buck's "HighSpeed" 2010 NFL TSB ROM - SUPER BOWL update 2/05

buck

nah, I'm going back to the original TSB code - where the kick returner's MS comes from the RT.

I've got the top 3 return teams with a 44 MS RT, the next 3 or 4 with a 38 MS RT, a majority of teams with 31 MS RT, and a few with 25 MS RT.

Don't ruin your rom!! Even on the original, once you get past the defenders you can weave your way to a TD. I don't think it has as much to do with MS as it does RS and RP. I'm going to play with the version I have for a bit and see if I can find a happy medium with the speed scales.

nah, I'm going back to the original TSB code - where the kick returner's MS comes from the RT.

I've got the top 3 return teams with a 44 MS RT, the next 3 or 4 with a 38 MS RT, a majority of teams with 31 MS RT, and a few with 25 MS RT.

Don't ruin your rom!! Even on the original, once you get past the defenders you can weave your way to a TD. I don't think it has as much to do with MS as it does RS and RP. I'm going to play with the version I have for a bit and see if I can find a happy medium with the speed scales.

dude, it won't ruin it - if anything it's already ruined with the hack...13 kick return TDs? the major change will be that all kick returners for a particular team will use the RT MS.....and don't you remember just holding your breath during kick returns on the original TSB? exhilarating.

ps - RS and RP are shared by off and def

dude, it won't ruin it - if anything it's already ruined with the hack...13 kick return TDs? the major change will be that all kick returners for a particular team will use the RT MS.....and don't you remember just holding your breath during kick returns on the original TSB? exhilarating.

ps - RS and RP are shared by off and def

True - I probably should have worded that different. I wasn't trying to say your rom would suck if you changed this back. I just like the use of the KR/PR hack.

As for RS/RP - I wasn't going to change the game code itself. Maybe just export the rosters into the roster spreadsheet, drop RP for all RB/WR/TE, then reload into Tool and see what happens....

Rom is amazing bro. Why is TO's receptions on 6?

Haha ya I saw this to just didn't say anything. I thought it might have been Buck showing his dislike for him or trying to make it show that he has bad hands or something. I mean T.O. probably is your favorite WR (probably not) but I kinda thought it was just a statement rating.

And this is just a question seems to be like this on all the hacked TSB's. Why is it so easy to return a TD on KR? So far with with Miles Austin iv returned 9-13 on KR. Like I said on other versions new and old much of the same.

well, the answer is that these newer hacked roms use the "Kick Returner MS" hack - that means that whoever is returning kicks will use their own MS instead of the Right Tackles MS (like the original TSB code). Unfortunately that usually makes it too easy to return kicks against COM.

I've been going back and forth - trying to decide whether to use this hack - because during MAN v MAN, at least on my ROM, returning kicks is tough. But against COM, it can be easy to get mad yards - so, I usually sub in a slow return guy.

But, I just screwed around with this and I think I've had enough of the easy kick returns - I'm going back to original TSB style (maybe have max Kick Returner MS at 44). Gotta experiment to find a with good range of values that will work for MAN and COM.

Well as it is said in the title of this thread, isn't this the High-speed TSB. Like as you said you've tweaked how the values of RS/RP/MS translate onto the field. Would it be possible to either look a little more into the hack for kick returner MS or just into the coding for kick returns to get the speed to your liking and be similar to how the offense and defense's speed is used in your rom?

on a more positive note, I finally figured out how to change the '1991 ROSTERS' at the super bowl credits to '2010 ROSTERS'.

Sweet! Are you going to post hex locations and how to do it? Seeing the 1991 makes me salty. I see Bodom's point about the kr/pr but you can always do what you did last year and post multiple versions with and without certain hacks. Nice work.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

on a more positive note, I finally figured out how to change the '1991 ROSTERS' at the super bowl credits to '2010 ROSTERS'.

Sweet! Are you going to post hex locations and how to do it? Seeing the 1991 makes me salty. I see Bodom's point about the kr/pr but you can always do what you did last year and post multiple versions with and without certain hacks. Nice work.

The hex locations are already out there - just search "1991 ROSTER". It took me about 5-10 minutes to figure it out.

There's only going to be 2 versions at most -> one with 'auto-dive' and one 'without auto-dive'. Sorry, but I made this ROM to be something in particular and if people can't hang, then what can I say? I'm going to take and incorporate feedback (thanks everybody - it's making it better, I believe) but in the end, it's going to be how I think a TSB ROM should be - and it takes too much time to make variations. I'm already spending too much of my life on this damn thing (but it feels so good).

