Trading Players

THAT. BIRD.

Hi, I'm new to the editing scene and I'm trying to make a version of Tecmo for a couple bros. What I want to know is how to trade players around to different teams and what the best tool would be if I wanted to change team names or that sort of thing. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've hit a dead end fiddling with TSBTool Supreme and figured it would be quicker just to straight up ask.

when you hit a dead end -> RTFM

Read The F'king Manual

or in the case of TSB Tool Supreme, read the "readme".

============================== About =================================================
This tool reads human readable text files, and applies this data to a Tecmo Super Bowl ROM.
This tool was created because I wanted the ability to change a whole lot of data in TSB in
a short amount of time. I use the command line every day, and I thought that I would write this
program in the old Unix style (give the option to read from standard in or from a file, write
errors to standard error, support command line options). One of my goals for this program was to make
it easy for other programs to interact with it.
Let's say you know a little about programming, you want to make your own season scheduling program.
You could write a program that simply writes to standard out stuff like:
49ers at rams
oilers at giants

Then you could use my program to help you change the schedule in TSB.
Something like this 'scheduleProg 1985 | TSBToolSupreme TSB.nes -out:TSB1985.nes'

What the program can do:
Assign and display player names, attributes, sim data.
Assign and display Teams' "Sim Data".
Assign and display the ROM's Year.
Show schedule and schedule Games.
Show and change Team Formations
Show and change Team Playbooks

Expected Input:
Note: Lines that start with the '#' character are ignored.

#To modify a team's roster and sim data do the following.
TEAM = bills SimData=0xab
# The line above will tell the program that you are editing the roster for the bills.
#the SimData is used when the cpu simulates games, this will give the bills an offense sim number
#of 'a' (10) and the defense a sim number of 'b' (11). 0-9, a-f are valid (hex digits).

# now to modify a player. The following line will set data for QB1 on the bills.
QB1, jim Kelly, Face=0x22, #12, 25, 69, 13, 13, 56, 81, 81, 81 ,[3, 12, 3 ]

#To start changing data on another team, simply type in something like this.
TEAM = browns SimData=0x38
QB1, Bernie Kosar, Face=0x22, #19, 25, 69, 13, 13, 56, 44, 44, 44 ,[3, 12, 3 ]

NOTE: to see how faces Map, consult the 'Faces' directory for the TSBM program.

#Schedule games.

# The following line will tell the program that you now plan to schedule games for week 2.
WEEK 2

49ers at falcons
giants at redskins

# We have just scheduled the first 2 games for week 2.
# NOTE: You CAN schedule 14 games every week.

==================================== Program Usage ==========================================
This tool was intended to be used from the command line or from the GUI.

GUI:
To invoke the GUI, simply double click on TSBTool.exe, or call it from the command line with no arguments
(or with the '/gui' command line switch).
In the GUI version, all the error messages and warning messages are displayed in a message box.

In the GUI, you have 5 primary options to choose from:
1. Load TSB nes file:
Loads a Tecmo super bowl file (nes only) into memory.
2. View Contents:
Extracts all player and schedule data, dumps it to the text box.
3. Save Data:
Saves the text in the text box to a file.
4. Load Data:
Loads a text file into the text box.
5. Apply to ROM:
Applies the contents of the text box to the ROM loaded.

Command Line:
To view the help message type 'TSBToolSupreme /?' from the command line.

To view all player and schedule data from a ROM called TSB.nes do the following:
cmd> TSBToolSupreme TSB.nes

To modify TSB.nes with the data contained in the file Data.txt do the following:
cmd> TSBToolSupreme TSB.nes Data.txt

To create a new TSB file based on the contents of TSB.nes, modified with the data contained
in the file Data.txt do the following:
cmd> TSBToolSupreme TSB.nes Data.txt -out:MyFile.nes

Pipes and re-direction
This program was created with pipes and re-direction in mind. If you wanted to pipe the output
from your own custom program into TSBTool, you can.
cmd> myCustomProgram -1985 | TSBToolSupreme TSB.nes -stdin -out:1985TSB.nes

You can also do something like:
cmd> type MyTSB_Data.txt > TSBToolSupreme TSB.nes -stdin -out:Special.nes
Note: 'type' is a windows program that reads the data from the file it was passed, and prints it's
contents to standard out (like 'cat' on UNIX Linux).

