2nd Annual Tecmo Ryder Cup

holzy11

It is looking like Wisconsin v.s. The World might be the best way to go. Also, I heard someone mentioned that this MAY be in Chicago. I think the only way I could make this one is if it is infact in Chicago. Like I mentioned to you Chet, I have like a dozen college buddies in town that weekend for the MSU game at Northwestern. It's already going to be difficult telling them, I'm not going to the game because I'm going to a tecmo tournament in the city, compared to leaving the state to go to a tecmo tournament. I atleast have to hang w/them, and play host in some way for the weekend. So I'm really pulling for this to be in Chicago! Maybe I will check into the logistics of this tonight with the bar - and get back to yah.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is looking like Wisconsin v.s. The World might be the best way to go. Also, I heard someone mentioned that this MAY be in Chicago. I think the only way I could make this one is if it is infact in Chicago. Like I mentioned to you Chet, I have like a dozen college buddies in town that weekend for the MSU game at Northwestern. It's already going to be difficult telling them, I'm not going to the game because I'm going to a tecmo tournament in the city, compared to leaving the state to go to a tecmo tournament. I atleast have to hang w/them, and play host in some way for the weekend. So I'm really pulling for this to be in Chicago! Maybe I will check into the logistics of this tonight with the bar - and get back to yah.

Just wait until you get married.

It is looking like Wisconsin v.s. The World might be the best way to go. Also, I heard someone mentioned that this MAY be in Chicago. I think the only way I could make this one is if it is infact in Chicago. Like I mentioned to you Chet, I have like a dozen college buddies in town that weekend for the MSU game at Northwestern.

Yeah, I'm aware of this O'dell, and we want to hold the event in Chicago. But right now, the World team desperately needs some leadership. The lack of Tecmo pride from Minnesota and Ohio is embarrassing. Where are the Vogts and Ahake, who last year quipped that "513 will be there next year?" And Ed/Sconnie, what kind of regional champion (Minnesota) doesn't even show up to defend its crown? Pathetic. Mort, where art thou?

In all seriousness, we're going to need definitive "yays" or "nays" from those on the fence in the near future. Without firm commitments from Rod, Buck, and Toolie, there's little reason to haul a bunch of Wisconsin guys to Chicago when we can simply do it at the Plaza in Madison.

It is looking like Wisconsin v.s. The World might be the best way to go. Also, I heard someone mentioned that this MAY be in Chicago. I think the only way I could make this one is if it is infact in Chicago. Like I mentioned to you Chet, I have like a dozen college buddies in town that weekend for the MSU game at Northwestern.

Yeah, I'm aware of this O'dell, and we want to hold the event in Chicago. But right now, the World team desperately needs some leadership. The lack of Tecmo pride from Minnesota and Ohio is embarrassing. Where are the Vogts and Ahake, who last year quipped that "513 will be there next year?" And Ed/Sconnie, what kind of regional champion (Minnesota) doesn't even show up to defend its crown? Pathetic. Mort, where art thou?

In all seriousness, we're going to need definitive "yays" or "nays" from those on the fence in the near future. Without firm commitments from Rod, Buck, and Toolie, there's little reason to haul a bunch of Wisconsin guys to Chicago when we can simply do it at the Plaza in Madison.

Noted. As was your point too knobbe. hahaa

Let's work on these guys then. Hopefully within the coming days/weeks, we'll have a real good idea of where we are headed.

i'm interested. team is a question. team buffalo has 2 members. but lou and i had planned to jump ship to the team from the old country (southern Ohio).

Sorry to disappoint Mort, but Ohio isn't gonna make it. You'll have to join arms with the more prideful states. We'd like to finalize details for this by September 10. Therefore, by September 10, we need definitive answers from the following persons regarding whether they will attend an October 23, 2010 event in Chicago: Rod, Buck, Toolie, Slim_Jimmy, Mort, Louis, dcsmooth5z, and Tecmopyscho. I am assuming the Chicago-based guys (Flo, O'Dell, RunLikeLonnie, AllAmerican) are a guarantee if this is in Chicago. Once we have a definitive list of non-Wisconsin participants, we can go about forming a Wisconsin squad or squads.

Seems like right now, we have 22 people, with the liklihood of 2 people bowing out a possibility, getting us to our 20. If infact we have 22 or more, we could do it a different way, but here is my thought for now:

TEAM WISCONSIN: 10

Josh

Chet

Rickster

Peter

James

Orenga

Rico (ryan33fulcher)

Kevin Miller

Bailey

Jimmy B?

