2011 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament (4th Annual)4-30-11

vogtcd11

Can we get an update on the competitors, Chris?

Maximum spots (64)

Current participants (27):

Chris Vogt

Jimmy Vogt

Aaron Hake

Matt Vogt

Josh Holzbauer

Chet Holzbauer

Tony Orenga

Toph Enany

Matt Tarrillion

Ryan McKay

Steve Engel

Matt Diaz

Matt Miller

Kyle Miller

Francis Buennagel

Louis Buennagel

Brad Rhinehart

Ira McCray

Tony Goodeman

Erik Merliss

Jon Bailey

Derek Ruble

Scott Putnam

Sam Shapiro

Sheldon Schlaket

Eric Feingold

Matt O'Toole

Last I saw from April 12

Current participants (27)

Hopefully Francis can make it. Can we get an update mort?

27 is a difficult number to organize...unless your wife is playing Psycho? :lol:

RIGHT... she won't be coming to this one. i'm sure there will be a few that show up the day of.

>http://tecmobowl.org/2011/04/29/tecmo-podcast-tourney-strategy-w-johnny-bailey/

A little tourney talk....good luck to everyone

Thanks for the pub.

Tournament was triple elimination.

Final Five was:

Matt O'Toole (toolie)-Madison VI runner up vs. Francis Buenaggel (mort)-Madison VI champ

Winner vs. Matt Vogt (bigmv54)-Ohio II champ

Winner vs. Josh Holzbauer-Ohio III runner up

Winner vs. Chet Holzbauer-Ohio III champ

Player who gets to Chet must win 3 in a row.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

Josh loses to Chet in two straight to win the tournament. Chet's Rams beat Josh's Skins followed by Chet's Giants beating Josh's Bills for the title.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

Thanks to Chris for another great tournament. The triple-elimination format was incredibly fun for everyone, so much so that we're considering implementing it in Madison next year. It may, however, be too many games for a 1-day event with a large field. Additional thanks to The Professor (Toolie) and Qb_Browns, who drew up an unblemished triple-elimination bracket on the fly. We will return next year to see if I can pull off the three-peat.

Stay tuned for Summer 2011 Ryder Cup news, with Minneapolis potentially serving as the host city for 4-man regional squads.

Thanks to Chris for putting this thing on again, I played horrible but had a great time.

Thanks to the Professor for helping me with his awesome math skills--drawing up a triple elimination bracket in 40 minutes is quite a feat and he helped immensely.

Thanks to garbagetsbplayer (avgtsbplayer) for somehow getting us kicked out of a cab for doing absolutely nothing but having a conversation and answering one question "Yes."

Yet another tournament goes by with some awesome games (none played by me) and good times all around. It was great seeing tecmopsycho, mort, Louis, and the Professor (toolie to the masses, but that should change) and meeting new faces around the tecmo community.

We say it every year--if you have never been to any of these live tournaments, you're really missing out. I'm obviously biased to the Madison tournament because I'm heavily involved in that tournament and am good friends with the Holzbauers. But this tournament was/is an unbelievably good time and worth the effort to make it. The Chicago tournament was put together on the fly and ended up being a great time with high quality play. Rod's Nebraska tournament--didn't go, still kind of pissed that I couldn't--was a good time from those I have spoken to. When the Holzbauers get this Ryder Cup together that will be a good time. Nothing but good comes from these tournaments. Players expand their games, learn how good they are and how far they have to go as players. More than that though, meeting everyone in person, talking and hanging out with them, having a drink and listening to people talk tecmo for hours on end with pure joy is something that has to be experienced. All of us, in some way or another, are nerdy videogame players. We all gravitated toward tecmo for whatever reason. Outside of the boards and our friends it can be embarrassing to talk tecmo with the average person on the street. Try explaining to your boss or coworkers that you are headed to Madison, WI; Fairfield, OH; Chicago, IL; Omaha, NE; or Sulphur, LA for a videogame tournament on a machine built in the 1980s featuring players from the 1990 NFL season. If you receive the same looks I get, you'll understand just how crazy that seems to the non-tecmoer. But walk in to Logan's in Madison or Symme's in Fairfield on tournament day and all you hear is the sound of people talking tecmo, playing tecmo, watching tecmo, living tecmo. It is a relief to finally be in a place where I can discuss how underrated the rest of the Tampa secondary is or argue that Mike Prior's 44 int is actually good in a Colts-Seattle matchup or wonder how Ricky Proehl--of all people--makes a diving cc in quadruple coverage against McMillan and the Jets secondary. You can hear crackpot theories on slow secondary players against fast receivers being an advantage and watch people do little rituals during the game. Live tournaments are a place where I can feel comfortable taking the Browns, call a play, throw deep to Slaughter, throw my controller down and walk away because I just know its a JJ in the endzone for the touchdown.

Find a way to get to one of these tournaments. They are never going to be in places that double as tourist destinations--if they were, you would be doing the touristy thing and not playing tecmo. They are never going to be at times of the year when you want to go--if they were in the summer or early fall you would want to be outside, not inside playing tecmo. And they are never going to be run the way you want them to, in the manner you want them to be, in the style you think is appropriate. I'm tired of hearing from everyone else why the tournament wasn't run in this fashion or how could we let that happen. Honestly, running one of these things is an exhausting, draining, mind-numbing effort. But believe me...it is so worth the pain, the arguments, the headaches, the stress, the worry. Going to one of these things is a legitimate experience.

Rod's signature was right for a long time:

"Is this heaven?"

"No, it's Madison."

How right that is.

Thanks everyone for coming to the tournament and having a good time. Keep coming, keep having fun, keep the dream alive.

I have a better picture, but I don't think it's appropriate for this website.

You guys go out afterwards and make it rain?

So to speak. There definitely was a cab ride that ended with the cab driver just pulling over and saying "Ok, here we are." Only we were two blocks from our destination. And what we were talking about was completely innocent.

Other than that it gets a little fuzzy...