TSB Team Rankings - Offense & Defense

I want to have a debate and make our own Top28 for both Offense and Defense on TSB. Let's do this subjectively for Overall which would cover the combined rankings for both MAN and COM games. I got these subjective ratings from the TSB Guide written by Paul Schulzetenberg a.k.a. Mosi Tatupu. I figured it would be a good starting list. Post the teams you would change moving them up or down in offense and/or defense.

Offense-Subjective

1. San Francisco 49ers

2. Houston Oilers

3. Buffalo Bills

4. New York Giants

5. Miami Dolphins

6. Los Angeles Raiders

7. Chicago Bears

8. Philadelphia Eagles

9. Denver Broncos

10. Los Angeles Rams

11. Detroit Lions

12. New York Jets

13. Cincinnati Bengals

14. Kansas City Chiefs

15. Atlanta Falcons

16. Washington Redskins

17. Dallas Cowboys

18. Minnesota Vikings

19. New Orleans Saints

20. San Diego Chargers

21. Seattle Seahawks

22. Cleveland Browns

23. Phoenix Cardinals

24. Green Bay Packers

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

26. Indianapolis Colts

27. Pittsburgh Steelers

28. New England Patriots

Defense-Subjective

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

2. New York Giants

3. Chicago Bears

4. Philadelphia Eagles

5. Buffalo Bills

6. Kansas City Chiefs

7. San Francisco 49ers

8. Los Angeles Raiders

9. Minnesota Vikings

10. New York Jets

11. Washington Redskins

12. Denver Broncos

13. Cincinnati Bengals

14. Miami Dolphins

15. Dallas Cowboys

16. New Orleans Saints

17. Houston Oilers

18. Cleveland Browns

19. Green Bay Packers

20. Los Angeles Rams

21. San Diego Chargers

22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

23. Detroit Lions

24. Atlanta Falcons

25. Phoenix Cardinals

26. New England Patriots

27. Seattle Seahawks

28. Indianapolis Colts

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Bowl iphone!] mobile.png

The one problem I have is that often times 10 is just as good as 5. I am going to tier them instead

Offense-Subjective

Tier 1 (Ultra-unstoppable)

San Francisco 49ers (ridiculous passing game)

Buffalo Bills (Great passing game with great running game)

Tier2 (damn near unstoppable)

Houston Oilers (ridiculous passing game+44ms 19bc white just barely drags them down below SF/BUF level)

Philly (Qb eagles and thats all you need. A first down machine)

Los Angeles Raiders (Bo +fast WR's)

Tier 2 (still pretty crazy)

Los Angelas Rams (JJ away to ellard and flipper oh and you have a bunch of rb's to play conditions with)

New York Giants ( A lesser version of buffalo)

Detroit Lions (Barry+peete scrambles)

Denver Broncos (Humphrey plus elways scrambles and rocket arm)

Tier 3 (You should still score almost every time)

Bengals (Another balanced team but a notch down from the Giants version

Dolphins (Marino and the Marx's brothers. Run game is slightly challenged)

Chiefs (DEberg to PAige. THe OL + Okoye make the run game above average)

Chargers (Butts+ tolliver. Use tolliver to hit the open men)

Tier 4 (Average but enough to get the job done in tecmo)

Bucs (You could move this team up a notch due to vinyy but the OL is the only one bad enough on the rom to actually matter)

Cowboys (Emitt plus pretty poor passing game

Bears (Neal and Bailey. Run run run and pass with caution. 3rd worst passing team unless you stick neal/bailey in at WR.

Falcons (Pretty average thanks to Miller's crappy skills)

PAckers (Majik to sharpe. Majik scrambles.

