Project 84...Tecmo Mega Game

I'm officially announcing my retirement from the SNES TSB3 rom. We've found another rom, and after just 2 days, I've knocked out a list of finds that took us 2 years to find on the SNES TSB3 rom!! We will work the Coach K game for a while, then it's on to the new rom. If we can do what we think we can, 32 teams won't be a NES exclusive. I'm excited, and when we figure out exactly what we think we can do, I may enlist some help from others. Big plans fellas, big plans... Later peeps!

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

uh....what?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm officially announcing my retirement from the SNES TSB3 rom. We've found another rom, and after just 2 days, I've knocked out a list of finds that took us 2 years to find on the SNES TSB3 rom!! We will work the Coach K game for a while, then it's on to the new rom. If we can do what we think we can, 32 teams won't be a NES exclusive. I'm excited, and when we figure out exactly what we think we can do, I may enlist some help from others. Big plans fellas, big plans... Later peeps!

uh....what?

What else is there? Tecmo is the only football game. :roll:

don't worry, it's still in the tecmo universe, he's not going to the darkside(EA). we have a plan, and it is a big one though. we may fail, but it won't be without effort.

So your saying it's Tecmo Super Bowl 1 for SNES?

Actually, TSB II has approximately 3 seasons worth of teams implemented over three years. Why the heck didn't I think of that to tell you two years ago?

Also, TSB II is tits...most people just don't know.

don't worry, it's still in the tecmo universe, he's not going to the darkside(EA). we have a plan, and it is a big one though. we may fail, but it won't be without effort.

So your saying it's Tecmo Super Bowl 1 for SNES?

Actually, TSB II has approximately 3 seasons worth of teams implemented over three years. Why the heck didn't I think of that to tell you two years ago?

Also, TSB II is tits...most people just don't know.

Yes sir!! We are just taking a quick look. Gonna do so R/D and see what's possible. 84 teams right now!! If we can expand that that's a bonus. Have Big plans, just one glitch right now, need a Gens program to decompress some graphics. Any and all help is going to be welcomed!! This could be a major breakthrough in the TSB gaming. I've been playing the rom, and it is 10x better than the SNES counterpart. Besides some graphics, its completely different, better, on the gens. Plays more like the TSB1 for the SNES. Keep an eye out for it, its gonna be grand!!

Yes sir!! We are just taking a quick look. Gonna do so R/D and see what's possible. 84 teams right now!! If we can expand that that's a bonus. Have Big plans, just one glitch right now, need a Gens program to decompress some graphics. Any and all help is going to be welcomed!! This could be a major breakthrough in the TSB gaming. I've been playing the rom, and it is 10x better than the SNES counterpart. Besides some graphics, its completely different, better, on the gens. Plays more like the TSB1 for the SNES. Keep an eye out for it, its gonna be grand!!

Are you talking about the Gens version of TSB II? While I find that the TSB I version actually plays better in GENS, I find that II and III play much better in SNES. That's just one man's opinion though.

Are you talking about the Gens version of TSB II? While I find that the TSB I version actually plays better in GENS, I find that II and III play much better in SNES. That's just one man's opinion though.

I was thinking the same thing, but I've changed my mind since. The Gens has about 30 yards a view compared to the SNES which has a little over 20 yards of view. The Gens plays slower, but with the sliders, that's fixable. Really diggin' TSB3 for the Gens. Maybe after 2 years of playing 1 rom has caused a burnout, but I'm excited about the possibilities for these games. May stalk the NHL sites to see what they did to add graphics. The helmets and small helmets seem to be compressed. But still making huge finds in a short amount of time.

I was thinking the same thing, but I've changed my mind since. The Gens has about 30 yards a view compared to the SNES which has a little over 20 yards of view. The Gens plays slower, but with the sliders, that's fixable. Really diggin' TSB3 for the Gens. Maybe after 2 years of playing 1 rom has caused a burnout, but I'm excited about the possibilities for these games. May stalk the NHL sites to see what they did to add graphics. The helmets and small helmets seem to be compressed. But still making huge finds in a short amount of time.

I'll have to try next week after my tournament. I know a big gripe was the AI but perhaps you guys can fix that as well....stuff like fumbling after calling the over the top and lying on the ground.

Couple of things.

1, you know I'm on board to write an editor.

2, this may just be me, but I'd prefer that the player models don't change so drastically like they did on your NCAA ROM. While cool, I'd prefer more if you made those models look more like the gens/snes TSB1 models.

3. if this ROM could look more like TSB1, play similar to TSB1 maybe with a little faster speed (closer to NES), you'd really have my attention.

4. Find some of the more excellent hacks (ability to change fumble probability, HP hack, etc) if possible.

5. Maybe find a way to remove some of the weird jumping and spinning that the players automatically do. I never liked that on the later versions of the game.

I still say that Tecmo Super Bowl 1 for the Genesis console was the best done game of all the Tecmo Super Bowl's ever made, just seemed like it was more challenging and the gameplay seemed smoother. The thing that always bothered me on TSB 2 was the awful music they threw on that game. After listening to the music on that game you understand why they went with the gentle, yet odd crowd noise in TSB3.

Actually, after giving this game a shot, I'd say don't even change the player models, except for maybe the ability for some teams to have custom stripes or something. I've never tried this one before, but it definitely trumps all the other TSB2/3 I've tried. I could see this thing be a helluva lot of fun with some updated rosters.

I'm sold. Sign me up for writing an editor.

I think graphic editing the Genesis roms are harder. I've dabbled a tad bit with the NHL roms myself. I'll have to get the rom and check out the graphics. :roll:

The only problem so far is that Gens compresses some of its graphics, the mini helmets, backgrounds and the big helmets/logos are not visible in my tile editor. I might be wrong on the compression stuff, researched a lil. May not be true. But I have player animations, play art, and team name plates are visible. Any help with graphics is welcomed.

For SNES, if you view the graphics in gameboy mode, you can see the compressed graphics for team city names...

I took it into tile molester and tried different codecs, didn't see anything with a couple of different types, but will look into it deeper this weekend.

To be clear, we are talking TSB2 for Gensis. the pointer system on the genesis is 10000000% better than the SNES reverse add/don't add be in the right block pointers. The only draw back is some graphics, but i am looking into those for DH. I had initial difficulty on the gensis Coahc K ROM, but eventually figured the tile thing out. Will see if they are compressed or just jacked up on each and every starting point. One thing is the graphics on the Gensis are more detailed as the gen was a better graphical hardware system, and could hold more colrs and tiles per playscreen. that will make this very fun, plus we think it used compressed movies and sound, and maybe there is a way to import sound and movies into the areas that fit the times. We'll see. Coach K on my radar, as soon as i figure out how to use AIM:)

Here's where we're at: A Gens emulator with a debugger, and a graphics compressor/decompressor. A tracer, and a dream in our hearts... Still trying to figure out some things, but we're sure we can make things happen on this rom.

I'll keep this updated when we make progress, anyone who knows any Gens hacking tips feel free to help out. Thanks.