7th Annual Madison Tecmo Tournament

holzy11

Excellent tournament! Logan's was a terrific venue, as the set-up exposed all players and customers to a 360 degree Tecmo immersion experience. The protesters who came in for lunch looked thoroughly confused by garbagetsbplayer's posse.

The highlight of the tournament had to be the Elite 8 games. Last year my game with Jay H. in the Elite 8 was played in front of a crowd of 1.5 people. This year the games were set up where you could pretty easily view all four games at the same time, which was fortunate because every game was exciting and the sizable remaining crowd gathered around to watch. Seth beat fulcher in the "boring" game, leading the Bills past the 49ers. Both Sobhi (blocked Travis' Al Del Greco FG in OT and won in 2OT) and Jimmy (O'Dell late 4th fumble in FG range and then another in OT) snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. And then Mort went into his old bag of tricks and, with 1 second left, threw the game-winning bomb to Mel Gray. Four great games with three thrilling endings and a lot of "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH". The semis weren't all that memorable, and Jimmy's offense ran like clockwork in the final.

Personally I had a good day, going 3-0 in group play (benefited from some bad opponent match-up calls) but eventually ran into Travis who beat me rather easily in the round of 16 (JET-NO does me in again). Probably my punishment from the gods for knocking out Rod the round before. Met a lot of great guys and enjoyed getting together with the regular crowd. Someday I'll be too old / child-laden for this, but until then it's ON TO TECMO VIII!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we forget, there are several persons that Josh and I need to thank for their efforts in planning and running this year's event. Coordinating and operating a 144-man tournament is by no means a 2-man job. Rather, it is a collaborative and oftentimes exhausting effort.

Avgtsbplayer: all the website work (hundreds of man hours) and tournament day assistance;

QB_Browns: organizational mastermind, tons of tournament day assistance, Final 4 commentary;

Child of Destiny: artwork on the website, creating the poster board, tournament day assistance;

Erin: marketing director, registration desk duties;

Jamie: hosting pre-tournament festivities, preparing food for everyone;

Knobbe (RodWoodson): broadcasting games, Final 4 commentary, general tournament publicity/awareness;

Toolie: skilled and absolutely hilarious sideline reporting (i.e. live look-ins);

Ryan33fulcher: tournament day setup and equipment provider.

Again, thanks to all who helped make Tecmo VII a success.

Few records set/streaks broken during Tecmo VII that I wanted to post:

1. Sobhi becomes first person to make FOUR final fours in the Madison tournament (Tecmo II, III, IV, and VII). Prior to Saturday, he was tied with me (Tecmo I, V, VI) for three.

2. Mort becomes first person since Sobhi to play in back-to-back championship games.

3. Jimmy B becomes first person to win two Madison Tecmo titles.

4. My streak of 5 consecutive Final Fours in Tecmo tournaments was broken (Tecmo VI, Louisiana, Ohio, Chicago, Nebraska)

5. Jay H finished outside of the Elite 8 for the first time (Tecmo II, IV, V, and VI). He wasn't present for Tecmo III. What an amazing run. In possibly the biggest shocker of the tournament, he didn't advance out of group play.

Another great tournament in the books. Thanks to Holzbauers for having the original idea...6 years later the little 20 man tournament is now at 144, just unbelieveable.

Thanks to:

garbagetsbplayer for putting in a few hundred man-hours on the website.

Child of Destiny for another incredible logo, t-shirt design, and poster.

Erin for getting Chet on the radio and general marketing.

Jaime for some awesome food on Friday that Tony did absolutely nothing to help you with.

ryanrfulcher33 helped out with set up and take down which is a huge burden for anybody, let alone just 4 or 5 of us.

Rod, one-third of the best Tecmo broadcasting team in history, without his mic and analysis, it would have sounded more ridiculous then it did.

Matt O'Toole is the best sideline reporter in the game today.

TecmoPyscho for playing another high quality, enjoyable, and heart-attack inducing game against me. He and I have played twice in single elimination portions of tournaments, both games have come down to the wire, and both games were decided by a single touchdown with the opponent having an oppotunity to tie in the last minute.

Thanks to everyone who tuned in to hear Rod, Matt, and myself during the Final Four and championship game. Thanks to everyone who gave us an interview at the end to round out the day.

Great tournament and I hope everyone returns next year.

Two final closing remarks:

1. 5 of the 7 Madison Tecmo Champs are proud to call Wisconsin home (Beach-Tecmo I, Peter-Tecmo III, Jimmy B-Tecmos IV & VII, Kevin-Tecmo V)

**Addendum: Sobhi pointed out that he lived in Wisconsin when he won Tecmo II, so 6 of 7 of the champs have been from Wisconsin.**

2. For the folks out there who think only great tappers can win Tecmo tournaments, know this: Jimmy B is an awful tapper, and he's now won two Madison tournaments. On behalf of all weak tappers out there: Congrats, Jimmy!

I have to say, I did not play a single easy game in the tournament. the qualifier was smooth sailing, but every single game in the actual bracket was tough.

the elite 8 vs travis was rough. he played really well and capitalized on some really critical mistakes. i felt like i did something incredibly dumb every other play, but something completely terrifying in between to equalize it. nail biter for sure.

the game vs jimmy was a blowout until i jj'd to 14-21 beginning the 4th. some called play run 3 conversions did me in after two forced third downs. he kicked my ass though fair and square. i just could not stop the good cond tolliver/butts combo.

Based on the lukewarm response we got at Tecmo VII to "OctoBussey" as the name for Tecmo VIII, we're considering changing the name. Most guys didn't seem to get it -- it's a shame because it's a combination of a bond movie, the number 8, and a Tecmo player.

We currently have a list of 197 names (no joke) that we're considering as replacements for the Tecmo VIII name, so we'll see where we land. We went through many rounds of rigorous voting before we settled upon "The Hoss Whisperer" for Tecmo VII, so we'll likely do the same for next year.

Based on the lukewarm response we got at Tecmo VII to "OctoBussey" as the name for Tecmo VIII, we're considering changing the name. Most guys didn't seem to get it -- it's a shame because it's a combination of a bond movie, the number 8, and a Tecmo player.

We currently have a list of 197 names (no joke) that we're considering as replacements for the Tecmo VIII name, so we'll see where we land. We went through many rounds of rigorous voting before we settled upon "The Hoss Whisperer" for Tecmo VII, so we'll likely do the same for next year.

I'm looking forward to the announcement of Tecmo VIII: In Rod we Trust!