Cleveland (Browns to Slaughter. Running game is challenged

Was (6ms Rypien to Clark and Monk bombs with average RB)

MIN (Wilson to AC and pals with Hershey squirt)

Tier 5 (Getting to be offensively challenged slightly)

Jets (Average QB. Play conditions with 44ms RB's. Average to crappy WR's

Saints (Hillard plus sub par passing game

Cardinals (Johhny plus sub par passing game due to rosy's low ps. His 19ms helps a bit)

Tier 6 (You have to work harder to keep the chains moving)

Seahawks (Piss poor run game with crappy Wr'. Kreigs moon balls are the only thing that makes this offense go)

Indy (The WR's and multifacte bentley give this offense just enough of a pulse)

Tier 7 ( You may actually get stopped by something other than a fumble or INT or lucky playcalling)

PIT (Very tough if you fall behind with this team. Worst passing game on the rom coupled with shitball 38ms RB's but at least they have 891BC. LOL)

NE (With grogan in they are just beyond bad. With Wilson in the passing game goes from horrendous to just bad.Running game is REALLY BAD with 31ms backs)

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Defense

Tier 1 (The best of the best)

BEARS (Hands down the overall best secondary in the game for preventing CC's. Only knock is that they are a bit slow but you also have singletary to force pressure

STEELERS ( Lots of speed plus Rodgod at the DB 1 position. Only bad thing is no one has overwhelmingly high int ratings)

Tier 2 (Just a slight notch below)

Giants (The LB's are beastly but not in great tecmo positions Well at least LT. Secondary is above average with Walls and friends.

San Francisco ( You could make an argument for putting the niners in tier 1. The best safety tandem plus haley at the crucial LB4 spot that snuffs most runs)

Houston (San Francisco light. Not as much verstaility in the secondary but Johnson is better all around than Lott or Waymer. Childress at LB 4 spot)

Tier 3 ( You can stope some plays)

Vikings (Browner is awesome at the SS spot but their other good players aren't in the best spots. Still lots of overall talent

Chargers (Byrd matches browner but in a worse spot. However you get seale on the top and can use Oneal in a pinch even though he is at the LB 1 spot)

Tier 4 (Weak links somewhere or no stars)

Bucs (Haddix best overall DB at the top Cb spot. Robinson at SS is Okay to use if somone tries to direct all their runs at haddix. No useable LB's which can be annoying

vs good running squads.

Redskins (super fast GReen at top CB but 44int is not great. Mayhew at bottom CB but no LB's. THe Chargers without LB's essentially.

Bengals (Beastly fulcher at SS can popcorn Wr's for run 3. Francis is at top LB making his usability low. )

Dolphins (Above average safety pair with 31int offerdahl at the LB 3 spot)

Jets (Byrd is at an ok LB2 spot. Clifton at LB3. Would be better if they were switched around. McMillan is a good option in the secondary with 63int)

Tier 5 (Decidedly average)

Cardinals (Young and Mcdonald. Redskins lite with no LB's

Eagles( Eagles corners are decently fast but only 50int. Jerome Brown and Joyner)

Tier 6 (Some options but overall fairly weak usually in the secondary)

Lions (Jets lite with White, Cofer and Spielman)

Cheifs (Eagles lite. THomas is great but at the LB 1 spot (easy to run at) Corners have good int 50/56 but are slow 31 38 50. Snow is a good lb 3 with 31int to boot.)

Raiders( Anderson at SS plus fast but weak INT corners. No LB's though.DL could matter vs a few teams)

Dallas (Faster corners than the Raiders plus one marginally useable LB at the LB 2 spot

Rams (Green at the LB 4 spot and 56int at SS makes this defense a little better than you would think)

Tier7 ( At least one player to use)

Buffalo (Bruce can bust in. Bennet at LB4. Int in secondary is pretty weak but a few useable guys to choose from

Broncos (Fletcher and Meck. Atwater 31int and Smith

Falcons (Deon at the top Cb spot with decent INT around him. But everyone else on the defense is slow as dirt)

Patriots (Hurst and Lippet. If you can use agnew the defense gets better. No LB's. Might downgrade them since Lippet is in the CB 2 spot)

Tier8 (You might stop some plays form time to time if the other person sucks)

Saints ( 3-4 just barely above turd status defenders. Masey at CB 2 is your best bet

Cleveland (Johnson and minnfield. Not exactly great. Turds all around them

Tier 9 (you won't be stopping much of anything)

Packers (Tim Harris at the bad LB 1 spot plus turds. Bonus points if you can use Bob Nelson)

Seahawks (Harper at the bottom CB spot plus turds. Also 31 38 50 25int glsgow at SS. LOL)

Tier 10 (May the tecmo luck be with you)

Indy ( A great big heaping pile of shit. YOUR BEST defender is PRIOR with his whoopin 25 rs 31rp 38ms 44int statline.)