NOTE:
When using TSBTool, specification of input ROM means that all data from the input ROM is imported into memory.
'Applying to ROM' will take that rom's data, apply the text data that you provided, and write to the '.nes' file
you specify.
-- If you read in Tsb_Rose.nes, changed the text (player/team data) and then Applied to
TSPRBOWL.nes we will in effect overwrite TSBRBOWL.nes with Tsb_Rose plus your modifications.

================= What this program does not do that I wish it did ===============
1. This program does not change the number of games in a week. -- Now you can
2. This program does not allow you to assign a PR or KR. -- Now You can

What this program does not do that I kinda think would be neat:
1. Does not assign Pro Bowl players.

=========================== Thanks to Emuware =====================================
I'd like to thank the guys at Emuware for making this program possible. Without the use of their TSBM program,
(which I used heavily during this program's development) this program would not exist.
I'd like to point out that you can modify more things with emuware's TSBM and TSBM2000 programs than you can
with TSBTool.

============================ Defects ==============================================
At the time of this writing I don't know of any defects in this program.
This program has defects in it, I just haven't found them yet. If you find them
post your findings in a thread in the forums at www.knobbe.org .

=========================== Disclaimer ===============================================
Use this program at your own risk. TSBToolSupreme creator is not responsible for anything bad that happens.
User takes full responsibility for anything that happens as a result of using this program.

This Program is not endorsed or related to the Tecmo video game compny.

open TSBTool Supreme

click Load TSB Rom (nes or snes TSB1)

double click rom

click view contents

select and cut entire line for team 1 player to move

create a space for and paste player into team 2

select and cut player to move from team 2

create a space for and paste team 2 player into team 1

tidy up your teams by making sure there are no unneeded lines, or lines that were not there before. Make it look like it did before. Make sure the only thing that has changed are those traded players. This may not be necessary, but I always even change their position if it is out of natural order

For example:

QB1, qb BILLS, Face=0x52, #0, 25, 69, 13, 13, 56, 81, 81, 81 ,[3, 12, 3 ]

QB2, frank REICH, Face=0x22, #14, 25, 69, 13, 13, 31, 44, 25, 50 ,[3, 3, 2 ]

instead of

QB1, frank REICH, Face=0x22, #14, 25, 69, 13, 13, 31, 44, 25, 50 ,[3, 3, 2 ]

but definitely not

QB1, frank REICH, Face=0x22, #14, 25, 69, 13, 13, 31, 44, 25, 50 ,[3, 3, 2 ]

then click Apply to Rom

Yeah, everything looks just like you explained it in my TSBTool Supreme, but the problem persists. I did a little more exploring and found that the problem exists throughout the entire NFC West. Every other division handles trading fine. Also, the trade appears to go through fairly well. Like say, if I trade Hasselbeck for Cutler or something, Hasselbeck will appear just fine on the Bears' roster, but in the Seahawks' roster it will still say Hasselbeck is QB (albeit in the garbled, peculiar looking way I described earlier), but if you go into his stats you'll have Cutler's face and stats. So essentially the trade happens, it just messes up the names for any NFC West team that makes the trade.

then click Apply to Rom

Yeah, everything looks just like you explained it in my TSBTool Supreme, but the problem persists. I did a little more exploring and found that the problem exists throughout the entire NFC West. Every other division handles trading fine. Also, the trade appears to go through fairly well. Like say, if I trade Hasselbeck for Cutler or something, Hasselbeck will appear just fine on the Bears' roster, but in the Seahawks' roster it will still say Hasselbeck is QB (albeit in the garbled, peculiar looking way I described earlier), but if you go into his stats you'll have Cutler's face and stats. So essentially the trade happens, it just messes up the names for any NFC West team that makes the trade.

Just type the name and attributes over the existing.

then click Apply to Rom

Just type the name and attributes over the existing.

No dice, the gibberish remains.

I hope you've been routinely saving so you can just go back a few saves and don't lose all your work. Did you tinker with this rom in a hex editor? When I first started editing roms I would use a hex editor and delete something or type something where you should not then I would get problems like you displayed in your 49ers picture.

I hope you've been routinely saving so you can just go back a few saves and don't lose all your work. Did you tinker with this rom in a hex editor? When I first started editing roms I would use a hex editor and delete something or type something where you should not then I would get problems like you displayed in your 49ers picture.

Naw, I haven't done anything but exchanged those two players. Also, the ROM I got off the link in these forums and haven't touched it until now, let alone with any hex editors.