2010 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stay in new port KY... you'll have a lot more fun if your staying for more than just the one day.(down town cinci blows) plus i would imagine the hotel situation being better there.. maybe a little longer commute to the tournament, but not too bad

Staying across the river nightlife and hotel arrangements are the best thing to do. That is if you're planning on getting drunk at the tournament. Then I'd advise you to stay near Fairfield. But New Port, KY., is a great spot to stay if you're willing to drive the half hour to and from the tourney.

At least you pulled out. :D Sometimes that always doesn't work.

Thanks for the note. I'm sorry, but what is your name again?

Hey guys, i have to pull out for this weekend. family issues. Please remove me from the list.

Maximum spots (64)

Confirmed participants (43):

Pool A

Aaron Hake

Corey Kleinhenz (coreyudsl)

Matt Lorenz

Dan Kolbenslag

Pool B

Matt Vogt

Jonny Bailey

Josh Kettlehake

Ryan McKay

Pool C

Erik Merliss

tecmomig

James DeGregorio (lilairport)

Nick Vogt

Pool D

Kevin (Tadaos)

Louis Buennagel

Quang Lam

Toph Enany (PoolratToph)

Pool E

Jimmy Vogt

David Chalmers (DCSMOOTH5z)

Dan Conway

Steven Johnson

Pool F

Bgboud

Ian Fernandes (Redskinsfan1124)

Jason Olszko

Matt Miller

Pool G

Tony Orenga

Jon Jones (daboy)

Tom Bridgemon

Rick Reyes

Pool H

Chet Holzbauer

Derek Ruble

Jimmy Davidson

Mark Adams

Pool I

Chris Vogt

Junior Fernandes (Chiefsjr83)

DeAndre Washington

Jake Henson

Pool J

Josh Holzbauer

Dan (berniebomb)

Gary Miller

John Bohlen

Pool K

Frank Buennagel

Harley David Griffith

Zach Kreke

(Add walk-in)

Here are the pools. Subject to change at tournament due to drop-outs and walk-ins:

Maximum spots (64)

Confirmed participants (43):

Pool A

Aaron Hake

Corey Kleinhenz (coreyudsl)

Matt Lorenz

Dan Kolbenslag

Pool B

Matt Vogt

Jonny Bailey

Josh Kettlehake

Ryan McKay

Pool C

Erik Merliss

tecmomig

James DeGregorio (lilairport)

Nick Vogt

Pool D

Kevin (Tadaos)

Louis Buennagel

Quang Lam

Toph Enany (PoolratToph)

Pool E

Jimmy Vogt

David Chalmers (DCSMOOTH5z)

Dan Conway

Steven Johnson

Pool F

Bgboud

Ian Fernandes (Redskinsfan1124)

Jason Olszko

Matt Miller

Pool G

Tony Orenga

Jon Jones (daboy)

Tom Bridgemon

Rick Reyes

Pool H

Chet Holzbauer

Derek Ruble

Jimmy Davidson

Mark Adams

Pool I

Chris Vogt

Junior Fernandes (Chiefsjr83)

DeAndre Washington

Jake Henson

Pool J

Josh Holzbauer

Dan (berniebomb)

Gary Miller

John Bohlen

Pool K

Frank Buennagel

Harley David Griffith

Zach Kreke

(Add walk-in)

Pursuant to Rod’s request, here’s my best shot at a tournament summary. There were about 32 guys, so Chris split everyone into eight groups of four for a round-robin. Point differential in group play was used to seed the 32-man single elimination bracket.

Group Play

There were a couple notable games in group play. Bailey played Matt Vogt in one of the first games of the tournament. Bailey won the toss, called the matchup (Wash-Minn), and Matt took Washington. I watched the majority of this game, and to me, the difference was Bailey calling more plays. Nice game fellas. Josh and Daboy were also in the same group. Good Chargers-Bucs game. Absolutely horrendous quarterbacking from both Vinny and the Pickle. Both Daboy and Josh were really frustrated, as completing 5 yard passes was no easy task. Josh ends up winning a close one. Tony O. (Madison) and Lillefty were also in the same group. They played a classic Atl-Phx matchup in which Tony took Atlanta. Too much Bad Moon in this one. He routinely blew by the Cards defenders for huge gains.