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

I want to have a debate and make our own Top28 for both Offense and Defense on TSB. Let's do this subjectively for Overall which would cover the combined rankings for both MAN and COM games. I got these subjective ratings from the TSB Guide written by Paul Schulzetenberg a.k.a. Mosi Tatupu. I figured it would be a good starting list. Post the teams you would change moving them up or down in offense and/or defense.

Offense-Subjective

1. San Francisco 49ers

2. Houston Oilers

3. Buffalo Bills

4. New York Giants

5. Miami Dolphins

6. Los Angeles Raiders

7. Chicago Bears

8. Philadelphia Eagles

9. Denver Broncos

10. Los Angeles Rams

11. Detroit Lions

12. New York Jets (The jets at 12 IS INSANE)

13. Cincinnati Bengals

14. Kansas City Chiefs

15. Atlanta Falcons

16. Washington Redskins

17. Dallas Cowboys

18. Minnesota Vikings

19. New Orleans Saints

20. San Diego Chargers (SD at 20 with BUtts??? below the Saints?)

21. Seattle Seahawks

22. Cleveland Browns

23. Phoenix Cardinals

24. Green Bay Packers

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

26. Indianapolis Colts

27. Pittsburgh Steelers

28. New England Patriots

Defense-Subjective (These Make no sense to me other than the top 3 teams and bottom 3 teams. Everything in between is a mess)

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

2. New York Giants

3. Chicago Bears

4. Philadelphia Eagle

5. Buffalo Bills

6. Kansas City Chiefs

7. San Francisco 49ers

8. Los Angeles Raiders

9. Minnesota Vikings

10. New York Jets

11. Washington Redskins

12. Denver Broncos (Secondary pretty much blows move down)

13. Cincinnati Bengals

14. Miami Dolphins

15. Dallas Cowboys

16. New Orleans Saints

17. Houston Oilers

18. Cleveland Browns

19. Green Bay Packers

21. San Diego Chargers

22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

23. Detroit Lions

24. Atlanta Falcons

25. Phoenix Cardinals

26. New England Patriots

27. Seattle Seahawks

28. Indianapolis Colts

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Bowl iphone!] mobile.png

umm.. what brudd said. lol.

i used to use DL a lot before i found this board, so I would like to add that Jacob Green is a good DL on the Seahawks, the Raiders have the best DL in the game with Long and Townsend and another 69hp guy at NT, William Perry, Gerald Williams and Jerry Ball are the next best NTs after Bob Nelson, and Reggie White is about the same as Long.

My favorite LB spot against the CPU is LB2. You almost always have a clear shot to the QB. Not as effective against MAN because the other guy can just scramble or chuck it somewhere. But the best LB2s are Dennis Byrd and Keith Millard.

I know bruddog knocked it out of the park with his answering my question but how do 79 people view this thread and no other offer any reply?!

Come on people - give me something!

What I don't understand is how you can be fatcheerleader, but have a picture of a skinny cheerleader in your avatar. What's the deal?

It's been a while since I've played the original game let alone with a team other than New England. From what I remember....

Offense (in no particular order):

SF - Montana to Rice is unstoppable.

PHI - QB Eagles

RAI - great run game with Bo & Allen

BUF - great all around team

HOU - great passing attack.

Defense (no particular order):

NYG - loved using LT

CHI - great all around D with INT kings.

SF - Waymer & Lott

PIT/CIN/MIN/TB - Woodson/Fulcher/Browner/Haddix

Best overall team:

NE - Staurovsky holds them back, but other than that, they dominate!

I just found this post and wow, it's awesome. I noticed Bruddog was talking about the LB2 and LB3 spots with the Jets and how he thinks it would be better if Byrd and Clifton were switched. Could someone explain that a little more in-depth? I hardly ever use the inside LBs except in some passing situations. Also, out of the LB spots, I use LB1 most often. Guess that shows what I know.

I just found this post and wow, it's awesome.

