fatcheerleader

Random Thoughts

1 hour ago, OL' Dirty Tecmo said:

MGK, I agree to a point, but would add that the United States is historically and arguably still the best place to be born and/or migrate to raise your family and flourish. 

1. I would argue the U.S is still among the top places to be but no longer the #1 among the world at large. Healthcare and income inequality being some of the primary reasons. The middle class is  getting destroyed with no sign of that reversing...

2 minutes ago, bruddog said:

1. I would argue the U.S is still among the top places to be but no longer the #1 among the world at large. Healthcare and income inequality being some of the primary reasons. The middle class is  getting destroyed with no sign of that reversing...

Is this also considering population size? I don't disagree, hence the "arguably" in there. But yeah, still good or else people wouldn't want to come here. Elect Bernie in 2020 and that'll eventually happen for sure. :/

Pocky:

1. Out of curiosity, could you give me some examples or illustrations of the racial discrimination that you've experienced?

2. Yeah, well, you know that's just, like, your opinion, man.

3. I agree. Universities these days seem like cutthroat for profit businesses. Even state universities.  I've got stories...

and as far as tax for public school goes, one thing that would help is that things need to go more on a state by state basis.  Federal needs to get out of communities public schools. The blanket stuff doesn't really work. Obviously.

In my opinion. 

Edited by buck

9 hours ago, buck said:

and as far as tax for public school goes, one thing that would help is that things need to go more on a state by state basis.  Federal needs to get out of communities public schools. The blanket stuff doesn't really work. Obviously.

In my opinion. 

I'll get back to you on the other stuff later, but I want to talk about this part. Everyone says that the federal government needs to get out of the education system, but I rarely hear about what should happen instead. How would individual states help improve the public education in each state?

Also, here's something that happened last night. I was at a small school-party hosted by the international students organization. There was your usual food and dancing and talking and all that good stuff. One interesting thing did happen though: one of the Japanese students is going back to Japan very soon, and she wanted a keepsake to remember her experience in America by. So she got a replica of the American Flag and had people sign it for her. I started to wonder if that would be considered disrespectful or not? Because I did write a small thing on the flag as well. In my opinion, I thought that to her, the flag represented a wonderful experience in her life and an opportunity to get an education, so what would be wrong with signing it?

29 minutes ago, buck said:

Do you really think that is disrespectful? I don't. It sounds pretty cool.

I didn't know if marking the flag would be considered disrespectful or not. People get offended by lesser things, as you probably know. 

Ninja Gaiden?

... night before battle, this is what ninjas got on, in the dojo...

They fall asleep to it;

after green tea, and vinyl preparation

BlackandwhiteCommonGrackle-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Bolt

On 12/1/2017 at 1:26 PM, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Game over, man. Republicans are going to wait until this farce of a tax bill is passed, then they're all coming for Trump.
"Flynn to testify Trump 'directed him to make contact with the Russians': report"

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/362773-flynn-to-testify-trump-directed-him-to-make-contact-with-the

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

With Net Neutrality about to be abolished, I thought we'd all like to take a moment to express our appreciation for services that used to be included in the 'flat rate access' of yesterday's Internet, and whose future consistent access will likely depend on new promotions as provided by the highest bidding corporation.

I'll start: YouTube. Hasn't it been a lot of fun to use YouTube? Sports highlights, music and gaming videos, and more? Whelp, with Net Neutrality abolished, broadband providers can say, "Hey, Google! Your service kills our network. Pay us $XXX,XXX,XXX or we'll throttle back on user bandwidth."

Man, doesn't that sound like fun? Or how about this one...

Subscription-based services like Spotify. "Hey Spotify, Pandora is gonna give us more money to keep user access at previous levels of speed, you can either pay us more than what Pandora is willing to offer, or we'll start to depreciate your access."

Which means that if you had invested in the offerings of a subscription service that doesn't pony up, every dollar you spent could go up like it was set of fire, because if X subscription company doesn't pay up, and if X broadband provider kicks said subscription company in the balls, said subscription company goes out of business because its competitor is willing to front the costs of the NEW INTERNET price gouging. DOESN'T THIS SOUND GREAT?

25289248_1979528152119627_23840721220583

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

We get it, MGk, you are a communist/Marxist, we already knew that.  I bet China has some form of "net neutrality", I think you'd love China, man. The Communist utopia that it is.  Almost every take you have is from a godless, communist, hateful position.

but here are two relevant questions:

how long as the internet been around?

how long has "net neutrality" been around?

And...

Is there anything in this country that that commie Obama didn't fuck with? That asshole screwed with so much. As time goes by and I see how much communist bullshit Obama did in his 8 years, and trump thankfully quickly undoes, I realize what a huge anti American communist cunt Obama is. 

We dodged a fucking lethal bullet by not electing madam commie hildabeast.