TEAM WORLD: 12

Flo

O'Dell

Run Like Lonnie

AllAmerican

Ryan K

Tecmopsycho

dcsmooth5z

Matt O'Toole ("toolie")

Mort

Louis B.

Buck

Rod Woodson

Additional thoughts:

NORTH TEAM (north and/or west of Chicago): this team would move Nebraskans' Buck, and Knobbe essentially to TEAM WISCONSIN.

SOUTH TEAM (south and/or east of chicago. northeast in mort/lou's case). This would put 10 on SOUTH TEAM, and overpopulate TEAM NORTH to 12.

Should have a official location locked up by the end of next week, 09/03/10.

I'm in no matter the location.

I think the more teams the better. I'd rather break it up into four teams of four, than have two teams of eight.

If there are only two teams, one team could be mathematically eliminated with quite a few games left. Minnesota clinched last year with a couple of 'meaningless' games left.

We could do east, west, north, south divisions or something like that.

But let's wait until after Sept 10th to figure that out.

I asked a couple of my buddies who went with to the Madison tournament if they would want to participate. I could probably get one or two of them to play. I'll get back with a definitive answer later.

I would interested in flying in from Dallas to make a weekend out of this as flights are only ~$200 direct to Chicago.. put me down as a maybe for now, if it's in downtown or off a train line I don't think it would be a problem. Also not sure if it's been noted but the Bears play the Redskins that weekend in Chicago.

I would interested in flying in from Dallas to make a weekend out of this as flights are only ~$200 direct to Chicago.. put me down as a maybe for now, if it's in downtown or off a train line I don't think it would be a problem.

Would welcome you Jeid and i'm sure we could find you a team. It looks like the bar is in Lincoln Park, north of downtown (500 W. Diversey Parkway). I can't imagine public transportation would pose much of a problem.

I'd consider going to Chicago if I had a ride from NYC.

Talk to Mort. Not sure if he'd drive or fly. Also, I've emailed a guy (Stratis) that drove from NYC to Madison for the March tourney. He may be willing to make the commute again. If I hear from him, I'll let you know.

Holzy, you may not get all of Ohio, but I was chatting with Matt, and he sounded interested.

Chris is going to speak with his brothers and get back to me in the next couple of days. Would be nice to get the Vogts there.

The Ryder Cup is off. In its place, the 1st Annual Chicago Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!! RunLikeLonnie, in conjuction with Galway Bay Irish Pub, will be taking the reigns on running this tournament. The date will remain the same: October 23, 2010. RunLikeLonnie will provide further details on registration in a separate post and thread.

With Galway Bay hoping to recruit lots of local talent, the Ryder Cup format simply became unworkable. That is not, however, a bad thing. A tournament in as large a metropolitan area as Chicago is long overdue and great for Tecmoers everywhere. RunLikeLonnie, thanks for taking the lead on this and good luck. Please let Josh or I know if you need anything. Long live Tecmo!

Still would be cool to maybe sometime in the future to do a team thing. Everyone I have talked to says the same.

got another idea for the team thing if it's ever brought back. each team should rank their guys before they go so good plays good and suck plays suck. would make it more fun if we tried to make the games close.

The Ryder Cup is off. In its place, the 1st Annual Chicago Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!! RunLikeLonnie, in conjuction with Galway Bay Irish Pub, will be taking the reigns on running this tournament. The date will remain the same: October 23, 2010. RunLikeLonnie will provide further details on registration in a separate post and thread.

With Galway Bay hoping to recruit lots of local talent, the Ryder Cup format simply became unworkable. That is not, however, a bad thing. A tournament in as large a metropolitan area as Chicago is long overdue and great for Tecmoers everywhere. RunLikeLonnie, thanks for taking the lead on this and good luck. Please let Josh or I know if you need anything. Long live Tecmo!

You guys could still do one with just milwaukee/madison but this is pretty cool.

Hey all, as holzy mentioned the 2nd Annual Tecmo Ryder Cup is unfortunately no more. Chicago however, will now be playing host to a single player, round robin, world cup group style tourney!

Tournament will be held Saturday, October 23, 2010. Galway Bay is the name of the place, 500 W. Diversey Pkwy, Chicago. Mor details to come!

Signup: [email protected]

When we get a list of players, I could sort them out into what teams they would have been, then set odds, and do some side bets.

I mean, what's funner than Tecmo, beer, and gambling?

I would explain any loss I incurred as "tanking due to gambling purposes"

Very interested in coming to this, and I might be able to get a friend or two to come along as well. Will there be a site that has an updated list of participants and slots available? I can't commit yet, but I don't want to get left out in the cold.