TSB 2011 Please Test My ROM

proads26

I'm considering reevaluating the way I calculate a few of the Sim values for the players. Let me know what you think of the player's Sim values in this update.

Can you post a quick explanation of how you came up with your ratings and/or sim values? I know you used Madden but I'd like to know how you transferred those numbers to TSB. I'm always curious how people came up with their numbers.

I'm not sure how brief it will be but here goes. In my spreadsheet there are tabs for each team which hold the various teams' rosters. On the Ratings tab I have a table that has all the player ratings from Madden 2011 which can be downloaded from various sites. Also on the ratings tab I have tables that contain the ranked attribute values from the original TSB, organized by position, or "similar enough" position. (I count QB1 and QB2, RB1 and RB2, RB3 and RB4, WR1 and WR2, WR3 and WR4, & TE1 and TE2 as "similar enough" positions.) From the table with the Madden ratings I use some formulas to calculate values for each TSB attribute from RS to Sim Kick Ability for every player. These values are organized into another table. The ratings tab pulls the players names from each team's roster tab and organizes them by position, or by "similar enough" positions. The values I calculated from the madden ratings are ranked for the players that will be in the game relative to the players who play his position, or his "similar enough" position. Each player's rank for a given attribute is looked up on the historical table for his position or "similar enough" position and the corresponding attribute from the original TBS is returned. This method maintains the minimum and maximum attribute levels for the various positions that existed on the original as well as the "gradient" of attributes that existed for each position that ensures that the best players are better than the average players, and the average players are better than the poor players in the same manner as they are in the original without the ratings "exceeding all the other programming" in the game. This is how my ROM plays like the original.

Take for an example Adrian Peterson's "calculated abilities" relative to the other starting running backs' (RB1 and RB2) "calculated abilities"; he is 2nd in RS, 1st in RP, 2nd in MS, 1st in HP, 62nd in BC, 51st in REC, 1st in Sim Rush, 18th in Sim Catch, 1st in Sim Punt Ret (Sim Receiving Average) and 43rd in Sim Kick Ret (Sim Frequency Targeted by QB) based on what I calculated from the Madden ratings.I use a VLOOKUP to find the rank for each of AP's attributes on these "historic" tables and return the closest corresponding TSB attribute. So the VLOOKUP returns 56(2nd best RS on the original among starting RB) 75(1st RP on the original among starting RB) 69(2nd best MS on the original among starting RB) 94(1st HP on the original among starting RB) 38(62nd best BC on the original among starting RB) 25(50th best REC on the original among starting RB) 12(1stbest SRSHA on the original among starting RB) 4(18th best SCTCH on the original among starting RB) 12(1st best SYAC on original among starting RB) 2(37th best STAR on original among starting RB).

A few of the other sim values are further modified based on the other players on his team. I hope this makes sense...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, great work with this rom. After spending a lot of time trying to win some games with Buck's rom, i've decided it's just too hard for me right now. I like how the AI isn't juiced and it's got the classic feel to it. The ratings seem proper as well. Also, great job on the NFL shield and NFL Network HD logo. The rosters on this rom are the most updated I've seen too, and all the team colors seem appropriate.

The only suggestion I can make would be to add some stitches to the football.. I'll be following this one from now on so I'll keep my eye open for any errors.

Hey man, great work with this rom. After spending a lot of time trying to win some games with Buck's rom, i've decided it's just too hard for me right now. I like how the AI isn't juiced and it's got the classic feel to it. The ratings seem proper as well. Also, great job on the NFL shield and NFL Network HD logo. The rosters on this rom are the most updated I've seen too, and all the team colors seem appropriate.

The only suggestion I can make would be to add some stitches to the football.. I'll be following this one from now on so I'll keep my eye open for any errors.

Thanks Bud, I'm glad you like my efforts. I'll see what I can do about figuring out some laces for the ball.

