Project 84...Tecmo Mega Game

So just doing a little research, it seems from what I can tell, that TSB2 for the Gens has the 2pt conversion coding already coded! It has the same 2pt conversion graphics used in Gens TSB3, and looking thru some pointers, it seems to be there, just can't figure out how to switch it on. I have found lots of stuff, but haven't edited anything yet. Just researching locations. Will go back and try to figure out what its doing and see what we can do.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Rod & TecmoTurd!

Well looking deeper into the 2point conversion stuff is going to take someone with better understanding of assembly than I have right now. I may lurk some of the Gens boards and see if I can get some help there. The pointer to the string that pulls the 2point graphics is pointed to 6 times in both TSB2 and TSB3 gens roms. The strings they are in are similar, but slightly different. I know jstout is a Nintendo guy so I'm not going to bother him with this, but if this game is to be legit, I think the 2point would do that even without adding teams. So hopefully I can get some help from the Sonic guys, or even the NHL guys.

I am going to collect as much data on what I find to narrow someone search. This rom is growing on me, and I hope we can add it.

Here's some other things I think are going on in TSB2, It seems the game loads the 1992 season teams (Colors/logos/Team name stuff) and then writes over the teams with changes in the 1993 (Patriots jersey/logos/helmet) and the 1994 (Phoenix becomes Arizona and repeats the NE changes) I may not be exact on that, but I tinkered with some things and that what I believe is happening. Good news if we can figure out how its writing over teams, can create 84 teams with individual looks and names.

Here's what's already separate on teams:

1) Players from each year.

2) Attributes

3) Team styles(Buf can be 3-4 in '92, 4-3 in '93, and back to 3-4 in '94. Offense is the same ProT in '92, Single back in '93, and Shotgun in '94)

4) All teams have separate playbooks for each year, meaning '92 Buf can have a playbook with 1111 1111 2222 2222 plays, '93 Buf 3333 3333 4444 4444 plays, '94 Buf 5555 5555 6666 6666 plays.

I have found the attribute sliders, off formations, def formations, defenses that go with each play, ball height, schedules, the team name plate graphics (size and which tiles to use are all figured out) Stadium layout (can add players to the sidelines if we want)

What's still missing:

1) How teams that change thru the 92-94 season are given their changes

2) 2point conversion

3) Big Helmet Graphics (appears that the logos are drawn on the helmet, not separate like on the SNES version)**i found where the helmet is mapped, just can't find where its pulling the graphics from. Think the graphics are compressed.

4) Mini helmet graphics and US Map locations

5) How the play art is mapped.

6) Home/away colors. TSB2 has the system that a team can wear white/dark or white/white or dark/white or dark/dark versus a team. I know how to find this if its like the other versions that do this, though it appears it does something different when you play '94 Det vs '92 NE (both wear dark) than when its '94 Det vs '94 NE (Det wears white NE dark).

7) Oh yeah, 32 team format is missing!! But that's a given for all except NES TB and TSB fans!

I'm going to continue to plug away when I can, I'll post more as I find things out. If I can get the 2point conversion added, I'll post the rom asap. Here's to good hunting, I'm outtie...

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

god bless and i will grant you all wonderful success on this project. i have been waiting for years for someone to make genesis tsb editors of one if not all the 3 tsb games. if i have any knowledge about coding and hacking the roms i would gladly help you all out as well. numerous hours of the day when and if i could.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken a week off from hexing, and prolly will take another couple of weeks off all together. I have a lot going on right now, but I will definately get back to this. I'm excited to see cxrom is back. May pick his brain about what all was done to add teams to the NES version. See if that will help give us a spotlight on what to look for.

As for the 2 point conversion coding in TSB II Gens version, I'm thinking that I need to find where the game runs the extra point coding. I'll take a look at TSB III and see what it's doing there. That's if I can figure out what I'm looking at.

This brings me to a question, when looking for something like that, what would be more useful when using a debugger, tracing the program, or using the dis-assembly of the rom? My theory is that the game was coded with the 2 point conversion, but because it also contains seasons that did not use it, they repointed the game to skip the feature altogether. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is true. Like I stated earlier, it seems to have all the same coding as far as graphics (which I found) and some of the coding. But I'm not good at the assembly part of roms by any means, so I'm hoping for help in that area.

My goals for the next couple of months are: 1) seperate the remaining parts from teams to create 84 completely seperate teams. (It's actually quite genius, you see you'd only be able to have 28 teams loaded in any given season, but in preseason games you can play any team against each other.)

2) add the 2 point conversion

3) get an editor created, if only for team colors, names (this would have to be done after the teams are separated).

4) find out where the big helmet and mini helmet graphics are compressed ( I can blank out the helmets, but only because I know where they are mapped. I also know the location in RAM that the graphics are being decompressed and stored, just can't figure out the location they are being compressed to in the rom).

5) figure out the US map and logo placements.

There is a lot of work that needs to be done with this game, and if I am to continue trying to edit this version, I will need to find at least one of those 5 things to make me want to continue here in the next couple months. I am always game to just go back to TSB3 for the SNES if this becomes too big of project.

So, please, if any one can help, even in the smallest way, me and Hurricane55 welcome it. We are not looking for partners (though if one were to want to join in, we'd gladly accept) for a game, just help with certain parts. Our goal is not to make a game just yet, but create a base rom for future games. This means we are not looking to do rosters/ratings (we are going to create blank names and each name will have the same amount of space) nor are we going to do graphics (We have some graphics mapping located, in which we will just make a generic logo as a place holder). We are looking for people to help locate and tinker with coding that pertains to the 5 things that we are trying to hack. After that, adding teams would be our next goal.

• 1 month later...

As some people know, I was going thru some finance problems a while back, which caused me to look for new employment. I got a great job, went back into an office enviroment. The only down side to having consistant work, is that I now don't have days off to work the roms. So for now I am slowly looking at hex, and I am going to shoot a PM to jstout and cxrom for some help. The Mega Rom may be too much work right now, but I'm looking to add more to our SNES TSB3 rom. May have a way to have players react differently based after their free agent value. This was something me and my brother tinkered with, just never went any where with it. But the more I think about it, the more I want to add this. Holla at cha boy sometime!!

As some people know, I was going thru some finance problems a while back, which caused me to look for new employment. I got a great job, went back into an office enviroment. The only down side to having consistant work, is that I now don't have days off to work the roms.

In the long run, it's probably better for you and us if you are employed :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think in a couple of weeks, i might start researching again. just got done with a month of partying for my best friends wedding. We are talking partying for the shower, the reheasal, the bachelor party, the wedding reception, and then a 4 day after party in Vegas. I need recovery and detoxing, then i can refocus.

• 5 months later...