Several guys went 3-0 in group play: Josh (3rd place at Madison tourney), Chet (runner-up in Ohio last year), Bailey (from WI), AHake, Tony (avgtsbplayer), and Tadaos. Each of the Vogts ended up dropping a group play game, as did Madison champ Mort. Following group play, the top 6 seeds were Ahake, Josh, Tadaos, Chet, Tony, and Bailey.

Sweet 16

From what I recall, there weren’t many notable games in the Round of 32. Things heated up, however, in the Sweet 16. In what may have been the best game of the tournament, Mort came from 10 down with the Steelers in the 4th to beat dcsmooth5z (Chargers). Everyone was watching this game because it was perceived as a potential bracket buster. Trailing by 3 late in the 4th and facing 4th and 13 somewhere around midfield, Mort called right-A and picked up a first down. He eventually worked his way into field goal range and the game went into OT. Mort eventually pulled it out in OT. Another notable game in the Sweet 16 was Chris Vogt v. Tony, a contest that went into OT. Upon winning the toss, Chris drove down field and missed a FG. Two players later, however, Tony fumbled and Chris recovered (I think Chris fumbled earlier). Chris then made a FG to advance to the Elite 8. Well-played game even though I cannot remember the teams. Lillefty defeated AHake in the Sweet 16. I think it was a Bears-Cincy game. In a northeastern clash, Mort handled Tadaos.

Elite 8

The Elite 8 consequently looked like this: Chet v. Chris Vogt, Daboy v. Lillefty, Josh v. Matt Vogt, and Bailey v. Mort. No real surprises in the Elite 8 cast of characters. I think everyone expected to be there. Chris and I did a Jets-Cowboys matchup. I called the matchup and Chris chose the Jets. Emmitt Smith was in good condition from the 2nd quarter on and the Jets drone defense really never showed up. Daboy defeated Lillefty, but because I was playing Chris, I didn’t see what teams were utilized. Mort and Bailey did Rams-Dolphins. Mort won the toss, called the matchup, and Bailey selected the Danobots. On 4th and 13 early in the 1st quarter, Bailey elected to go for it. The Madison guys knew exactly where Bailey was going. Enter Jim Jensen. Tortoise-like Jensen somehow got a step on the top corner and Dan delivered a perfect pass. Bailey finished the drive with a TD. Not a lot of stops in this one by either team. This game went into OT, Bailey received, and Sammy Smith promptly fumbled. Jensen, however, was there to save the day again. He recovered the fumble and then caught a pass on the next play to put the Phins in FG range. Bailey, from midfield, elected to kick a FG at that point. Stoyanovich has that range and Bailey nailed it. Tough exit for Mort who played well.

Josh won the toss against Matt and called Jets-Steelers. Matt took the Jets. Not a lot of offense in this game, as expected. Late in the 1st half, Matt fumbled a punt and the Steelers “housed” it. Things evened out, however, when Matt, under heavy pressure from approximately midfield, inadvertently threw to Toon in coverage. Diving at the back of the end zone, Toon reeled it in for a TD and provided the Jets with the lead. With approximately 4 minutes left in the 4th, Matt kicked to Josh clinging to a 3 point lead. The Steelers drove the length of the field for a TD and burned essentially all of the clock. Very impressive Steeler drive, one aided by a good-conditioned Warren Williams. Tough loss for the defending champ.

