Brother, can you spare a dime?

Eric

For years I have been in love with interceptions and have learned to play dime defense only. I almost always control the single LB, and since there's just one LB that plays in this formation, you can usually get an awesome one in there.

This last season I played I tried playing with normal and nickel defenses. I really gave it a good effort. But I can't understand how you guys can play with those formations! Receivers were constantly left uncovered in various patterns and I was getting burned - even in nickel!

But the most surprising difference was that in formations where I am used to breaking free unchallenged to the QB or ball carrier, suddenly there was one, or even TWO, guys shadowing me, even though I was playing the play exactly as I had in dime! This made me far less effective as I had to try to evade them, sometimes get grappled by them, and, even if I could grab the ball carrier, they'd just try to knock me off!

I will say that it made some plays far easier to defense, like when I needed my LB to start higher on the screen to shoot a gap or just to get into the backfield faster, but for the most part I was a far worse player.

Anyone else use dime a lot? Anyone else noticed theses same problems with using normal and nickel?

We need more random thought posts like this about anything involving any type of Tecmo football. Nice work.

TSB2 & 3 never get any love with me but you're making me think I should give it a try again. TSB is the #1 seed for me. I played TSB3 a lot in college with a roommate. We loved using defenses that weren't just 3-4 and loved the off-season trading and signing. I love being the MLB just because the reading and reacting to what's happening and then zero-ing in like a homing missile gets me off. Covering in any Tecmo is fun but I've always felt like no matter how well I do it that the outcome isn't determined by my efforts. The one thing about playing EA's NCAA or Madden is that when you cover on defense you feel like you really do make a difference with your play. Playing an entire season locked in as a LB or even better a CB is a true challenge and a blast if you embrace it. It takes discipline that most sports gamers don't have.

Different defenses have different codes/sequences and the offense will run different codes/sequences based on what the defense picks. so apparently, the game designers either made NICKLE too weak or DIME too strong, depending on how you look at it.

but now you have a new challenge: the ALL-NICKLE DEFENSE CHALLENGE

I barely use the dime. But i do change up constantly. Typically i go with the nickel, but really only after i've studied the team. Sure, the team you're playing against is pass happy and proud. But it doesn't do a damn bit of good to put any extra sorry-ass DBs out there if it costs you better LBs. Obviously the same is said for the reverse but, has i'm sure you've noticed, there is a bumper crop of mediocrity and less in TSB3's DB corps.

Oooh that gives me an idea! I wanna see how an All Pro team with the best DBs a conference has to offer would stand up to a pass happy team. (i know that may sound weird but we never play the All Star game. EVER)

I am usually a nickel guy, depending on the team, I like mixing it up and try and use all 4, but goal line is completely worthless unless you have an awesome DL and it is an actual running situation.

Theoretically, couldn't you be the Steelers, put Rod Woodson in the right place and call dime, and audible to a 3-4 and have Woodson as a LB (or some LB as DB)?