Chicago TECMO BOWL Tourney

bob sacamano

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I played in the first of four qualifiers. The matchup was set as GB/CHI since they played Monday night that week. You also could not change playbooks. Very questionable format. I was fortunate enough to win the toss of which team I'd prefer. So we can all guess who I was. We also only play one half of a game, and I too won the coin toss in game, so of course I chose the ball. If this wasn't enough, my opponent picks up his controller to play, and is just kind of starring at it - clueless as to how to use it. heh. So I tried to alteast tell him the basic controls, and you can guess what the outcome was.

I am moving on to the grand finale on 10/21. The first place prize is badass, in an all paid trip to the BCS Title game! I do not know who all went to the other qualifiers that I might know, but Flo too was there on the night of the first qualifier, and advanced as well. I figure there is a very good chance it should be he and I in the Title game, for ALL the marbles! Perhaps we need to work out some kind of 2nd place prize between the two of us, cause i know my lady wants to go if I were to win! heh. Let's chat Flo.

My friend HYPO went to the 4th Qualifier at Moretti's last Thursday (10/14). The matchup was Chicago vs Seattle. He lost the coin toss and ended up getting Seattle and the 2nd controller. He really got screwed there. He ended up getting ousted 14-10. He really lost on a fluke play. He managed to intercept Harbaugh but as soon as he got the pick, his player got hammered, fumbled the ball and the Bears took the fumble all the way in for a TD, haha! In the closing seconds of the 2nd Qtr, he threw a deep ball that fell incomplete in the endzone! Really close to winning pulling it out but no cigar! He said that if they played the remaining 2 Qtrs, he would have beat him. Oh well. Onto Galaway Bay for the real tournament.

Here's the update for anyone who cares. I just got back home from the tournament, and it was a hell of a time.

The rules were as follows:

32 man, single elimination. T

ecmo Super Bowl for NES.

If you win the coin toss, you get to choose your team, coin toss loser gets pick of controller.

You can only be a team once.

No changing playbook.

No changing rosters or even checking rosters.

I don't know if the lurch was disallowed, but I didn't even see anyone attempt one.

So every game was niners/oilers/bills/giants/eagles/bears/kc or something of the sort.

I was in the 'Mongo division', and the only other person I knew was Odell in I think the 'Ditka division'. We were on opposite sides, so we could only play in the finals if we were so lucky to play each other.

I don't remember any of the guys' names who I played. I'm terrible with names.

I decided to just use teams I think I could win with, to hell with saving teams.

My first game I was the Lions vs Oilers. I think, maybe Bills. I was definitely Lions. I got a couple of quick breaks. It was a pretty close game, except for Cofer blocking an XP, so he was always two scores away. Final was 21-13.

I think my next game was the Oilers vs Bills matchup I played. I was Houston. Warren Moon was clutch whenever I needed him. Bennett in single coverage vs Houston was money for me. It was always pretty close, but I think I was in the lead all game. Final was 27-17 or something like that.

This game might have been before that. I had to play a few games back to back, they all kind of blur together with a couple beers involved. I was Eagles vs the Oilers. First play of the game Byars fumbles, I hold him to a FG, quick 3-0. He didn't stop me on offense after that. I was able to milk clock with QB Eagles and score before half. It was 14-10 me at halftime. He received and I think it was just back and forth scoring all second half. More milking of clock with Eagles, and some good running by Sherman, I kick a FG to force overtime. QB Eagles receives, drive it in for the TD to win it. 30-24 final?

The Oilers/Bills matchup definitely came after the Eagles game. I did have to play them back-to-back. I made some comments about how Moon was as clutch as Randall.

Final four game to make it to the championship game. He won toss and decided to go Bills, I took Niners. He won in-game coin toss and elected to kick. Short return followed by 85 yard bomb to Rice. I hold him to a FG, and follow that up with a called play safety. 7-5 his ball. I forced a punt, score another TD. 14-5 at half. After that, it was all Niners. Thurman Thomas did nothing. QB Bills couldn't complete a pass. Final was 28-5. I punted on first down at one point, to be an asshole and try and keep it interesting.

That means I'm in the finals vs the winner of the other final four game. The two guys still left were Odell, and this guy named Phil (I think. Like I said, I suck with names). I didn't get to see much of the game. I think the matchup was Bills vs Niners. Odell was definitely the Niners. I think Phil jumped to an early 14-0 lead. It might have been 14-7 half, and 21-14 final. Don't quote me on the final score, but Phil won.

Someone said they heard he still had the Niners left. He won the coin toss and differed team selection to me in favor of controller. I said "fuck it", and went with Tampa Bay. Vinny Testeverde and Wayne Haddix spent all day doing nothing, and that's just plain wrong. He won in-game coin toss as well and kicked off.

I take opening kickoff, and get a good drive together that eventually stalls in the redzone. I take the field goal. 3-0 good guys.

I think he worked a long pass to Rice or Taylor, and gets a nice drive together as well. I hold him to a 4th down just inside the 10 yard line. He decides to take the risk, and hits Roger Craig in the corner of the end zone in double coverage. It was two drones, no Haddix in on the play. 3-7 him.

I get the ball back looking to do some damage and maybe get out of the half up 10-7. I think it was 3rd down, might have still been second. I get a nice run with Anderson on Tampa's run-1. It's the fullback fake, hb toss. I out tapped him in the backfield and work some jukes, nice 25-30 yarder. Fumble at the end of the run. Niners ball. A couple of quick plays, 3-14. His lead.

I can't do anything in the short amount of time, we go to half with that score. I'm down 3-14. The guys putting on the tournament told us to take a break at halftime so they could raffle stuff off while everyone was around watching the game. Some guy walked up and asked if either one wanted a shot. I thought the game was close to over, so I took him up on his offer. A shot of whiskey and an Old Style later, and we are back to the game.

He elected to kick to start the game. So, let's recap. He is up 14-3. He has the Niners vs my Bucs. I have to kick it off to him.

Fuck.

Anyways, things start looking up for me. He ends up fumbling the opening half kickoff. I recover with a short field. His defense is solid, and forces a 4th down. This was a huge turning point in the game. I was inside the 10 yard line, I think. I danced between kicking the field goal or closing the kick-menu-thingy. To the disappointment of the audience, I went for the field goal. I can only imagine what NFL coaches feel when everyone wants them to go for it. Anyways, 14-6. I'm still down by two scores.

On the next possession, I only remember one play. He threw it deep, and one of my drones picked it off. I drive, stall again, and take another field goal.

We open the 4th quarter with him up 14-9, and he has the ball. I don't know how I did it, this is a terrible write up, but I force a punt. Vinny T has two minutes, and a little change, to drive 80 yards for a touchdown. If you couldn't feel the pressure, don't worry. The sports talk-radio personality who was there running the tournament, Silvy from the Waddle and Silvy show, (

• 2 months later...

As most of you may recall, Flo took home an all-expense paid trip for two to the BCS Title game for winning Chicago's ESPN1000's Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament. Quite possibly the best prize ever given out at a TSB Tourney! Kyle, you will have to let us know how it went! Go Ducks!