Project 84...Tecmo Mega Game

I have a couple of months left with my TSB3 project, but its never too early to get the ball rolling. This would be a joint effort for all who want to see 32 teams make it to the SNES. I personally want TSB3 first but I took a look see at TSB1 and I kind of have a crush on it. And I know its waaaaaay more popular with the peeps here. I want to start getting the brains of this site together and knock this out. I have seen many posts of peeps trying to get things like this going with limited results. I'm not looking for testers or people starting out, even thou I don't really consider myself even in the top 10 of hackers here. But within the last year I have taken huge steps in learning the trade. We would need a head guy to organize this, and I'm not that guy. But I'm very good at finding and understanding hex. So I am throwing my hat into the mix. This is just the opening act, so hopefully we get some good characters to join the show. Someone once said we should just work together and not bartend our info. This is our chance to do that. There should be enough talent here to make this happen. Jstout, Brudog, Maynard, Me, Hurricane55, TemcoTurd, Elway, Xplozv, Cxrom (if he's still around) are definately on the guest list.I may have left some peeps off, just pulling names I can remember. So let's party it up... All those in favor say I!!

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I.

Although I'm more of a "gimme the hex locations and I'll make something cool like a website, extractor, or editor" kind of guy. I don't have the assembly programming skills, although honestly, I think my biggest challenge isn't the language, as much as it is understanding the debugger...my comfort level is not what I'd say equal with my comfort level debugging C# or whatever...

I have a couple of months left with my TSB3 project, but its never too early to get the ball rolling. This would be a joint effort for all who want to see 32 teams make it to the SNES. I personally want TSB3 first but I took a look see at TSB1 and I kind of have a crush on it. And I know its waaaaaay more popular with the peeps here. I want to start getting the brains of this site together and knock this out. I have seen many posts of peeps trying to get things like this going with limited results. I'm not looking for testers or people starting out, even thou I don't really consider myself even in the top 10 of hackers here. But within the last year I have taken huge steps in learning the trade. We would need a head guy to organize this, and I'm not that guy. But I'm very good at finding and understanding hex. So I am throwing my hat into the mix. This is just the opening act, so hopefully we get some good characters to join the show. Someone once said we should just work together and not bartend our info. This is our chance to do that. There should be enough talent here to make this happen. Jstout, Brudog, Maynard, Me, Hurricane55, TemcoTurd, Elway, Xplosive, Cxrom (if he's still around) are definately on the guest list.I may have left some peeps off, just pulling names I can remember. So let's party it up... All those in favor say I!!

http://www.defence-force.org/computing/oric/coding/annexe_2/index.htm

From what i can find, the NES and SNES are fairly similar when it comes to coding.

Thus, I would think that using the same tactics on the TSB SNES as were used on NES should be possible. Another strategy would be to see how the 30 team and 28 team SNES I and III games differ.

I remember CX saying that running out of room was more of an issue for the SNES. Still, the engine is a lot the same, even though it's a slightly different programming language.

If this gets going, I'll code up that editor I've always been wanting to code for the SNES version...

So the memory space is needed for stats I suppose? What could be taken out to free up space? I think I read the Hut, Hut, Hut, was taken out the NES rom. Would music be a option? What about Menus or graphics? Would deleting background graphics help? Also isn't there a way that you can expand memory in a SNES rom? When we started out I think I saw something about that. Or would that not be possible? Oh yeah, what about names? Shortening names to just first initial last name, would that free up space? And deleteing probowl teams. Its not really needed for leagues and things. Its just extra stuff that I would be able to live without. That could be 2 teams right there, even though they share color. Palettes and pull players off teams.

• 4 weeks later...
I remember CX saying that running out of room was more of an issue for the SNES.
Oh yeah, what about names? Shortening names to just first initial last name, would that free up space? And deleteing probowl teams.

Unlike the nes version, the snes version seems to be shrink-wrapped for everything to fit in. The offense & defense pointers and commands are just one after another with no space in between. Would rom expansion help a project like this? Maybe cxrom or jstout could answer that question. I found a neat little snes utility and expanded the original TSB1 rom from 1.5MB to 4.0MB. It is attached below.

TSB Expanded.zip

Xplozv good looking out, I bet that's the program that I remembered from when we first started out. I believe someone used it for a rom then hacked it. So hopefully this is a step in the right direction. Does the rom work on the emulator Xplozv? Or does the checksum need fixin' first?