Thanks but I don't know if it's awesome yet. I'm always just trying to feul some TSB conversations. 8)

Best overall team: NE - Staurovsky holds them back, but other than that, they dominate!

No doubt. I have won the Super Bowl with all 28 teams on the game in MAN mode but still have never won the Super Bowl with the Pats in COA mode. I've owned the game since it released. It's really pathetic. F'n Bills. I think it's a curse to punish me for my Cowboys bitching them in those wonderful Super BowlS.

What I don't understand is how you can be fatcheerleader, but have a picture of a skinny cheerleader in your avatar. What's the deal?

Easy, just because I am a fat cheerleader does not automatically imply I prefer the look of fat cheerleaders. Plus, if you look closely, she's winking at YOU!

• 2 months later...
I bet you're factoring in 'ball control' aren't you? well, might as well throw that one out for 1st order approximations. Are you factoring in "Quickness" or "Pass Accuracy"??? If so, don't - because they don't matter. Another thing, don't overrate HP. Because it really only matters if you can popcorn or flatten with it. And finally, in TSB, one bad-ass defender can make up for a team of dipshits.

I think for offense rankings - start with the RB (high MS?) and/or QB (high PC? or MS? or PS?) then go on to WRs (high MS? high REC?), then OL (HP only). then overall team HP if you still wanna go that far.

For defense, look at RS/RP and INT, then HP (I think 3 notches of def HP = flatten offense?) Again, if there is a STUD on defense, you gotta give that defense advantage over a team of average (but yet accumulate your so-called "total points") defenders. Throw out that "total team points" bullshit.

I started this thread with the idea of making Subjective Rankings (MAN/COM games) for both Offense and Defense of the Original TSB. I'm thinking now it should just be for MAN games. I'm going to take a look at the numbers again and I'll post what I come up with later.

I can't and won't argue against bruddog's big post - looks like he hit the nail on the head. So Fats, I think you should just find a way to rank the "tiers" that he came up with, then you'd have a complete list.

I started this thread with the idea of making Subjective Rankings (MAN/COM games) for both Offense and Defense of the Original TSB. I'm thinking now it should just be for MAN games. I'm going to take a look at the numbers again and I'll post what I come up with later.

I am more of a LB guy when it comes to Tecmo so I can only really comment on LB's and obvious secondaries like the Cinn and TB. With that being said, here is my 2 cents on the D rankings.

I like the Eagles D alot with the front 7, secondary is a little weak for sure but you can do a lot of damage with Brown to the point that the WR's don't have enough time to be a factor. I also like using the Jets with Byrd and the Saints with the dome patrol. I think Mia D is way too high in the rankings. I think TB's D should be ranked alot higher just for Crack Haddix alone.

In terms of O, I like a balanced attack for sure. Most of the top teams in O make sense but I think CHi is ranked a little too high because their passing game sucks and I would bring TB up because Anderson is underrated and Carrier is a good WR. I also like Cobb's popcorn ability and Hall is a great TE in the game. There are some teams I would bring up a couple notches like Pitt, SD, GB and CLE and I would drop the Jets down quite a bit as well as DEN, MIA and DAL

Offense-Subjective

1. San Francisco 49ers

2. Houston Oilers

3. Buffalo Bills

4. New York Giants

5. Miami Dolphins

6. Los Angeles Raiders

7. Chicago Bears

8. Philadelphia Eagles

9. Denver Broncos

10. Los Angeles Rams

11. Detroit Lions

13. Cincinnati Bengals

14. Kansas City Chiefs

15. Atlanta Falcons

16. Washington Redskins

17. Dallas Cowboys

18. Minnesota Vikings

19. New Orleans Saints

21. Seattle Seahawks

22. Cleveland Browns

23. Phoenix Cardinals

24. Green Bay Packers

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

26. Indianapolis Colts

27. Pittsburgh Steelers

28. New England Patriots

Defense-Subjective (These Make no sense to me other than the top 3 teams and bottom 3 teams. Everything in between is a mess)

