Jim Kelly QB glitch

Bad Moon Rison

Okay, it was Jacksonville vs. Cincinnati (exciting game, right?) Follow me on this one:

-Midway through the 3rd quarter, Starting Jacksonville QB Steve Beurelein was injured on a sack.

-When the replacement screen comes up, it says that Jim Kelly is his backup! This is impossible since this is not a trade or free agent season and was started anew. Kelly comes into the game even though he is really on the Buffalo Bills.

-His first play from scrimmage, Jim Kelly is sacked and is injured. The replacement screen comes up again, and Andre Ware makes his appearance as the third QB to come into the game!

-Andre Ware throws a pass, and it is completed for a first down (amazing in itself). Suddenly, the 300 yard passing screen appears, and lo and behold: Steve Beurelein has passed for 300 yards!

-Next thing, Steve Beurelein returns to the game, completely unphased by his earlier injury and was even able to break the 300 yard plateau while on the bench.

Okay, it was Jacksonville vs. Cincinnati (exciting game, right?) Follow me on this one:

-Midway through the 3rd quarter, Starting Jacksonville QB Steve Beurelein was injured on a sack.

-When the replacement screen comes up, it says that Jim Kelly is his backup! This is impossible since this is not a trade or free agent season and was started anew. Kelly comes into the game even though he is really on the Buffalo Bills.

-His first play from scrimmage, Jim Kelly is sacked and is injured. The replacement screen comes up again, and Andre Ware makes his appearance as the third QB to come into the game!

-Andre Ware throws a pass, and it is completed for a first down (amazing in itself). Suddenly, the 300 yard passing screen appears, and lo and behold: Steve Beurelein has passed for 300 yards!

-Next thing, Steve Beurelein returns to the game, completely unphased by his earlier injury and was even able to break the 300 yard plateau while on the bench.

Are you using a ROM? Cause that is insanity.

Yes, I was using a ROM. I saw another glitch involving Kelly last night, not as weird since it could've happened with anybody. Russell Copeland dove in the endzone for a Kelly pass. Immediately on catching the ball, he was dive tackled and the ball popped out, flopped around like a fish, but the screen still said "Touchdown." It counted. First time I had seen that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is another one for the archives...

I was playing the Oakland Raiders and Tim Brown was injured in the 1st quarter.

The substitution screen popped up and Brown was replaced.

When play restarted, Jim Kelly was the Raiders QB. I checked the game stats, and Kelly was listed as completing 7% of his passes for over 8,000 yards.

This is the first time the glitch has happened to me and Jim Kelly wasn't the player that was injured.

• 8 months later...

Same thing happened to me in a playoff game vs. the Saints. Starting QB (Brooks?) was injured. Backup (can't remember his name) comes in and finishes the game. Saints lose, but Drew Bledsoe, of all people, is listed as the Saints QB in the final stats. His numbers are 11% completions for 8,516 yards. No mention of Brooks. The backup QB is also listed as passing at a mind-boggling 232% completion rate. Interestingly, the game didn't count: When I looked at the schedule, it was as if the game had never been played (playoff brackets showed as they did before the game). So I played the game a second time and everything seemed fine.

I've had to resort to turning off injuries for all my games. I didn't mind the glitch so much but it erases your game and you have to play it all over again. It's annoying to have a great game with a player only to have it not count. I've laso learned that, when i did try to replay a game after the glitch, the same thing would happen again. So now when it happens, i just sim the problematic game.

Today I got my own "Jim Kelly Glitch".

I was playing the Cardinals vs the Seahawks, on the SNES.

In the 4th quarter, Warren was injured and replaced by Broussard at RB on the lineup screen.

First play from scrimmage, the computer hands off to ... Jim Kelly. (?!?!)

I was thinking, "I don't remember the Seahawks having a RB named Kelly ..."

Well, Kelly made it 2 yards before getting popped, and he fumbled. Despite Kelly STILL remaining in the lineup in the next Seahawks drive, the computer never gave him the ball again. Then I remembered the Jim Kelly Glitch.

The game score had Kelly with 1 carry for 2 yards.

I thought this was pretty cool, until I checked over my players stats (in the view player data, not game stats) after the game was over. Then I noticed that the game wasn't even RECORDED. It was like it never happened. I didn't hit the power button, didn't reset it. The score wasn't recorded, the stats weren't recorded, etc etc. So basically I have to replay the game all over again. Kinda miffed me.

Wow, cool glitch. Was it on ROM or cartridge? I don't think I've seen any Jim Kelly glitches on the cartridge yet....

I only play on cartridge and i've had the Jim Kelly glitch about three times. I've seen a couple of other weird things as well. The one common ingredient is that every single glitch occurred after an injury.

• 9 months later...

I got my second Jim Kelly Glitch.

SNES ... Eagles vs Redskins...

I didn't even notice it until late in the game, and I only remember injuring the starting RB for the Redskins.

Anyways, Jim Kelly became the Redskins QB at some point. In the Game Stats, Gus Ferrote was credited with having 2 receptions for 527 yards.

Again, the game didn't record and I had to play it over again.

• 4 months later...

did yall know that u can add more than one jim kelly on the game by going to free agents and get rid of one p and a dl and choose a player from the defensive line but dont scroll around to p just push i believe the b button so it will have that message that states a player is missing from that position and ull notice an arrow pointing on the blank part just push the button to view ur players abilities and ull notice jim kelly appears if u have enough points u can add him to punter. u can do this more than once and with more than 1 player

its pretty cool and u can do this with just about any position as theyll view the players in the next ordered position for example choose a blank qb do the same thing above and ull be able to get a rb to play qb and as u finish and have another team on man ull see 2 players in free agency in the place of the last player on that chosen position a great way to build ur create player like that too

if any problems just look me up and ill help u step by step

later

• 6 months later...

-Starting Jacksonville QB Steve Beurelein was injured on a sack.

-When the replacement screen comes up, it says that Jim Kelly is his backup!

-The replacement screen comes up again, and Andre Ware makes his appearance as the third QB to come into the game!

Kinda reminds me of a Madden game for the Genesis... I don't remember what year it was (94/95) but I was playing a team and they called time outs:

"(Team A) called time out."

When they called all of their time outs, they called a fourth! And it was named...differently.

"(Team A) called Oakland."

They ran another play and they called another time out!

"(Team A) called Chicago."

I think they went through like three more like this before the game ended...

Sure, no TSB reference, but the glitch made me remember this.