Final 4

The Final 4 was set: Chet v. Daboy, Josh v. Bailey. Daboy and I played first. I called Wash-Minn and he took Minnesota. Mark Rypien was pretty substandard in this one. On the opening drive, an uncovered Ricky Sanders dropped a sure TD (Daboy was “autodived”) at the 10 yard line and Wash settled for a FG. Not much else happened in the 1st half. Behind some methodical offense, Daboy punched one in the endzone and I tacked on a FG. Daboy led 7-6 at the half. With the Redskins driving in the 3rd quarter, Rypien threw a Jim Harbaugh-esque pass directly into the hands of Joey Browner. Minn drives downfield behind some short passes and solid running and takes a 14-6 lead near the end of the 3rd quarter. Wash receives and on either 3rd or 4th down, Minn blitzes with Millard. On pass three, Rypien hits Gary Clark streaking past Carl Lee. A few plays later, Byner runs one in to make it 14-13. With just over 3 mins left, Minn takes over on offense. On 1st down, I blitzed with Mayhew and sacked Wade Wilson. On 2nd down, Wade Wilson was “sniped” by a Wash linebacker. Where did he come from? On 3rd down, I called Daboy’s play and sacked him. Minn punts back to Wash. After the punt, Wash has the ball at their own 15 yard line with just over a minute left. A few solid runs from Byner put Wash into Lohmiller’s range (he’s reliable from midfield according to the magic spreadsheet). Lohmiller drills a game-winning FG from Minn’s 47-48 to win it. Great game. This one could have gone either way.

The other semifinal was Josh v. Bailey. Bailey won the toss and called Packers-Browns. This one was just a garbagefest. For example, Josh opened the game with an onside to take away the Browns “bomb offense.” Bailey promptly ran backwards with the onside to get Sergeant in his “comfort zone.” Two plays later, Sergeant reels in a bomb to give the Browns a 7-0 lead. That is how the entire game went, so I’ll spare everyone the details. At some point in the 2nd quarter, someone (perhaps Mort) asked “are these guys doing nothing but JJ’ing.” Answer: Yes. I’ve seen this exact game in my apt many times. Josh ends up kicking a FG with Jacke as time expires for a 24-21 win. Woodside was the difference.

Josh and I played in the championship for the second consecutive tournament. It’s really no fun for either of us. He won the toss and called Bills-Giants. Josh and I have played thousands of times, and these days, I’m holding a slight edge. We are presently in the midst of another regular season whereby we are playing every single game. We are somewhere in Week 7 right now, and I’m presently holding a 52-36 edge (approximately 59% win pct). With Bills-Giants, however, it’s usually a coin-flip. That’s why he called that matchup. I received the opening kickoff and took a 7-0 lead. The game was essentially over when the Giants “safetied” QB Bills on the next possession. It also helped that the Giants D was totally juiced in this one. Giants end up taking the Championship, 37-14.

Final Results

In sum, this was another exciting and well-run tournament. It was nice to get the title this year after my runner-up finish last year. If you have not been to one of these live tournaments, I would strongly encourage attending. They are just too fun to miss. It’s also interesting to see the different styles of play between the online players and console players. Thanks again, Chris, for putting on another excellent tournament. Hope to see you in Wisconsin next March for the 7th Madison Tecmo Tournament.

1st Place: Chet Holzbauer

2nd Place: Josh Holzbauer

T-3rd Place: Daboy & Jonathan Bailey

Pursuant to Rod’s request, here’s my best shot at a tournament summary. There were about 32 guys, so Chris split everyone into eight groups of four for a round-robin. Point differential in group play was used to seed the 32-man single elimination bracket.

Top shelf as always and congrats on the win.

I also went 3-0 in group play, jerk. :wink:

From time to time, we forget that you're only 0.5 garbage and don't give you your full credit of respect Tony. But that's why you stand alone.

Great tournament, great recap (which I was a small part of in my own post-drinking, post-golf, hungover way), and a great pic on the front of the site now.

Sweet 16

From what I recall, there weren’t many notable games in the Round of 32. Things heated up, however, in the Sweet 16. In what may have been the best game of the tournament, Mort came from 10 down with the Steelers (other guy was Chargers, I believe) in the 4th to beat an unknown local guy (maybe Matt M?). Everyone was watching this game because it was perceived as a potential bracket buster. Trailing by 3 late in the 4th and facing 4th and 13 somewhere around midfield, Mort called right-A and picked up a first down. He eventually worked his way into field goal range and the game went into OT. Mort eventually pulled it out in OT."

Im not a local!!!!!!!

Im not a local!!!!!!!

Sorry dcsmooth5z. I made the change.

Get your act together Holzbauer! First Tony gets a slight in the recap, then this? Personally, I think Rod should ban and delete you for not being perfect in your posts.