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

2. New York Giants

3. Chicago Bears

4. Philadelphia Eagle

5. Buffalo Bills

6. Kansas City Chiefs

7. San Francisco 49ers

8. Los Angeles Raiders

9. Minnesota Vikings

10. New York Jets

11. Washington Redskins

13. Cincinnati Bengals

14. Miami Dolphins

15. Dallas Cowboys

16. New Orleans Saints

17. Houston Oilers

18. Cleveland Browns

19. Green Bay Packers

21. San Diego Chargers

22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

23. Detroit Lions

24. Atlanta Falcons

25. Phoenix Cardinals

26. New England Patriots

27. Seattle Seahawks

28. Indianapolis Colts

I like the Eagles D alot with the front 7, secondary is a little weak for sure but you can do a lot of damage with Brown to the point that the WR's don't have enough time to be a factor.

• 2 weeks later...

I never see what the others see in the teams on the game. Probably cause i use/used a different cart? Or had/have different strategies? Or different playcalling? Whatever the case, my rankings always look different.

Offensively: 49ers, Oilers, Giants, Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, Raiders, Bears, Bengals, Lions, Chargers, Eagles, Redskins, Buccaneers, Falcons, Broncos, Saints, Vikings, Rams, Browns, Jets, Cardinals, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, Seahawks, Patriots, Colts.

Defensively: Giants, Bears, 49ers, Chiefs, Bengals, Dolphins, Bills, Raiders, Steelers, Eagles, Redskins, Buccaneers, Lions, Chargers, Oilers, Cardinals, Falcons, Vikings, Saints, Jets, Browns, Packers, Broncos, Rams, Cowboys, Seahawks, Patriots, Colts.

• 4 years later...

I am more of a LB guy when it comes to Tecmo so I can only really comment on LB's and obvious secondaries like the Cinn and TB. With that being said, here is my 2 cents on the D rankings.

I like the Eagles D alot with the front 7, secondary is a little weak for sure but you can do a lot of damage with Brown to the point that the WR's don't have enough time to be a factor. I also like using the Jets with Byrd and the Saints with the dome patrol. I think Mia D is way too high in the rankings. I think TB's D should be ranked alot higher just for Crack Haddix alone.

In terms of O, I like a balanced attack for sure. Most of the top teams in O make sense but I think CHi is ranked a little too high because their passing game sucks and I would bring TB up because Anderson is underrated and Carrier is a good WR. I also like Cobb's popcorn ability and Hall is a great TE in the game. There are some teams I would bring up a couple notches like Pitt, SD, GB and CLE and I would drop the Jets down quite a bit as well as DEN, MIA and DAL

Offense-Subjective

1. San Francisco 49ers

2. Houston Oilers

3. Buffalo Bills

4. New York Giants

5. Miami Dolphins

6. Los Angeles Raiders

7. Chicago Bears

8. Philadelphia Eagles

9. Denver Broncos

10. Los Angeles Rams

11. Detroit Lions

13. Cincinnati Bengals

14. Kansas City Chiefs

15. Atlanta Falcons

16. Washington Redskins

17. Dallas Cowboys

18. Minnesota Vikings

19. New Orleans Saints

21. Seattle Seahawks

22. Cleveland Browns

23. Phoenix Cardinals

24. Green Bay Packers

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

26. Indianapolis Colts

27. Pittsburgh Steelers

28. New England Patriots

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

2. New York Giants

3. Chicago Bears

4. Philadelphia Eagle

5. Buffalo Bills

6. Kansas City Chiefs

7. San Francisco 49ers

8. Los Angeles Raiders

9. Minnesota Vikings

10. New York Jets

11. Washington Redskins

13. Cincinnati Bengals

14. Miami Dolphins

15. Dallas Cowboys

16. New Orleans Saints

17. Houston Oilers

18. Cleveland Browns

19. Green Bay Packers

21. San Diego Chargers

22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

23. Detroit Lions

24. Atlanta Falcons

25. Phoenix Cardinals

26. New England Patriots

27. Seattle Seahawks

28. Indianapolis Colts

I like the Eagles D alot with the front 7, secondary is a little weak for sure but you can do a lot of damage with Brown to the point that the WR's don't have enough time to be a factor.agree

agree totally! eagles front is beast and leaves no time to throw.