Well, I'll pass this on just in case this be put to use if we can all come up with something. It expands roms up to 4.0MB, add and remove headers, apply format & create IPS patches, can insert some ASM stuff, works with making custom snes colors. This is what I used to expand it.

The rom works in Zsnes 1.42. This is the only emulator I have tested this on. It says checksum failed, but it still works without a hitch.

SNEStuff v1.2.zip

Cool stuff, I have to finish up my NCAA rom, but this 32 team thing will be my filler when I need to take a break from coding. When I'm done with my rom though, this is my only goal. Its only a matter of time before we make this a reality...

Hey Tecmo, Do you know who could do a special graphics editor. Me and DH have pretty much been recoding the TSB3 hack into a more universal lay-out(like i did for Coach K). You know, giving every team the same amount of space for each graphic ingame(endzones, Helmet logo, and other stuff. I know yo9u dabbled in the colors on coach k, but i may have set up a special endzone layout that fits all teams. Just checking, and i haven't forgot about the juice fo TB, just really crazy at work, on top of that trying to find a new place to live by end of the month, and a new GF, and oh yeah, hacking the S**t out of TSB3. PS, this pertains to this topic in that if we do go to a 32 team format, we felt that everything should be more universal, making futre hack easier.

• 2 months later...

I'm still working on this stuff, just been super busy as of late. I am publicly asking for help with plays for the NCAA rom as of now. I have writers block and its just not moving along as fast as it should. So I'm asking Xplosiv, El Rey, Max98, TecmoTurd, WarrenMoon, fatcheerleader, and Johnny LaRue for help on the NCAA rom and seeing if they want to be in Project Mayhem? This would be a joint effort, and not "MY" team. All ideas will be passed along and agreed or disagreed with in the same way me and Hurricane55 do. We both have come up with ideas that have not gone into the game. So this would become "OUR" team. Xplosiv has play and other gameplay knowledge that we could use, 4Play has made a 32 team rom, fatcheerleader has roms and play time under his belt, both El Rey and Max98 are always good with feedback, and Johnny LaRue is getting Hex XP and has opinions different than mine, which is good not bad. I've believe that working together has what made our rom come along the way it has. BTW, we think we have 31 teams for TSB3 already. Will work out the details and limits this weekend. So please, if the people listed are interested, I have a spreadsheet with all you'll need to help us finish "our" rom, and get started on the NFL 32 team project.

Thanks,

Honkey Vanish!!!

I haven't spent much time looking at the SNES TSB games so I don't know too much about their workings. After reading this topic for the first time today, a quick look at TSB I shows that it is using just a fraction of the available Save RAM x2000 out of x8000 so the extra stats shouldn't be a problem and the rom is using x180000 out of x200000 marked by the game. SNES rom expansion is extremely easy and you'd be able to double the game in size (to x400000 bytes of ROM).

TSB III is using just half the rom space but has all the Save Ram marked as being used. I don't know anything about the save ram format for this version so I don't know how much free space is available to be used or not for extra teams.

So please, if the people listed are interested, I have a spreadsheet with all you'll need to help us finish "our" rom, and get started on the NFL 32 team project.

I am refreshed :D and ready to go. I'm glad to help with whatever I can do. I have a lot of plays floating around in my head.

I haven't spent much time looking at the SNES TSB games so I don't know too much about their workings. After reading this topic for the first time today, a quick look at TSB I shows that it is using just a fraction of the available Save RAM x2000 out of x8000 so the extra stats shouldn't be a problem and the rom is using x180000 out of x200000 marked by the game. SNES rom expansion is extremely easy and you'd be able to double the game in size (to x400000 bytes of ROM).

TSB III is using just half the rom space but has all the Save Ram marked as being used. I don't know anything about the save ram format for this version so I don't know how much free space is available to be used or not for extra teams.

Is it possible to control what stats are kept? We can live without certain stats if it helps get 32 teams? I'm going to compair TSB2 to TSB3 and see if it helps find the things were lacking. TSB2 was sort of a beta for TSB3, and they share many same looks. I assume that when teams were added that codes will be similar with slight differences. Those differences hopefully will help with the cause. If we get rid of the probowl teams and maybe FA help? I guess what I'm asking is if stats are the only thing using the ram that limits what can be done? Is there anything else that can be removed to open it up? I'll look into what ever to open some up. We've mapped a quite a it of code, some of which is minor, but in the hopes of opening space may prove useful if removed.