I think this could be the last update I'll put out for the season. Call it Tecmo Super "What Might Have Been." It features current rosters with the addition of those key players who have been injured or suspended, plus two infamous hold outs. The ROM features Logan Mankins (one of the hold outs), Leigh Bodden, Ty Warren, Antwan Odom, D'Qwell Jackson, Domonique Foxworth, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, Elvis Dumervil, Vincent Jackson (the other holdout), Matt Stafford, Jermichael Finley, Will Blackmon, Al Harris, Atari Bigbi, Nick Barnett, Sidney Rice, Reggie Bush, Darren Sharper, Steve Smith, Donnie Avery, Mark Clayton, and James Butler, plus any starter who was recently injured, all in their proper postions and in their full glory. All arrivals and departures via trade or free agency or whatever still stand, so except for Jackson and Mankins, if they aren't on the roster, they aren't in the update. Hopefully this update will give the super fan his or her team at "full strength".

This update also features a massive update of player uniform numbers, I think about ten percent of the players in my database had old or incorrect numbers, so that should be solved. I used new formulas to calculate HP, and all the Sim abilities to make sure that the simulated games more closely match the non simulated games. This update also features updated Pro Bowl rosters due to these new formulas and the addition of all the players listed above. I also retooled the playbooks to hopefully make them not so repetitive. And one last thing, courtesy of buck, each KR and PR on this update uses his own MS, the player 2 KR name never disappears, and the KR is always on the "X" before the ball arrives as he should be.

Please let me know if I have left any players out who should be included, and what you think of the Sim Attributes, Pro Bowl rosters, playbooks and KR/PR MS. The update is in my original post

Whoa, that's awesome. I enjoy playing TSB on my PSP or laptop, but I think I'd much rather enjoy a setup like that. Playing a repro cart on a NES on a big LCD tv.. sick. I'd rather have that than Madden, haha.

Thanks it is pretty awesome!! My TV is actually a DLP, just a bulb, a screen, and some mirrors, not a whole lot to go wrong... Anyway about the only thing that would make it any better is if the NES had a HDMI output and the game was in 5.1 channel surround!!!

• 3 weeks later...

First off, great job on the rom. I love it.

I'm in the process of tweeking the rosters (based on personal preference and current YTD performances - i.e. Arian Foster)

A couple quick questions for you:

1. In modifying some teams depth charts, the PR and KR needs to change. I've modified the PR and KR "fields" using TSBToolSupreme, but this has no effect in the ROM. The PR and KR return to the position that you originally specified.

2. Does your original post list any/all hacks that you've applied to the rom?

Thanks!

First off, great job on the rom. I love it.

I'm in the process of tweeking the rosters (based on personal preference and current YTD performances - i.e. Arian Foster)

A couple quick questions for you:

1. In modifying some teams depth charts, the PR and KR needs to change. I've modified the PR and KR "fields" using TSBToolSupreme, but this has no effect in the ROM. The PR and KR return to the position that you originally specified.

2. Does your original post list any/all hacks that you've applied to the rom?

Thanks!

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it! It is odd that the KR/PR won't change for you, I just tried to change a few teams' return men with the TSBToolSupreme and I was able to do it without any problem. All of the older versions I've posted on this thread, 81-93, had the hacks listed in my original post, but test 94 only has the "Use Quickness for INT" hack and a set command I got from buck that fixes the KR/PR MS issue for real. When I downloaded the TSBToolSupreme it also came with a readme file and a TSBToolSupreme.exe.config file and whenever the tool is giving me troubles I just drag the config file over to the tool icon to run the config file with the tool and that usually solves my problem.

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it! It is odd that the KR/PR won't change for you, I just tried to change a few teams' return men with the TSBToolSupreme and I was able to do it without any problem. All of the older versions I've posted on this thread, 81-93, had the hacks listed in my original post, but test 94 only has the "Use Quickness for INT" hack and a set command I got from buck that fixes the KR/PR MS issue for real. When I downloaded the TSBToolSupreme it also came with a readme file and a TSBToolSupreme.exe.config file and whenever the tool is giving me troubles I just drag the config file over to the tool icon to run the config file with the tool and that usually solves my problem.

The KR/PR problem has to do with my file. I was able to edit your Test94 file and have the change carry through to the ROM, but in my "modified"-test94, it doesn't work. I'm fairly certain it's related to the way in which I cut and paste from the text editor I was using.

