Small NE Ohio Tourney 11/14/10 4:00PM-8:30PM

NE Ohio Tecmo Super Bowl Tourney - Sunday, November 14th, 2010

When: Sunday, November 14th, 2010 - Registration @ 4:00 PM EST; Games from 4:30PM-8:30PM EST

Location: C Mulligan's Pub, 6450 Pitts Blvd, North Ridgeville, OH, 44039

Maximum Participants: 12

Tourney Format: Double Elimination

Buy-in: $15 cash at the door

Prize: Trophy and cash prize awarded to tourney champion

Signup: E-mail [email protected] by October 31st, 2010

Equipment Information: 2 big screen TVs will be provided by the venue. I will provide 2 original NES top loader consoles, 2 copies of the greatest sports game of all time, and extra controllers. Feel free to bring additional consoles, cartridges, adaptors, and controllers. Please let me know what you are able to bring when registering via e-mail.

Confirmed Participants:

01. Ryan

02. Dan

03. Ned

04. Jay S.

05. Eddie

06. Eric

07. Nick

08. Bryan

09. Kris

NE Ohio Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament Rules:

1. Team Selection, Tiers, and Coin Toss:

- A manual coin flip will precede each game. The coin flip winner will choose the matchup (both teams). The coin flip loser selects their preferred team or preferred controller (side).

- 7 team color coded tiers are provided (see Excel attachment) as a guideline for fair matchups. Matchups can be selected outside of the same tier if agreed upon by both competitors.

- Opponents should discuss whether or not they would like to see the in-game coin toss.

2. "One Matchup Once" Rule:

- The coin flip winner can only select a particular matchup once throughout the entire tournament.

3. Customizing Playbooks and Lineup Changes:

- Teams will be each given 1 minute to customize their playbooks prior to starting a game.

- You can access your "change" screen (screen where you check player conditions and make substitutions) once per quarter.

4. WR or TE at RB (Prohibited):

- It is only permissible for a WR to carry the football if he is in the WR slot in the lineup. A WR or TE cannot be substituted for a RB at any time.

5. Kicking:

- Onsides kicks are allowed anytime (at your own risk).

- A defense's fourth man down (ROLB) is allowed for use on XPs AND FGs.

6. Ties:

- If a game ends in a tie after overtime, a new game will begin with the same teams and the first player to score wins.

7. Lurching (Prohibited):

- If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle, or "popcorn" someone on the offensive line. You cannot simply go around your blocker and dive.

8. General Courtesy (Violation will result in forfeiture from the tournament)

- No looking at opponent’s controller or eye movement when picking plays.

- No throwing equipment or intentionally damaging equipment.

- Respect the game, your opponent, and those around you. Offensive language or actions will not be tolerated.

9. Nintendo Malfunctions:

- If there is an equipment failure in the first half, games will be replayed from the start. If equipment malfunctions in the 2nd half, only the second half is replayed. In that event, the scores from each half are added together to obtain a final score. If the game was uncompetitive or the equipment malfunctioned due to human error, the tourney organizers reserve the right to declare a winner without replaying any portion of the game.

Thanks for your interest and hope to see you at the tourney! If you have any questions, please let me know.

Ryan McKay

NE Ohio Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament Director

[email protected]

Official signup:[email protected]

TSB Tournament Flyer.ppt

TSB Tourney Rules, Stats, and Matchup Tiers.xls

Just curious: how do you do a 12-man tournament fairly? Why not go to 16 so that nobody gets a bye in the first round?

I debated going to a 16 player tournament... The venue is fairly small. I figure games will take 20 minutes on average and with 12 teams max and two tv's/consoles running, the tourney will take around 4 hours from start to finish (4:30PM-8:30PM). I'm not sure how many people will RSVP but even if I expand to 16 teams and 14 or 15 RSVP, at least 1 team would have to get a bye. I will have numbered poker chips in a hat to draw for seeding no matter how many players we end up with to determine the opening round matchups. I will consider expanding if there is enough interest.

• 1 month later...

;) Good luck today! Please post results, pics, videos, whatever. ;)

16 is the way to go. Your Excel sheet is nice. I'll be reading it at work today during annoying meetings. ;)

Thanks! I'm glad you like the spreadsheet. I spent quite a bit of time on it - enjoy ;)

On your spreadsheet, where did you get your numbers for the Off Rank, Def Rank, Total? I'm guessing, without doing the math, that it's the players total combined attributes?

