2010 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

2010 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

When: Saturday, July 31, 2010; 11:30 a.m. registration; Noon start time.

Where: Symmes Tavern on the Green, 500 Wessel Drive, Fairfield, Ohio, 45014

Who: Anyone who loves to play Tecmo Super Bowl

Maximum participants: 64

Buy-in: $15 (buffet, non-alcoholic drinks, room fee and tournament fee)

Prizes: First Place - 2009 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament trophy and cash; Second Place – Trophy and cash; Third Place - Cash; Fourth Place – Cash

Tournament format:

After pool play is finished, the top two players from each group will advance to a single elimination tournament. If players are tied record-wise in their group concluding pool play, point differential will go into effect.

Game play:

Coin flip.

Coin flip winner chooses whether to defer or pick the team matchup.

Depending on what the flip winner does, the flip loser chooses which team he/she wants in that matchup or will be able to choose the matchup if winner deferred.

Teams and sides will be chosen at this point, all depending on what the coin flip winner's initial decision following the flip. You will not be able to play in a match-up that has the same teams twice.

9 Simple Tournament Rules:

1. Have Fun!

2. No throwing equipment or intentionally damaging equipment. Doing so will result in a forfeit from the tournament.

3. No looking at opponent’s controller or eye movement when picking plays.

4. If equipment fails during the game, games will be replayed from the start unless it is halftime. After halftime, scores are taken from the first half and another half is played. Scores from each half are added together to form final score. Kickoffs are as they should have been if malfuntioned game had played through.

5. NO lurching (dive tackling over the line of scrimmage with a DL). DL is allowed, but you must either drop back into coverage or go outside the offensive tackle to rush.

6. Onsides kicks are OK anytime (aka, “at your own risk”).

7. Fourth man down (ROLB) is allowed for use on XPs, not FGs. Also, no WR and TE at RB.

8. Playbook changes are allowed.

9. Discuss on whether the two opponents before the game starts if they would like to see in-game coin toss or not. It is random, so it doesn't matter. I, myself, prefer to see the actual toss. So discuss it amongst yourselves. I would advise if the toss is witnessed. But that's not my call. Talk to each other.

**If both parties agree to forego any of rules 5 through 9 before a game, then it’s acceptable.**

Equipment information:

Bring any consoles, cartridges, adaptors and controllers you can get your hands on. Those who live closer will supply the TVs.

Hotels:

Holiday Inn Express

6755 Fairfield Business Center Dr.

Fairfield, Ohio

Extended Stay America

9651 Seward Road

Fairfield, Ohio

Flight information:

The airport closest to Fairfield, Ohio is the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport located in Covington, Ky. It has rental car access.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

updated? Whats updated?

The first post, sir. I added the additional participants who entered, and I also updated the game play regulations. You reminded me of Jim Mora when you said, "Updated? What's updated?" Please keep an eye on the initial post.

Thanks.

- Commish Chris

Nice on a new tournament. I think it'd be of real help to people were the organizers of the event to setup some kind of expense report for the typical attendee, so people who have never participated have a better understanding of what they can expect to spend in helping them experience this most-awesome tournament.

But the estimates are going to be hugely different. It's like asking me to plan a vacation for you without knowing what you like.

Travel:

Flying from somewhere far: $300+

Driving from Ohio: a few bucks in gas

Lodging

Holiday inn express Hotel:90-100

Motel 6: $50

Sleeping in your car: $0

Food/Entertainment

Drink like a fish and make it rain on strippers: $100+

I'll have have a water: $0

Not like I can afford or have the time to go to this one as a weird foreign person I would like to know when traveling the following:

- average cost of hotel near the area of the tournament. As most places will rip you off then I tell a local the price and they laugh and say I was ripped off... 8)

- Is it in a safe part of town or should I not be roaming the streets at night?

- How much for food? And what food is mostly served there?

- What is the sales tax there?

- Any local laws I should know? (no smoking inside bars, can I drink beer on the street...etc?)

But like I said I can't make this one but hope to make the Madison one next year.

A lot of this stuff can be found by researching it on Google. The Greater Cincinnati area is rated as one of the best places in Ohio. This is the third year of the tournament, and I can say that everyone who participated in the past would give a thumbs up regarding the area, pricing on everything and the tournament in general.

