2nd Annual Tecmo Ryder Cup

holzy11

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be cool to have more than just "WIS vs WORLD".

A couple of my buddies said that they would be willing, even though they aren't that good. Good enough to compete with a little training. Plus me an Odell, Chicago would be sitting at 4. I'm sure we could pull together 2 more guys for a team.

If some other guys got together and made another team of Minnesota/Ohio/Nebraska or whatever, that would be awesome.

I don't care where we do it. If you guys need help finding somewhere by or in Chicago, I'll see what I can do.

Flo and I are in, and I'm down for whatever.

If we are to do a Minnesota/Illinois team of 4-6, that will not be a problem whatsoever, getting some good enough talent. There are a couple CHI players out there that I'd like to bring along. If it is WIS v.s. World, obviously, we also will have no trouble fielding a 10 man team.

As far as the Chicago locale - there is this bar that I have played Tecmo at, that I'm in love with. It's an Irish pub, that has about a dozen 40+ inch TVs, with about 8 Nintendo's in the joint. The bartender, who seemed to be straight off the boat from Ireland, claimed they've held alof of different tournaments there, including Blades of Steel, and the original Tecmo Bowl. I think this would be a perfect place to hold our tournament. I would say of no more than like 30-40 players though.

So if everyone who is interested could respond, and also include an email, along with region/city, that will give us a real good idea as to how to go about this! Real excited about the 2nd annual Ryder Cup! :wink:

O'Dell

You could also do a three region set up. Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan from the North region, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio from the Central region, and everyone south/east of Ohio in the South East region. There could be a rotating venue each year for the tournament and a traveling team trophy.

I think it would be cool to have more than just "WIS vs WORLD".

I'd agree. But we have 5-6 man teams from both Madison and Milwaukee. Can another region (besides Madison, Milwaukee, and/or Illinois) really field a 5-6 man team? If so, I am all for it. Having a World team, however, avoids the "I live in a Tecmo-less region" problem.

Ohio could pull a team alone... I think Indiana and Illinois would be able to do a team. Then the remaining could be a rest of the country.

I have my doubts about this. Maybe if the Vogts and Ahake were willing to make the trip. Perhaps I'm underestimating interest in this thing. Lets wait and see who else is interested.

I am just throwing names out there without their knowledge of this.

North: 10 people

Central: odell, psycho, flo, bigmv, lillefty, cvogt, ahake, dcsmooth, elkart dan, ryanfulcher 33, and any others who are interested

South East: daboy, bgboud2, mort, mort's bro, gats, toph (he's from PA, but may live or going to college in chicago now), ... and any others who are interested

I am just throwing names out there without their knowledge of this.

North: 10 people

Central: odell, psycho, flo, bigmv, lillefty, cvogt, ahake, dcsmooth, elkart dan, ryanfulcher 33, and any others who are interested

South East: daboy, bgboud2, mort, mort's bro, gats, toph (he's from PA, but may live or going to college in chicago now), ... and any others who are interested

Yeah, ryanfulcher33 is milwaukee, and toph is chicago :wink:

We could go any different ways here.

If we were to do a regional 8+ man teams, Madison and Milwaukee could be divided, or throw Milwaukee in one of the other regions to create an 8+ man team.

Hey, that's my birthday (23rd).

I'm interested - but need to work out the logistic$.

....Knobbe interested in working something out?

edit: is this only for CHI/WI people?

I'll have to let you know.

If this is the same weekend as a home Huskers game, then the answer is already no 8)

I am somewhat interested, I want to make it to one of these things eventually, I will have to check though...

Got an idea, instead of trying to do regions etc why not create two "Ryder Cup Captains" and have them choose people?

You could even have shirts for each team. It maybe a little corny, but what the hell.

I feel fairly confident that we could get Mort and his brother down here (not sure which region), but when I told them we were talking about hosting something in Chicago (it wasn't necessarily going to be the Ryder Cup, just any tournament at all), Mort was definitely interested.

Also, this bar O'Dell is talking about is awesome. We should be able to convince them to let us do this as they've apparently hosted large Tecmo Bowl and Blades of Steel tournaments in the past.

Who is down for some Tecmo action @ that bar tonight (thurs)? Flo, Toph, dcsmooth ... The place is called Galway Bay - 500 W Diversey, Chicago. I know it's kinda last minute notice, but I just found out it's my only evening off this week. Or we could just rock it out at my house for a few hours. You know how to get a hold of me. But if anyone in CHI is down, let me know! tecmodell42 on aim.

I am interested in a Chicago event. I don't know of many other players from Michigan, but I'd be willing to join up with some other states. Would there only be two teams, or could there be more? Also, does a doubles match involve two separate games, or players switching off at halftime of a single game?

Would there only be two teams, or could there be more?

We could do more than two teams if we get that many players. For instance, we could have four teams with the winning teams squaring off for the Championship. I doubt, however, that we will get that many players.

Also, does a doubles match involve two separate games, or players switching off at halftime of a single game?

A Doubles Match is just one game. We had three doubles sessions last year, each of which featured a different format:

(1) Strictly offense/defense. For instance, two guys from Madison taking on two guys from Milwaukee in a single game. One guy from Madison plays all defense while his partner plays all offense. Same goes for the Milwaukee guys;

(2) 2 Quarters Per Man: Each guy on the Madison squad plays 2 quarters. Same goes for the Milwaukee guys;

(3) Red Zones: One of the Madison guys plays both offense and defense in what we deemed the "red zone" (i.e. inside the 25 yard line). The other Madison guy controls all plays (both offense and defense) outside the "red zone." Same goes for the Milwaukee guys.

These are subject to change, and ideas are encouraged. Matt, would your buddy (Nick) be interested? My memory is that he was a pretty solid player as well.