Edited by buck

If you think nothing is going to change, you're clueless. Net Neutrality regulations were put in place when it became readily apparent that corporate communications companies were starting to strategize for exactly the shit that is going to happen in the not-too-distant future. Broadband services have spent millions of dollars already lobbying this shit. Identity theft has been happening for creating user accounts arguing against Net Neutrality. Get your heads out of the f*cking dirt. T-Mobile had already started the promotions/access benefit with HBO and other subscription services, and they got their bitch-slapped because of Net Neutrality regulations.

Again, how long has the internet been around? And how long has "net neutrality" been around?

sorry, commies! You guys better flee to china or Russia or Venezuela while you still can! Get out before capitalism takes your rightful god given bandwidth!

IMG_0384.thumb.JPG.76d4ed933023540d588e3b35aa3d92cc.JPG

Edited by buck

I'm 100% with MGK on this. In a few short years, the world will be a very, very different place. A place much, much worse off. We certainly can have the same experience we do now but it will just hammer your pocketbook.

14 minutes ago, buck said:

Again, how long has the internet been around? And how long has "net neutrality" been around?

sorry, commies! You guys better flee to china or Russia or Venezuela while you still can! Get out before capitalism takes your rightful god given bandwidth!

IMG_0384.thumb.JPG.76d4ed933023540d588e3b35aa3d92cc.JPG

Buck, you're not understanding me. Net Neutrality regulations were put in place when it became apparent that communications corporations were actively creating strategies to f*ck all of us. I know you want to think that Free Market Corrections will save us all, but they won't when it comes to national infrastructural dependencies. "Free Market Correction" is not applicable to this situation because the idea of a Free Market assumes an informed and unfettered consumer base, and removing net neutrality hands the control of information flow over to the companies that most benefit from limiting it. If Comcast is able to increase and decrease the data speeds of (and, thus, access to) any sites that it chooses for its customers, then how are those customers supposed to find information regarding that action? And even if they do, if Comcast ALSO controls the only physical broadband wires leading into their area, then what competitive options are they left with in response?

The Internet is as necessary to most employment as water is to life, and will only become increasingly more important in the future. Without Net Neutrality (or stronger regulations) in place, the bar is lowered across the board for consumer financial protections and usage access. It's a pace-setting ruling for a holistic degeneration of service, putting a privilege on the wealthy, with little incentive for starter services to be created if their central target is a 'micro-transaction' model in a less-wealthy base. This is infrastructure, not a beverage brand. The RCNs of the world can barely stay alive in a more balanced market currently. Without a level field, non-major communications companies will be swallowed whole, with advances in technology becoming a dependency to competition. You think Comcast is going to heavily invest in non-pipeline technology if they have a vice grip on the consumer base? So that leaves us with, what? Angel investors pushing the future of communications commerce like Elon Musk? Uh huh, because everyone's going to be rolling in a Tesla soon, right? And that's just a car. Again, we're talking national communications access needs here. We might as well privatize public water while we're at it.

6 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Buck, you're not understanding me. Net Neutrality regulations were put in place when it became apparent that communications corporations were actively creating strategies to f*ck all of us. I know you want to think that Free Market Corrections will save us all, but they won't when it comes to national infrastructural dependencies. "Free Market Correction" is not applicable to this situation because the idea of a Free Market assumes an informed and unfettered consumer base, and removing net neutrality hands the control of information flow over to the companies that most benefit from limiting it. If Comcast is able to increase and decrease the data speeds of (and, thus, access to) any sites that it chooses for its customers, then how are those customers supposed to find information regarding that action? And even if they do, if Comcast ALSO controls the only physical broadband wires leading into their area, then what competitive options are they left with in response?

The Internet is as necessary to most employment as water is to life, and will only become increasingly more important in the future. Without Net Neutrality (or stronger regulations) in place, the bar is lowered across the board for consumer financial protections and usage access. It's a pace-setting ruling for a holistic degeneration of service, putting a privilege on the wealthy, with little incentive for starter services to be created if their central target is a 'micro-transaction' model in a less-wealthy base. This is infrastructure, not a beverage brand. The RCNs of the world can barely stay alive in a more balanced market currently. Without a level field, non-major communications companies will be swallowed whole, with advances in technology becoming a dependency to competition. You think Comcast is going to heavily invest in non-pipeline technology if they have a vice grip on the consumer base? So that leaves us with, what? Angel investors pushing the future of communications commerce like Elon Musk? Uh huh, because everyone's going to be rolling in a Tesla soon, right? And that's just a car. Again, we're talking national communications access needs here. We might as well privatize public water while we're at it.

Interesting communist perspective you have, man. How soon until you start explicitly saying that "the rich" need to die? You might as well go there, because that's what I'm reading, no reason to be a pussy of a commie. Be a man commie.

5 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

To change the subject to something much lighter, the part from 2:03 to 2:11 is quite possibly my favorite sequence from any music video I've ever seen. 