- Average cost for a hotel varies. But I listed the two best hotels in the area. You may want to call the hotels themselves. For everyone's benefit, I'll list phone numbers.

- It is a very safe area.

- Everyone has to try Skyline Chili when they come from out of the state. There's just about every kind of food available. The pricing is great. Average meal at a restaurant for one person is about $10. Fast food, I'd like to think that everyone knows those rates. Symmes Tavern, where the tournament is located, has great food and deals.

- Sales tax in Fairfield is 6.5-percent.

- Ohio is a smoke-free state. But there are some bars that allow it just because they know most of their business comes from smokers. That's their choice, and they could get fined. There is a great patio area at Symmes Tavern for those who'd like to smoke and enjoy an alcoholic beverage.

Not like I can afford or have the time to go to this one as a weird foreign person I would like to know when traveling the following:

- average cost of hotel near the area of the tournament. As most places will rip you off then I tell a local the price and they laugh and say I was ripped off... 8)

- Is it in a safe part of town or should I not be roaming the streets at night?

- How much for food? And what food is mostly served there?

- What is the sales tax there?

- Any local laws I should know? (no smoking inside bars, can I drink beer on the street...etc?)

But like I said I can't make this one but hope to make the Madison one next year.

A lot of this stuff can be found by researching it on Google.

I appreciate that sentiment, but if the effort is to expand, than you have to start servicing outright. I totally don't mean to sound like a douche by saying that; I am a full supporter of what you guys (tournament creators) are doing. I think it's awesome. I'm not entirely familiar with how this tournament has been setup before or where it's been held previously, but if there was any kind of regularity with a venue chosen by you guys, I don't see why you couldn't start working annual discounts and added benefit packages by the hotels / event venues where you're at. But, perhaps, this isn't as such a big idea as all of that.

The Philli Tourney's Web site was a pretty good notion, too.

In the end, some of these recently-added points coming since I asked my very general question is the kind of cultural, financial, and nebulous 'Ohio information' that people can really benefit by specifically not having to research themselves. 8) I'm sure there is plenty more where this came from--Google Map directions from various highways of the country, etc., etc. (For them to potentially feel more empowered to participate.)

There's only so much that I can provide for this tournament. And don't worry, if it makes you feel better, there are bigger "douches" out there than you. We like to make things simple. Give me call if you really want me to help you out with planning your trip if you're wanting to come. I'll work around my schedule of being a father and my job to make sure you have the adequate information for you to be BEST prepared.

Thanks for your interest.

A lot of this stuff can be found by researching it on Google.

I appreciate that sentiment, but if the effort is to expand, than you have to start servicing outright. I totally don't mean to sound like a douche by saying that; I am a full supporter of what you guys (tournament creators) are doing. I think it's awesome. I'm not entirely familiar with how this tournament has been setup before or where it's been held previously, but if there was any kind of regularity with a venue chosen by you guys, I don't see why you couldn't start working annual discounts and added benefit packages by the hotels / event venues where you're at. But, perhaps, this isn't as such a big idea as all of that.

The Philli Tourney's Web site was a pretty good notion, too.

In the end, some of these recently-added points coming since I asked my very general question is the kind of cultural, financial, and nebulous 'Ohio information' that people can really benefit by specifically not having to research themselves. 8) I'm sure there is plenty more where this came from--Google Map directions from various highways of the country, etc., etc. (Potentially, feeling more empowered to participate.)

Always a fan of Google but would rather hear the info from a local who knows the area. But that's just me... Even links to reputable info on the main tourney page would be cool. Don't need a travel agent just one or two tips. Many times I have been burned by hotels as the ratings are far higher than they should be. I suspect the employees are giving the hotel better ratings on some sites. 8)

I'm going back on school track the Wednesday before the tournament. We have meetings that I have to attend to for my credential that cannot be made up nor replaced with. I'm sorry guys, I was so hyped up for this fucking thing, that it tears me that I cannot make it. All I ask is that someone throw Gats in a trash can.

Me and another friend will be attending. Is it cool if I brought a few friends just to hangout? I hate Jim Rome!

Definitely bring a posse. It helps to have someone rooting for you.

I fully support bringing a posse.

Thats not a posse Tony...you bring an army to the Madison tournament.

And you'll a part of the loudest (and probably drunkest) group of people at the Ohio tournament. Hopefully I can remember this one.