Nobody should be worried about dropping the kick return hack! All it does is give the Right Tackle's MS to whoever is kickoff returning - that's it! As far as high-speed is concerned - MS is MS and 50+ MS is way too much for returning kicks. Heck, 38 is too much. Look at the original TSB - most RT are 19-25 MS! Only a couple are 44 (NO and PIT), and there aren't many 31 or 38. So, since I've compressed the MS scale (most offensive skill players are 31-50) I'm going to make most teams 31 MS RT, a few only 25, and very few 38 and 44. Again, this won't effect anything except kickoff returns (which are way too easy as it is right now).

Does just removing the auto-dive make pass defense worse or better? Seems like it would be better sometimes (not diving and missing) and worse others (not diving to get there and grapple).

a little of both, actually.

worse in the sense that if the defender is a little late or behind (you can time this right with your throws and exploit it), he will jump and miss and the WR will catch, and the diving used to deflect sometimes.

better because if a defender is underneath, will jump and deflect more and better because you don't get 3 defenders diving and leave the receiver with wide open space.

I like it. just play a few games with it and tell me what you think.

This thread is giving me flashbacks. Xplozv was really close to making TSC MAN playable, but then he peaced. Hopefully, we'll get back on that again. So much has changed in so few years regarding quality of these ROMs. Frankly, I look forward to putting my creative juices back into our little unspoken but poorly hid community competition. 8)

Again, good shit, Buck. Disregard the H8ters.

I don't want to add the more jumping hack though. I have tried the roms with no autodive and more jumping. I personally didn't like it as it looked strange to see guys jumping all the time.

I was just curious if you had tried it with just no auto-diving.

Plus there is a greater possiblity for all players to jj int on my rom so having them jump all the time would be bad.

My rom should be coming out tonight or tomorrow

I don't want to add the more jumping hack though. I have tried the roms with no autodive and more jumping. I personally didn't like it as it looked strange to see guys jumping all the time.

I was just curious if you had tried it with just no auto-diving.

Plus there is a greater possiblity for all players to jj int on my rom so having them jump all the time would be bad.

My rom should be coming out tonight or tomorrow

well, just removing the diving isn't enough for me. I wanted to open up the passing game a little - and I think I did because you can exploit the more jumping. But because of the no diving, receivers aren't in wide open spaces - so there is less YAR.

It's a compromise for sure - you get a little better pass def in some situations where the jumping helps - but then you can get burned by the jump, too.

Another strong point is that the no auto-dive with more jumping helps COM passing. for next year I would like to use the alternate defensive formations (with no play picking like the roms Maynard and xplozv make) - I think this hack would be crucial for those roms because I always felt like COM couldn't pass at all.

Is there a way to make the ball browner? I've always been kind of annoyed by the beige of it.

I'm sure it can. It shares the same palette as the white players on the field. I guess you'd have to assign that particular set of tiles to another palette. just like the Yellow FG posts cxrom did for me originally. I have no clue how he did it though. I tried to swap palette's and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Ask your question in the hacking documentation, or rom editing section of the forum and maybe someone could help out. 8)

Is there a way to make the ball browner? I've always been kind of annoyed by the beige of it.

I'm sure it can. It shares the same palette as the white players on the field. I guess you'd have to assign that particular set of tiles to another palette. just like the Yellow FG posts cxrom did for me originally. I have no clue how he did it though. I tried to swap palette's and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Ask your question in the hacking documentation, or rom editing section of the forum and maybe someone could help out. 8)

i have tried the same elway and came up empty..

i have tried the same elway and came up empty..

If you notice on me and drunkens rom, we have a darker ball with a white stripe. We did some serious editing to the sprites and pallets, but a simple solution is to redraw the ball sprites using a tile editor. When you redraw, use the same color slot as the shadow. Then go into the color pallette, and change the color pallet to a dark brown. The dark brown shadow is not noticable if you make it dark enough. Finding the balance of brown/black is the key.

When do you think the next updated release will happen?

I probably logged 50+ games in already, and although extremely addicting, I have a couple concerns.

All the QB's need to be slowed down a bit. Brett favre should have a 0 for all speeds. Vince young should be much higher.. or at least on par with Aaron rodgers (top 1 and 2 rushing QB's last season)

Mostly all RB's have very low reception ratings, and a couple receivers including Terrel Owens (6) should receive a significant boost.

Jason Campbell was a top 3 rated quarterback in 50% of the seasons I generated although he's a arguably a bottom half quarterback in the league.

Maurice Jones-Drew is slightly under budget in comparison to the top 5 running backs.

Ryan Matthews, starting RB for chargers, is black

Arian Foster, RB for Houston, is already listed as the starting RB on the depth chart and received all 1st half carries in the preseason - slayton didnt play til 3rd quarter.

4th player down on Kick defense is too fast, a minor speed decrease would not hinder their defensive capabilities as opposed to blocking 50% of kicks.

