Online Tecmo Leauge

Warrenmoonbomb

To any TB-lover,

Though this section of Knobbe has been deader then it has been in recent times, our work and care for the Original Tecmo Bowl has not. We've started a 6 man leauge over at the wonderful Pure Tecmo, drafting 8 player groups which should be fun to analyse. Just register an account to comment. It would be great to hear from Tecmo Vets and anyone interested in the game, particularly TecmoMadBrad's, BoKnow's, and Nate's commentary and analysis.

The sub-fourm: http://www.puretecmo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=194&t=32957

So I'm browsing all the TB sites and catching up on my TB editing/reading and come across your league rules...

Rules

1. It is unacceptable to throw the ball when a receiver is making a cut, slant, or curl. This makes the game unplayable

2. No QB Running. If all your WR's are covered, run out of bounds, or head to the LOS and take your hit

3. No throwing to WIDE OPEN Indy TE Pat Beach on Pass 1 when the defense has called Pass 1. In all normal circumstances every receiver is covered when the defense chooses the right play, but on Indy's Pass 1, the TE is wide open every time. The QB could throw to him for a 5 yard gain every time. This is why it is outlawed.

They seem funny and very limiting but I get it.

Well, to be honest, these rules were lifted from the experts (Tecmo-Mad-Brad and BoKnows). Those guys are the TB forefathers, and they were made due to things they learned about the game that make it otherwise unplayable. They seem limiting, but anyone who has tried it knows that it's not as bad as you might think. The game engine works in a way that you can exploit a few things:

1. It is unacceptable to throw the ball when a receiver is making a cut, slant, or curl. This makes the game unplayable

Moreso on TB than any of the later versions, throwing a pass to a curling WR is unstoppable (due to no jumping). Literally. Obviously there's a reason why this rule is made.

2. No QB Running. If all your WR's are covered, run out of bounds, or head to the LOS and take your hit

This might be one of the more debatable rules. You could technically send your WR's deep, wait for the coverage to follow, and then just run every play. I'm actually open for debate on this one, as I feel we could change some things that would spark some more offense...that being said, anyone can take off with QB on every play, and the game just gets boring. This rule gives a little more edge to the defense, and actualy makes the game quite intense. This one is a work-in-progress. For now, I'm just using it because that's what the experts did, and it's been proven to work. You'll hear more about this.

3. No throwing to WIDE OPEN Indy TE Pat Beach on Pass 1 when the defense has called Pass 1. In all normal circumstances every receiver is covered when the defense chooses the right play, but on Indy's Pass 1, the TE is wide open every time. The QB could throw to him for a 5 yard gain every time. This is why it is outlawed.

This rule is another one that was lifted from the experts. There's actually more to this rule. It should actually read "You are not allowed to gain positive yardage on a picked play. The defense should not be punished for picking your play." The Pat Beach one is mentioned because it's literally unstoppable.

In essence, most of this makes the game more defensive. The guys in our league like it that way, although I'd like to see some more offense, but either way, the system works. We will tweak as needed, and feedback from the guys is always welcomed and discussed openly. I'm just glad we're playing.

If you want to see the page we got the info from for this when we started investigating TB, go here:

In essence, most of this makes the game more defensive. The guys in our league like it that way, although I'd like to see some more offense, but either way, the system works. We will tweak as needed, and feedback from the guys is always welcomed and discussed openly. I'm just glad we're playing.

I'm all for more defense but can't humans being a LB with some solid tackling help contain the QB keeper?! I'm sure the very experienced TB gamers are a bitch to contain. I play with morons that ask me what button does what after hours of playing.

I've told you this before... my best buddy and I play a game we call "Army-Navy" where you can't pass or kick field goals. We just run the ball and have to pound it into the endzone or punt it if we get stuffed. We've done this on TB, TSB, EA's NCAA and NFL games. It's awesome. This TB league seems like a pure form of that which has me very interested in joining in future seasons.

If you get your shit together, you could actually join our league and have some discussion about this!

:D fat chance! Honestly, I can't believe I have never played either TB or TSB online -- I'm such a tool. Especially since you've offered to help 10x. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Marino 3rd overall? Mel Kiper says that's a reach. Also Mel Kiper's head exploded when Ronnie Lott dropped to 10th overall. Ronnie Lott 10th! Wow.

SF's playbook is criminally undervalued in this draft. IND's is the best. SF's is #2. The rest are not close. Well maybe CLE's. CHI's special teams going 17th is an interesting pick. On the one hand their punter blows, on the other MIKE GENTRY! Only problem is that playing against essentially all-star teams his effectiveness is going to be limited.