic.

I do. But I also account for my Ricky Bobby weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds skills. :D

Also, I know you said a few friends may be interested. Have any of them been on this board before?

No board members. I'll actually see a few of them this weekend and will mention it to them. It's far fetched as we all have wives, kids and pain in the ass jobs...but it's worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Great, let me know about equipment. I am asking everyone who is attending to E-MAIL ME YOUR CONTACT INFO at [email protected]. Also, if you know now who is coming/what equipment you can bring, it will help immensely with planning this event. It looks like I'll be able to use 2-3 TVs at Break and will have to provide the rest. I have about 4 or 5 extra TVs, but most of them are not very big. If anyone has a larger tube TV (20 inch or higher) for the tourney, it would be appreciated.

Break is a pretty cool place. Of course Tecmo is the focus for the day, but there's pool, ping pong, and a few arcade games, just in case some of your buddies lose miserably in the tournament, they can beat my Ms. Pac Man high score. :lol:

Thanks louis. I responded to your e-mail.

Right now we have approximately 20 participants signed up. Some may drop, but I imagine that we'll get a few more folks in on the tournament from now until October 1. My goal was to get 16-32 people signed up and it looks like that will happen.

Next phase is printing out some flyers to post and getting a Championship trophy made. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone needs a place to stay overnight that is close by: http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=13886&cid=IP_Local

The hotel is about an 8 block walk (10 mins) from Break and is outside of Manhattan (read: slightly cheaper). Also, Laguardia airport is only about a 10 minute ride away, so that's another good place to look for a place if you are staying overnight.

You should have received an e-mail with information on arriving, as well as format and rules, if you have already signed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Tournament is only two weeks away! Figured I would post the rules here as a reference or if anyone wanted to discuss.

Tournament Format:

The tournament will take place in two rounds. The first round will be pool play, in which participants are divided into separate pools of four players. Each player will play another player in their pool once. The top two players from each pool will advance to the second round elimination bracket. Pool winners being given higher seeds and sorted by record and point differential. All remaining participants advancing to the second round elimination bracket will be sorted by point differential. The maximum point differential amount allowed for one game is 28 points to prevent any lopsided victories in pool play. The elimination bracket will likely be double elimination (meaning that you would need to lose twice to be eliminated). The bracket may be single elimination if there are severe time constraints.

For this tournament, we are expecting anywhere from 16 to 32 participants. Note that some pools may be more or less than four players depending on the number of players who attend the day of the tournament. Also note that play-in games may be necessary for the elimination bracket. If play-in games are needed, they will likely be single elimination.

Team Selection:

Team Selection for Each Matchup: A coin will be flipped before each game. The coin-flip winner will choose the matchup (i.e. the two teams). The coin-flip loser then selects either (a) one of the two teams or (:wink: his preferred controller. If the coin-flip loser selects his preferred controller, the coin-flip winner selects a team first.

Note about Matchups: The coin-flip winner can only select a particular matchup once throughout the entire tournament. For instance, if Player A wins the toss and selects Rams-Broncos, Player A cannot call that exact matchup for the rest of the tournament. Player B, however, is free to select that matchup later in the tournament. For fairness sake, the use of the 49ers is prohibited, unless accepted by both opponents (come on, don’t be the guy who can only win with the best team in the game).

Rules:

Equipment Failure: If equipment fails during the game, games will be replayed from the start unless it is halftime. After halftime, scores are taken from the half and another half is played. Scores from each half are added together to form the final score. Ties are allowed in pool play. If the game is tied in elimination play, then a new game is started with the first person to score being the winner. Any malfunction caused by human error may result in an automatic forfeit due to the discretion of the tournament organizers.

Onside Kicks: Onside Kicks are okay anytime (aka, "at your own risk").

Lurching: Lurching is not allowed (dive tackling over the line of scrimmage with a DL). DL use is allowed, but you must either go outside the Offensive Tackle or grapple an OL to rush.

WR/TE at RB: Running the ball with a WR or TE from the RB position is prohibited. WRs or TEs are allowed to run the ball on reverses.

Note: If both parties playing agree to not abide by any of the last three rules, then it's allowed.

Just submitted my email. Now I see this rules post which covers most of my questions.

Man coming from something like the fighting game community, these team selection rules are very foreign to me. I hope someone can give me a rundown on strategy for matchup selection or something.

Clarification: A matchup may not be chosen twice, but can teams? Like say one round you do Colts-Patriots, can you do Colts-Saints in the tournament later? Does this reset between pool and bracket play?

And guessing you can set RB/TE to RB and just not call a play with them.

Hey Andrew, thanks for signing up! :wink:

Yes, you can propose Colts vs. Pats and then Colts vs. Saints. You might not get Colts both times, keep that in mind.

I used a tier system the last time I hosted this tournament. We are not using the tier system, but I am posting it here just in case you or anyone else is curious:

Team Tiers

One: S.F. HOU. GIA. BUF.

Two: PHI. RAI. CHI.

Three: CIN. K.C. MIA.

Four: DEN. S.D. RAMS T.B. DET. WAS. MIN.

Five: DAL. PHX. PIT. JETS ATL.

Six: N.O. G.B. CLE. SEA. IND. N.E.

I'm not sure what an RB/TE is. You can put a TE in the RB2 slot as a blocker, but none of the 4 plays can have that TE with a run play. For example, It's ok to put Pats TE Marv Cook as RB2, but the name "Cook" should not appear above any of the 4 run plays.