@davefmurray and @buck, what are your thoughts on this video?

I made it about 30 seconds and stopped it. Then I skipped it to the 8 second sequence you referenced and stopped it after the 8 seconds was up.

To me, this is not even music, it is some sort of marketing experience aimed at some targeted audience, audio-visual entertainment product.

i don't know how to explain myself properly.  But to be honest, that shit is like a COMPLETELY ALIEN UNIVERSE to me. I cannot relate to anything i heard or saw. I suppose a couple of the girls are physically attractive. Basically, I would describe it as insincere and or fake.

But if you like it, you like it. I'm not gonna think less of you. i know you're from a different generation and stuff. My advice, I would just be afraid of setting myself up for a huge letdown in life if I got too wrapped up in that overall scene being portrayed in the audio video experience.  I know that sounds weird, because the product comes across so "positive", but it just feels really fake.

Edited by buck

Oh Buck, I love this stuff and I'm secure enough to like it even if no one around me likes it. I even played it at work over the loudspeakers, while everyone else played stuff like Drake or terrible country music.  And I know that it is all fake and extremely shallow and bubbly, but the same can be said for just about any music video from Michael Jackson to the present. And I would be shocked if you could relate to anything in that video, or if any of you guys on this site could relate to it. The entire reason I showed it to you was because it is unlike anything you'll see in America. It's like Fifth Harmony meets the Temptations but in Korean. 

I wanted to see if you could appreciate the colors, the way the different members harmonized their voices, how the lines were distributed, how the video was cut and edited in such a way that the transitions between scenes were stylish and added to the video, how the outfits of the different members changed in typical TWICE fashion, and lastly, the famous complex dances that Korean Pop is famous for. This is very much music to me considering the skill involved. It's not like they were just autotuning all of this. 

But you are correct about it being very fake and artificial. Twice is probably one of the biggest offenders when it comes to putting out meaningless bubblegum pop. Everything about the group, from how the members look to what kind of dances they do, are all carefully planned out by their company. Each member has to fulfill a certain archetype. 

I suppose a couple of the girls are physically attractive.

But seriously Buck, all of those girls are extremely attractive. Don't lie to yourself. 

Anyways, here's a very different video from the same genre (I'm also showing you another female act, but I could show you plenty of good male acts as well):

This song is sung by Kim Taeyeon. She used to be the lead member of Girl's Generation (also known as SNSD). You may've heard of SNSD (they got on David Letterman), since they, along with Shinee and Bigbang, were part of the initial Hallyu Wave. In other words, they were the three groups responsible for making KPOP popular in the West once Gangnam Style opened the door. Girl's Generation was a lot like what Twice is now in the world of KPOP, except I would argue that they were even bigger and more influential. From 2013-15, it seemed like you couldn't avoid Girl's Generation if you wanted to do anything KPOP related. While Girl's Generation did have their fair share of happy and poppy songs, they also were much more versatile than Twice has shown so far. Anyways, like I was saying, Taeyeon was the leader and face of the group. While they did release a song earlier this year, Girl's Generation has been in decline for several years now, as most of the members are now older and ready to branch out. Taeyeon has parlayed her success from Girl's Generation into an equally successful career as a solo artist. This may be my favorite song from her. I have a feeling that you will like this one much more. 

1 hour ago, buck said:

Interesting communist perspective you have, man. How soon until you start explicitly saying that "the rich" need to die? You might as well go there, because that's what I'm reading, no reason to be a pussy of a commie. Be a man commie.

Excellent thoughts, Buck. Glad to see you’re firing on all cylinders. 

8 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Excellent thoughts, Buck. Glad to see you’re firing on all cylinders. 

How do you compare "net neutrality", as it was configured, to public water infrastructure? Not even close. Do you know how public water infrastructure is done?

are suggesting that the "public ""buy" or "rent" the current and future internet infrastructure from whoever currently owns it? How do we pull this off legally, morally, or intelligently?

Or do you just trust that however fuhrer Obama had it set up FOR ONLY THE LAST TWO YEARS was all good and perfect?

Do you even know the details of the "net neutrality" configuration?

You think it was fair? Why?  

Was there anything that could have been perfected or did  fuhrer Obama have it all right? 

And are you just knee jerk marxing, accusing of crimes before they even happen?

your Marxist concepts of the state just seizing what it wants from private companies is dangerous, as is the parallel Marxist argument that you are or potentially will be "oppressed" by "the rich".

again, your godless communist fascist utopia already exists, and you can move to it. There is no need to turn USA into your communist utopia. And before you go writing your own "menu kampf" or " communist manifesto" realize that it's been wrote and read before.

And it's easy to see thru your dangerous commie arguments. I have read the communist manifesto. If you haven't, you should, because you might just find yourself pissing your pants with glee.

Edited by buck