10 people met up at C. Mulligan's in North Ridgeville, OH to play in a small double elimination Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament this past Sunday:

Special thanks to owners Mike and JoAnn Vetrano! They were excited about the idea of hosting a Tecmo Super Bowl tourney when I first presented it to them, helped me promote it, and make it a success! They made us all feel welcome and everyone had a great time ;)

The Venue:

C. Mulligans

6450 Pitts Boulevard

N. Ridgeville, OH, 44039

The Players:

01) Nick

02) Anthony

03) Chris

04) Dan

05) Ryan

06) Ned

07) Tray

08) Eddie

09) Brian

10) Jay

The Recap:

Undefeated Bracket

Round 1

Nick vs. Anthony - Nick (Bills) took it to Anthony (Oilers) all 4 quarters ih the most lopsided game of the tournament 45-0!

Dan vs. Chris - Dan (Chargers) defeated Chris (Bills) 17-13

Ryan vs. Ned - Ryan (Eagles) over Ned (Oilers) 21-17

Jay vs. Brian - Jay (Chiefs) defeated Brian (Bears) 28-7

Round 2

Nick vs. Tray - Nick (Browns) defeated Tray (Packers) 17-7. The Browns blocked a field goal late to expand their lead and hold on for victory!

Dan vs. Eddie - Dan (Bengals) over Eddie (Bears) 24-7

Round 3

Nick vs. Ryan - Nick (Patriots) defeated Ryan (Seahawks) 10-7. Ryan missed a field goal early in the game that could have sent the game into overtime after a late touchdown from Krieg to Blades.

Round 4

Nick vs. Jay - Nick (Bucs) over Jay (Packers) 30-14.

1 Loss Bracket

Round 1

Ned vs. Chris - Ned (Chiefs) defeated Chris (Dolphins) 24-7.

Anthony vs. Brian - Anthony (Lions) avoids going two and out by rallying against Brian (49ers) scoring a late touchdown in the 4th to win 14-13

Round 2

Ned vs. Tray - Ned (Dolphins) squeaked one out against Tray (Benglas) in OT. A gutsy call by Tray to go for in on 4th down on his side of the 50 yard line backfires and gave Ned a short field to march down the field with Marino and company. 27-21 F/OT

Eddie vs. Anthony - Another OT thriller in the elimination round as Eddie (Steelers) defeated Anthony (Redskins) by recovering an Ernest Byner fumble and returning it 60 yards to the house for the win with Greg Lloyd. 13-7 F/OT.

Round 3

Ned vs. Dan - Ned (Browns) defeated Dan (Jets) 24-7

Ryan vs. Eddie - Ryan (Cowboys) over Eddie (Cardinals) 31-14

Round 4

Ryan vs. Ned - Ryan (Eagles) came back from a 13-0 deficit (QB Eagles had 2 fumbles in the first half) to to win over Ned (Raiders) 17-16 on a last second field goal.

Round 5

Ryan vs. Jay - Ryan (Giants) defeated Jay (Raiders) 42-0. The Tecmo gods had it in for Jay as his team committed 7 turnovers (4 interceptions, 3 fumbles).

Championship Game

Nick vs. Ryan - Nick (Colts) over Ryan (Patriots) 7-3 in a tight defensive contest to take home the trophy and win the tourney. Congrats Nick!

post-10988-13413728637165_thumb.jpg

post-10988-13413728638292_thumb.jpg

post-10988-1341372863928_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to offer my two cents about this tourney. For the Madison people, I was O'Toole's friend at the Madison tournament...

First off, I want to thank Ryan for putting on a great event. Things started on time, games moved along, it was organized, and most of all it was a great group of people playing and talking Tecmo.

As a side note, just like in Madison, everyone talks about this site (I corrected the mispronunciation of it) and they loved the fact that I had actually met Knobbe/Rod Woodson in person! (you have a huge following in the Cleveland area!)

1. First game I won 45-0 (Buf (me) vs. Hou). It was a game where just everything was going right for me, and horrible for Houston. Moon was missing open WR's and couldn't complete his patented throw into triple coverage for completions. By shutting down the Houston running game, it really was difficult for the Oilers to get any traction. QB Bills and Thurman were great, didn't turn the ball over and was able to win. On one hand, I was bummed I was going to have to play an extra game and not get a bye right away, but looking back on it I'm glad I was able to play this game and calm my nerves.