That's all that really comes to mind at the moment... props on the rom though, going to be fun to play when the actual season starts.

When do you think the next updated release will happen?

I probably logged 50+ games in already, and although extremely addicting, I have a couple concerns.

All the QB's need to be slowed down a bit. Brett favre should have a 0 for all speeds. Vince young should be much higher.. or at least on par with Aaron rodgers (top 1 and 2 rushing QB's last season)

Mostly all RB's have very low reception ratings, and a couple receivers including Terrel Owens (6) should receive a significant boost. The TO receptions rating is an error and is already fixed.

Jason Campbell was a top 3 rated quarterback in 50% of the seasons I generated although he's a arguably a bottom half quarterback in the league.

Maurice Jones-Drew is slightly under budget in comparison to the top 5 running backs.

Ryan Matthews, starting RB for chargers, is black

Arian Foster, RB for Houston, is already listed as the starting RB on the depth chart and received all 1st half carries in the preseason - slayton didnt play til 3rd quarter.

4th player down on Kick defense is too fast, a minor speed decrease would not hinder their defensive capabilities as opposed to blocking 50% of kicks.

thanks alot for the feedback. I'll give a quick response to each concern:

QB speed: 6 MS is the slowest you can make anyone - but I can reduce their Running Power - I'll look into that for Favre.

Vince Young: for some reason, I have a hard time giving the team with the fastest RB a fast QB, too...

RB receptions: those are globally low for a reason - I don't want any RBs with higher receptions than the worst WR.

Campbell - I'll look into those SIM ratings

MJD - what attribute do you think needs increased?

Ryan Mathews - I get this sort of feedback alot (like I have Polamalu as "white" and rey maulawhatever) the thing is -I don't care what "race" he is - he has much lighter skin than the typical "black" person - so, my interest is to emulate the actual "skin tone" rather than whatever his so-called "race" is.

Arian Foster is the starting RB for the Texans - he is RB1 and has 3 running plays

Blocking kicks - I can speed up the snap (it's already very fast), but I can't make the COM Kicker kick it faster. What I do when playing COM is: NEVER try to block any kick.

Thanks again for the feedback, I will look into those issues and I hope you understand my responses.

post-3789-13413728437899_thumb.jpg

I'm doing a MAN season with the Broncos and Tebow is starting for me. He' s horrible but I like it. in Week1 against the Jags, Tebow hit Graham on the last play for a diving catch td for the win. $$$! In Week2, he hit Royal a ton of times and the Seahawks fell short with two fumbles. I'm 2-0 and have the Colts next. Gulp.

Problems:

1. 3rd run, "L FB SW DN" has a fake handoff to RB1 and then hands off to RB2 aka FB and he goes UP not down.

2. Did you take Jim Brown from your NFL Time Machine rom and change his name to Julius Jones?! Jebus, he's ridamndiculous. 8)

3. Running between the tackles seems nearly impossible.

4. Dallas vs Minnesota, both teams in white jerseys

5. The white screen creeps me out but that's just a personal problem I have.

I'm doing a MAN season with the Broncos and Tebow is starting for me. He' s horrible but I like it. in Week1 against the Jags, Tebow hit Graham on the last play for a diving catch td for the win. $$$! In Week2, he hit Royal a ton of times and the Seahawks fell short with two fumbles. I'm 2-0 and have the Colts next. Gulp.

Problems:

1. 3rd run, "L FB SW DN" has a fake handoff to RB1 and then hands off to RB2 aka FB and he goes UP not down.

2. Did you take Jim Brown from your NFL Time Machine rom and change his name to Julius Jones?! Jebus, he's ridamndiculous. 8)

3. Running between the tackles seems nearly impossible.

4. Dallas vs Minnesota, both teams in white jerseys

5. The white screen creeps me out but that's just a personal problem I have.

1. I changed the "L FB SW DN" to a play called "L HB GRIND"

2. COM will run all over your ass if you're not careful (even a low-rated RB like Julius)

3. I don't know what to tell you - try different plays

4. I'll fix that

5. I love it

I just finished a really fun season with WAS (default playbook). Went 14-2, but lost to MIN in playoffs (missed a game-tieing FG at end of regulation) Portis had around 1200 and 20+ TD. McNabb had around 30 TD and low-teen INT. Probably had about 10+ Team Defense INTs...all this off the top of my head, not looking at the stats here.

Sorry if you have answered this i can't really check the board too much with school but when is your next release buck, or do you have a timeline with certain release dates already set(i.e. september 8, october 8, november 8, etc.)

My Gantt Chart software is too buggy right now, but the next one will be released: A day or two or three before Thursday, September 9th.