Do you, by chance, know the set command to fix the QB PA/PC for the 32 team ROM? I was surfing through the boards last night and was unable to find it

I know of it, but I've never used it. Let me know how you like it, and if it's worth using. You can find it at http://www.tecmobowl.org/forum//viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10784

Thanks, I'll check it out.

So now that I've updated the Rosters to my liking, I've decided to take a different approach to Attribute ratings, and have developed my own formulas based on mid-season stats (well, week 10 stats to be exact) that maps the stat rankings onto original TSB rankings. I've completed my update of QBs and am happy with the results thus far.

Now I'm trying to match up the SIM values in the same way - but I do not know the original ranges. You had mentioned in a previous post that you had the original SIM values. Is this something you would be willing to send me?

Thanks!

Now I'm trying to match up the SIM values in the same way - but I do not know the original ranges. You had mentioned in a previous post that you had the original SIM values. Is this something you would be willing to send me?

Of course! I attached it to this reply. This sheet contains player and team data from the original ROM, including the sim values.

Original Data.xls

• 4 weeks later...

So I've finally finished my ROM. It turns out it was a much larger task than I had thought, but the spreadsheets that I created are all linked, so an update from here won't be too bad. I have some tweaking to do on simulated Defense, but other than that, I'm happy with it. At one point, you had commented that you had fixed the Arizona and Jacksonville abbreviations to ARI and JAC from ARZ and JAX, respectively (at least I think that was in your posts...). Do you know a command to change this?

So I've finally finished my ROM. It turns out it was a much larger task than I had thought, but the spreadsheets that I created are all linked, so an update from here won't be too bad. I have some tweaking to do on simulated Defense, but other than that, I'm happy with it. At one point, you had commented that you had fixed the Arizona and Jacksonville abbreviations to ARI and JAC from ARZ and JAX, respectively (at least I think that was in your posts...). Do you know a command to change this?

It can be done in hex for one.

Of course! I attached it to this reply. This sheet contains player and team data from the original ROM, including the sim values.

I think you should make a new thread in the Rom Editing forum with this spreadsheet attached to it making a quick note of what it is. I don't believe this TSB player data has been notated like this, and I think it's awesome. Do it up?

I think you should make a new thread in the Rom Editing forum with this spreadsheet attached to it making a quick note of what it is. I don't believe this TSB player data has been notated like this, and I think it's awesome. Do it up?

Sure wouldn't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

It can be done in hex for one.

I'll have to check into that.

I've finished up a season ending update - I had to adjust a few of my formulas which were using "total season" stats instead of "per game" stats - the result was that good players that were injured ended up being mediocre, and my changes brought them to where I thought they should be. I ran some simulations and need to clean up a few things: a couple formation changes, 2 player changes, and shuffling plays around (ex: Forte has 4 runs and consistently in the top 3 for attempts and top 5 yds. - reducing him to 3 runs will cut off 35-50 carriers/season)

Once I'm happy with my simulations, I'm willing to post the ROM if anyone is interested.

Here's a question: for skill players, the last two simulation values are certainly used for Receiving Average and Targets, respectively. But they are also referred to as Sim PR and Sim KR, respectively. However, in my simulations, I see very little (if any) correlation between these numbers and PR/KR rankings.

Can anyone offer insight?

Attached is my 2011 TSB rom.

Based on the "TSB 2011 Test94" rom submitted by proads26, this ROM is my own update to the game. What started as a simple Roster update turned into a complete personalized recalculation of player attributes. All attribute calculations were based on 2010 stats only, with the exception of the following players, who did not post enough useful stats in the 2010 season:

Marc Bulger, Matt Leinart, Curtis Painter, Sage Rosenfels, A.J. Feely, Ryan Grant, LenDale White, Donnie Avery, Kris Jenkins, Elvis Dumervil, Bob Sanders, Atari Bigby, and Shawne Merriman.

Attributes for these players were based on Career statistics.

Fixes/Hacks applied:

KR/PR hack

Quickness used for INT return hack

PA/PC hack

Feedback is very welcome - if anyone is interested as to which stats I used to generate which attributes, I can post more details.

TSB 2011 2v1.zip

• 2 weeks later...