2. Second game I called the GB/Cle matchup, and was given Cle. I jumped out to a 10-0 lead, but then the "Magic Man" cut the lead to 10-7 and was driving when they stalled in Cle territory. They went for a FG but Blaylock ( I think ) was able to block the kick, and a tie turned into a 17-7 victory for the Brownies.

3. Third game was against Ryan, and I picked the NE/Sea matchup, and he chose Sea. As expected, this was a defense struggle. Staurovsky banked in a 25 yard field goal to go up 10-7, while Norm Johnson shanked about a 30 yard field goal. This turned out to be the difference, as Seattle scored a TD late, but ran out of time.

4. Fourth game...I was given the choice of TB vs. GB...I took TB. GB actually jumped out to 7-0, and 14-7 leads. I was able to tie it 14-14 in the 2nd quarter and was driving into GB territory before half, but ended a play with 2 seconds left in the half and wasn't able to get off the FG in time before halftime. I kicked off at the start of the 2nd half, and for the first time I can remember, my coverage team stopped his kick return, in the endzone for a safety! I then drove down the field, and a Vinny T 27 yd. QB keeper TD run took the score to 23-14. This turned out to be the pivotal point of the game, since I hadn't been able to stop GB up until that point, but thanks to the safety I was able to go up 2 scores by the mid point of the 3rd quarter. After this Haddix turned into a beast and shut down Haddix and Woodside who had been running and catching dump passes aplenty in the first half. Some stats from this game...

Keith Woodside - 136 rushing yards (10 att)

Gary Anderson - 142 rushing yards (9 att)

Both teams had 11 first downs

Testaverde had a 100% completions for 189 passing yards.

Majkowski had 57% completions for 119 passing yards.

Mark Carrier was the MVP with 2 completions with 124 receiving yards.

5. Championship Game...I threw out IND/NE, and Ryan deferred since he wanted player 1, so I went with Indy. As he said in his recap, it was a defensive struggle. I jumped out to a 7 - 0 lead, and almost put the game away later in the half, but the Tecmo gods said no. I was around my own 45 yard line with about 40 seconds left in the half, my plan was to run around 2 times up the middle and kick around a 50 yard FG right before half to go up 10 points, but instead Ivy Joe Hunter busted thru the line and thanks to some tapping ability, bounced off a couple of defenders. I believe Ryan's player got bounced so I thought I was home free. I juked a defender around the 10 yard line, but Hunter's 38 rushing speed wasn't enough as a defender dived and tackled me at the 1 yard line. Since time had expired that run went for naught, and I entered halftime still only up by one score. I forget if it was during the 2nd or 3 quarter, but Ryan kicked a FG to cut the lead to 4 points. After a Marc Wilson INT late in the game, I was unable to run out the clock and was forced to put with a couple of minutes left in the 4th quarter. The Pats drove down the field and got into the red zone, but Wilson missed an open Fryar and a semi-open Hart Lee Dykes in the endzone. I called one of his plays and he was forced to go for it on 4th and about 13...but it wasn't meant to be as Wilson threw into coverage for an INC. I got the ball back with about a minute or so, and rode the Bentley to a couple of first downs to seal the victory.

Some stats from the Championship Game

Team Stats: NE, 19 att, 92 rushing yd., 75 passing yds., 10 FD's

Ind, 18 att, 167 rushing yd., 45 passing yds., 7 FD's

John Stephens - 12 att., 59 yds

Ivy Joe Hunter - 6 att., 88 yds

Marc Wilson - 36% comp., 76yds., 1 INT

Jeff George - 40% comp., 43yds., 0 INT

Irving Fryar - 2 comp., 39 yds

Bill Brooks - 1 comp., 33 yds

I am also posting a pic of the trophy I won, which has a pose able football action figure on top...very cool!

post-10745-13413728640278_thumb.jpg

I'd always assumed but thanks for letting me know!

Nice write up!

As a side note, just like in Madison, everyone talks about this site (I corrected the mispronunciation of it) and they loved the fact that I had actually met Knobbe/Rod Woodson in person! (you have a huge following in the Cleveland area!)