Kickoffs

Warrenmoonbomb

If anybody besides Brad cares I took the time to find out who's replaced by the kicker on the kickoff, at least for a 3-4 team. Basically I made everybody black on the defense except one guy, took an intentional safety on the opening kickoff vs the CPU, kicked off and than checked on defense I made the right guy white. First off he was right about the defense being the coverage squad. The top guy is the RE, one man down is the NT, LE, etc until you get to the Bottom Safety. The man left out is the Top Inside Linebacker, usually not that good besides Seattle and Denver.

I plan to test a few more boring stuff like this, the 4-3 kickoff comes to mind.

Keep up the documenting. Mysteries about this game need solving. Specifically what the special ability does for QB elway is the only one different with 3 as his special ability. Also I read something about max speed not showing much difference on defense ni have to test these when I get home.

Also

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

As I suspected, the left Tackle is the defender left out in a 4-3 team's kickoffs. The player you start out on defense is the top guy, and the next guy is whoever you select if you press the A button once, The Middle Linebacker for 4-3 teams, NT for 3-4. The guy who's left out is the 5th player you can select on defense, LT in 4-3, Top Inside Linebacker in the 3-4.

Since you've been asking about MS, I thought about how the computer LT is a lot faster than no name players. I decided to make 2 dbs on the same team to have 1 MS, and 99 MS, and to rate them both 7 and 2 for their RP and RS. When I played them myself they felt exactly the same, but when the comp controlled them one was a maniac and the other a super slug. I think the MS might be a set number when a human controls a player, and the value we see in Tecmo Bowl Manager only applies to the comp when it comes to the defense. It was easiest to see this on kick-off returns, against or playing the test team.

I think that the Maximum speed for all human controlled players might be the same, its just that its hard to notice because the stars accelerate so fast that the RS and RP creates the illusion that they are faster overall as well. I've noticed in the past while playing that you can always catch up to Bo while being a minimum talent guy, but its nearly imposable for a computer to

Interesting. So start speed and accel are most important for defense. Cool. I'm sure this can get confirmed.

Now we need the qb special ability. Wonder if that's another CPU thing. I've heard it could be QB scrambling frequency but I've never tested.

Interesting. So start speed and accel are most important for defense. Cool. I'm sure this can get confirmed.

Now we need the qb special ability. Wonder if that's another CPU thing. I've heard it could be QB scrambling frequency but I've never tested.

Yeah, I'm thinking its either that or maybe some type of comp qb decisiveness/intelligence. It could also be some type of "clutch" thing but I think that's pretty unlikely.

Just wanna say that MS alone doesn't really help the comp defenders as much as you would think. Really if you give the whole team 9 RP and 0 RS and 50 MS it only gives them epic kickoff coverage and it stops super long runs or passes sometimes(tested this). So it does partially help the scrubs, and the pretty good guys who you wouldn't ordinarily play as that much(Carter at NT, Bosworth) would become really good as comp defenders. If used correctly MS could influence players not to pick a certain defender if you wanted to do that for some reason. HP are like this too, because I don't really think that they help man that much, if at all, and they help prevent getting popcorned by strong defenders

As I suspected, the left Tackle is the defender left out in a 4-3 team's kickoffs. The player you start out on defense is the top guy, and the next guy is whoever you select if you press the A button once, The Middle Linebacker for 4-3 teams, NT for 3-4. The guy who's left out is the 5th player you can select on defense, LT in 4-3, Top Inside Linebacker in the 3-4.

AWESOME!

Assuming you mean the bottom NT...which would be McMichael for the Bears who is a beast. But with Dent, Singletary, and Duerson in the mix, it's still a salty kick coverage unit. Skins and Cowboys have no one of importance at that position.

Seattle and Denver losing Fredd and Mecklenberg on coverage is a decidedly huge blow. I'll have to check my spreadsheets to see which teams have had the most kick return TD's and big KR's(past the 50) dropped on. I do know that the few times a guy took it to the house twice in a game that it was against a real crappy defense.

Initial and acceleration are huge for defense. With all the juking we do, its key to be able to regain speed. We've found a few guys that have lack lustre speed overall, but great initial or acceleration attributes play key roles.

Nothing to back it up with, but it seems that Elway runs more than any other QB when playing the CPU.

HP are like this too, because I don't really think that they help man that much, if at all, and they help prevent getting popcorned by strong defenders

Based on the attributes from the Japan version and how Charles Mann(who had pretty elite HP) could shut down Dallas' Moose Johnston run plays much better than anyone else....we determined that hitting power very likely plays a role in how quickly you can shed/toss a blocker.

Just theory, but my buddy and I agreed that Charles Mann was way more disruptive vs Dallas than anyone else. Some tinkering with the HP attributes in a test on a DE and the O-Lineman would probably give some solid evidence on this being true.

Pretty sure HP is only used for Man vs. CPU or CPU vs. CPU

By HP you mean hitting power? This is also used in Man vs. Man. Mack and Bo can both make popcorn against the human defender if he has a weak HP defender and doesn't keep pressing A while in the grapple. It's rare, but it happens. Walker can do it as well.

I find it absolutely amazing the length at which you guys will go to break down the inner workings of this game. Crazy how a simple NES game can be so in depth and most people playing really have no clue. Keep up the good work guys. I've been playing this game for almost 20 years and I still learn something new everyday! :wink:

since you guys are on a maniacal tear...anyone know if its possible to change the opening kickoff so it randomly chooses either side, instead of always being player 1. Maybe something similar to the OT coin flip.

I was thinking of a similar thing, does TB have a COA mode? Not at a computer, but replacing COA vs COM with COM vs PLAYER where you play an away game would be one solution. I was gonna look into this once I'm done with my edit. Glad to hear others thought about it too. I like COA mode, but I would like the option of switching sides. When playing seasons, it seems awkward to me kicking to the left side starting off. League and on-line players would prolly love this.