Tecmo Bowl: Hitting Power testing

TecmoTurd

This thread is in relation to the original 12 team Tecmo Bowl version...

So, I was messing around with the ROM tonight, and I wanted to determine how popcorning worked in this game, so I ran a number of tests...

Test #1 - Set all defenders to be a certain HP and set my RB to be 96 and used a binary search to find the value where he stopped popcorning the defenders.

Results: 96 popcorns 64, but not 65 (32 point difference needed for popcorn)

Test #2 - Same as above, but set my LB to 96 and set their RB to a low value and kept on changing it until my LB no longer flattened the RB.

96 popcorns 46, but not 47 (50 point difference needed to flatten)

So, what this means is that for offense, your high HP guys (controlled by a man vs. a CPU)

Mack (88) popcorns anyone 56 or lower, Bo (80) popcorns 48 (the minimim for most offensive players). Lionel Manuel and his 32 HP gets popcorned if someone passes a vigorous fart in his direction. Noone of real value posesses a 56 or lower HP.

So, what this means is that for defense, it is nearly impossible for any player to flatten any other player, because the highest HP defender on the game is LT (86), and that would mean only 36 HP guys could get flattened, and means once again, Lionel Manuel (32) is getting the shit kicked out of him by Taylor, Singletary, and The Fridge.

I have yet to test OL vs. DL, but that will happen when I get some more free time.

I love this game.

With the one tool I released, you can put any play you want. 4 passes, 4 runs, whatever.

As for the other stuff, just wait, it'll be cool. It's a slow work in progress, but that's all for he best.

In the meantime, you cn use emuwares editor o do all that. But if I have my way, it will be topped.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

Test #1 - Set all defenders to be a certain HP and set my RB to be 96 and used a binary search to find the value where he stopped popcorning the defenders.

Results: 96 popcorns 64, but not 65 (32 point difference needed for popcorn)

Does 96 popcorn a human defender with 64 HP? (ie Does being controlled by the human add hitting power to the defender? I suspect that it does as the human is never instantly popcorned by the ball carrier like the computer is)

Man vs. Man: purely who taps the fastest

Man vs. CPU: popcorn/flatten rules in effect

CPU vs. CPU: untested

In man vs. man it is some combination of HP and tapping that causes tackles. The human defender doesn't even have to tap most of the time and he'll still win the "grapple". Bo, Mack and Walker can all break away from a grapple sometimes if the defender doesn't tap.

In man vs. man it is some combination of HP and tapping that causes tackles. The human defender doesn't even have to tap most of the time and he'll still win the "grapple". Bo, Mack and Walker can all break away from a grapple sometimes if the defender doesn't tap.

sometimes nate tapping slowly cause him to still get popcorned by Mack, and the other big boys.