Buffalo Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament (offical post)

The Buffalo tournament is being ran by 103.3 WEDG fm in Buffalo. As such its a different format.

Basically to make the tourney you need to qualify against the computer. Run up the score on the cpu as much as possible. There are 3 qualifying days. Where the top ten point differentials go on to the finals. (I know many on the site will think this is a terrible way of going about it but considering the short notice and trying to target local players I expect it to work well for a first tourney.)

If your interested qualifying is this Thursday (5-7:30pm), next Thursday (5-7:30pm) and the Wednesday (5-7:30pm) before the main tourney. Then the main tourney on the Friday the 28th from 8 pm-10 pm. The grand prize is two tickets to Myrtle beach.

This probably excludes everyone on this site from playing. The short notice doesn't help. I'm hoping the next tourney either run by them or me will be much better. However if you can make the times Lou and I plan to go to the first qualifying event. We'll post details on how much they let us get away with. We figure you can lurch, hopefully change books, maybe change the cpu's book, set an ideal match up. Where going to be as cheap as they allow us to get into the real tourney. Anyways if your close enough to be interested we'll try our best to give you as much info as possible so you can make the real tourney. If not well at least I (or Lou) may have something to do on our vacation time after all.

Full offical details are here.

Lou and i went to the first qualifier. I had an event high 84. one higher than the runner up. Lou topped out at 63. The final field and rules will not be set till the final qualifier.

There are some changes to the basic information they gave on the tourney.

1. the qualifier is Buf vs Dal, cpu is Dal. it goes by points scored with differental being a tie breaker.

2. no nose tackle use allowed. no playbook changes in either event though that might change for the final.

3. the final field is not the top ten at each event but rather the top 32 overall.

4. they will be doing a coinflip matchup selection just like madison. one person picks matchup and the other team.

5. Strong indication of this tourney to happen annually. This is as i suspected a first time go around to feel things out. The guys there showed a strong interest in tecmo and other tourneys. So hopefully a bigger buffalo tourney is on the horizion.

6. They didn't use original systems and instead used three in one consoles for snes, sega and nes. Very modern wide screen tv's are the norm unlike most tourney's where the action is on older televisions.

As for qualifying in case anyone has two days open i'm guessing 70 points will more than assure entry. Lou and I plan to go to the final qualifier at the macroons which is closer to our home in Cheektowaga. The final will be very near Ralph Wilson stadium. The first bar was next door to the Ralph. Cazumel's is downtown. Again I doubt I have much interest on here but the guy running it wants to do a tourney every year.

Also how about the growing popularity of tecmo tourney's with three tourney's in two weeks. Two on consecutive days and all in the winter. A time of year I originally thought would make a tourney very hard if not impossible.

day to of qualifying had to have at least 40 people. A lot of participation do to constant radio advertising, word of mouth and other internet advertising is making this a good event. Lou broke 70 with 71 which should easily get him in. Or anyone on here who might be interested.

The finals have been updated to allow playbook changes but they will also allow a wr to have running plays. Lesser of two evils in my book.

Finally I again have a strong feeling there will be another tourney at some point. Oogie games, which runs it is a retro gaming company that does good business and has ran other tourney's. The turn out today was incredible and a lot of people plan to return or go for their first try at the final trial. Hopefully we can build some momentum from this and bring about a very good buffalo tourney in the future.

I certainly hope you're not serious about that, Turd.

It's not a horrible way to weed out players from the start without having to arrange a PvP game, I guess. It gets you a final bracket to work with.

Not perfect, but... if you're winning by 70 you obviously will have played you some serious TSB. Random gamers and people don't just walk in and do that, even against the CPU. Most people panic if their play is picked and won't still try to get a pass off, or run for a different hole, for example.

Sure, it will weed out the horrendous guys. However, when you only have 10 spots available, this system is not really doing much else besides ensuring that no one in that group of 10 is horrendous.

Either way, Francis should win this tournament.

Francis and Louis, I don't mean to be knocking the tournament. I'm with you in that I'm hoping it grows into a serious tournament.

it might have been a bit more serious if it had been jets or that level versus san fran with no playbook changes. It does get guys playing but getting the score up doesn't take much. A few onsides kicks, lucky breaks and calling a pass play proven to get open time after time. Most of the game i just call the third shotgun and throw to Thurman. A few of the guys might have some promise. Yet i have a feeling few of them have done much to practice for man on man play. So I feel like a kid about to steal candy from a baby. With the background thought that if I lose to anyone but lou and stratis I may not be able to show my face anywhere ever again.

the third qualifier had a lot of people, more tv's and a few good suprises. The number one score of 93 points scored went to Louis. my best was just a mere 84-3. Straits made it despite a very bad game of 56 points when the cpu screwed him over. Still he then broke out to score 77 points. Anyone above 70 should easily make it to the finals. Also I met a former TPC player in bildosagins who I think qualified for the international tournament at BW BBQ on Friday. Yes the radio guys have been calling it that for the last week.

Its amazing how tecmo brings guys and beers together. I saw the kid who lived behind me when growing up for the first time in 10 years. He scored 70 so I think he will be in as well. Also there seems to be a lot of interest in tecmo here this tourney is showing. Might be possible to jump start a better tourney. Or just one more excuse to drink.

In bad news we learned there will be no playbook changes in the finals. Wr will be allowed at rb. Most of the people playing do not like the rules but supposedly time is all important compared to the two minutes it takes to make a proper change. I doubt one final appeal for a change will do much but in the future I've been told this might change.

I hope to use this tourney to get momentum going to play tecmo. Also i can finally give away all those koozies I took from the cincy tourney to help promote tecmo, this site and get people to play and have fun. The finals are just two days away. And it turns out Lou and I may set a record to play in consecutive tourney's as we just signed up for the Cleveland tourney.

The tourney was great. I won. Lou made it to the second round before falling and stratis in the third round. There was a lot of people in a little bar at BW's BBQ but a great time. Everyone seemed to have a lot of fun. More importantly there is a lot of local interest in tecmo. Several signs of future tourney's from the radio station, gaming store and us in a more traditional grass roots way. Can't wait to get the ball rolling. But first its off to cleveland next weekend.