How to associate .nes with Nestopia in Windows 7

I had it set-up originally, but I can't remember how I did it.

My wife's "genius" brother (who works on the Geek Squad) supposedly "fixed" our computer today. Now, I've got to open Nestopia, then File>Open> to load the program.

I've done the usual right-click "Open with..." and "set as default program" but it's not working. For one, Nestopia is not listed as a "recommended program" or even as an "other program" and when I "browse" to find the program manually, the option of "Always use selected program..." is not available.

Granted, not a huge crisis, but just enough a pain in the arse to make me want to give my brother-in-law a good shake. Especially since I've had it the previous way for as long as I can remember.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I had the same problem and others have had it too with other file associations-program connections. What happened is that either the location of nestopia was moved or the original folder was deleted. However, the path was never destroyed in your registry. Before you get started, to the location of nestopia and copy the folder name down exactly as it appears. Either write it down or copy and paste it to a blank word/wordpad document.

1.) So open your registry=> type regedit in the search fuction and then open it

2.) Under HKey_CLASSES_ROOT, click applications

3.) Click the following: Nestopia.exe=>shell=>open=>command

4.)There should be an icon marked defult..double click it

5.) Here the most important part....you should notice that the path will have the old folder name. Highlight that piece only, and type in the new/correctly one EXACTLY as it appear paying attention to capitalization, spaces and/or punctuation.

6.) Hit Ok and close out regedit.

Now when you go to a .nes file and right click, nestopia will already be listed with your recommended programs. Make sure to check the box that lets you use it for all .nes files and thats it!

One final word of advice is to make sure you know what your doing when messing around with your registry or you can reall f'up your computer. But it is helpful to know how to use it because one time you might need to ge trid of a pretty resiliant virus and the only way to do it is to destroy all the pieces that exist in the registry.

Drat. I was hoping I wouldn't have to mess with the registry. I crashed a computer in college chasing after a rogue program in regedit.

I did what you said, but it still has "Notepad" as the default program. I don't know how or why Notepad is the default for a .nes file. Stupid brother-in-law.

This is what it looks like: "C:\...\NES\nestopia.exe" "%1" does that %1 have any significance?

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to help out a complete stranger. Thanks.

I just did the "Open with..." dialog in Windows 7 on tpc_original.nes. I used the "Browse..." option and found Nestopia. I do see the checkbox for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

I'm not sure what's different for you, but it worked for me.

----------------------------------

If you already have a file extension associated with .nes, you can change it in the control panel.

Control Panel > Programs > "Make a file type always open in a specific program"

You can find the .nes extension and use the "Change program..." button.

Yeah, it's got me stumped. I did everything as you described... the only difference is that, once I selected Nestopia (after clicking "Browse") when I cam back is wouldn't let me click "OK" leaving only the "Cancel" button.

Oh well. It's annoying, but I appreciate y'all trying to help out.