32 team TB

TecmoTurd

I wonder how difficult of a task this would be. No season stuff, not much for graphics. Think this would be doable? I don't play this game much, but I do fire it up now and again. I think it'd be fun if it got some attention (less coverage ints, juice).

I erased the endzone graphics on a version I have to make a high school rom. It's kind of fun now and again.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

Dude, I've been playing SOOOOOOOOO much original TB lately. Been finding myself in some matches with some buds. They got two things right in TB over every future incarnation, in my opinion.

1. Game Clock. 1:30 real-time is the way to go for MAN play. Real-time = Better time. So much so, I'm even throwing the suggestion into the pile for the MAN ROM we're working on.

2. Stats listed under player names. Why in God's name was this taken out? And the thing that I really wonder about, is that even though Tecmo Bowl players had static stats, which made this functionality presumably easier to implement; it doesn't stop me from wondering if TSB can somehow mirror this aspect of TB, using jumpers to point to accumulated stats in either the season or the current game itself. Automated, updated, per-play statistics listed and updated for QB Pass % (or whatever) as the game progresses, along with Sack count and INT count. That would be cool.

/hijack TB ideas

Turd, when your en route to making a 32 team rom...stop and 24 and you will be the freaking champion hero of the universe for me and 3 other guys.

Jonesin' to get USA and Japan version teams together on 1 cart. You can do it man, your RBI work is impeccable!

Channel the force young jedi knight!

Ive sorta lost steam on the fixed playbooks for LA, MIN, and WSH. Those teams have some glitches thanks to programmer oversights, but i feel thats the way it should be.

My RBI work was more jstout-nightwulf-cxrom. I just take what they give me and make it into a final product. I'm hoping cx or jstout see this thread sometime.

But I hope they see it after some of the RBI stuff they are doing for me. :lol:

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

2. Stats listed under player names. it doesn't stop me from wondering if TSB can somehow mirror this aspect of TB, using jumpers to point to accumulated stats in either the season or the current game itself. Automated, updated, per-play statistics listed and updated for QB Pass % (or whatever) as the game progresses, along with Sack count and INT count. That would be cool.

That would be more than cool...completely amazing.

2. Stats listed under player names. it doesn't stop me from wondering if TSB can somehow mirror this aspect of TB, using jumpers to point to accumulated stats in either the season or the current game itself. Automated, updated, per-play statistics listed and updated for QB Pass % (or whatever) as the game progresses, along with Sack count and INT count. That would be cool.

That would be more than cool...completely amazing.

before this, I think recording and displaying Tackles somewhere would be cool.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2009 TB ROM, as well as a needed change of pace from SNES/NES Tecmo has inspired me to collect as much info as I can about the original Tecmo Bowl. For one, I like collecting hacking info, and 2, TB needs some love. That is all.

TT:

attached is a bunch of info I gathered (some from knobbe.org, some from other places) on hacking Tecmo Bowl. I had everything in a folder so I just zipped the folder. there are some good spreadsheets on ratings and locations and stuff like that (be sure to check ALL the pages in the spreadsheets, not just the 1st one).

Maybe some of it may be of use to you.

Tecmo Bowl Hacking notes.zip

Turd in the event that you are gonna jack with playbooks...keep in mind the defense is supposed to react/respond to each play a certain way.

While the fixed playbook rom was pretty innovative it had some serious errors in terms of defensive reactions.

I'm not creating anything :roll:

So if I swap a play out, you're telling me that the defense won't change how they react? If I fix a playbook to not have one of the hampered plays, the defense won't adjust based on the new play I put in that spot?

I'm not creating anything :lol:

So if I swap a play out, you're telling me that the defense won't change how they react? If I fix a playbook to not have one of the hampered plays, the defense won't adjust based on the new play I put in that spot?

eh, not completely true...for some reason, when Washington got fixed the defense appeared to react correctly. however the same could not be said for Minnesota and LA.

here were some of the issues from the fixed playbook rom.

Minnesota's problem was that while every defender on the opposite team was blocked, the wrong O-linemen were blocking them and thus creating havoc as a couple defenders would rush in and you would have to juke them for a moment before the blockers would key in on them. It was weird but made it harder than shit to run with Minnesota even though the defense inevitably would get blocked properly. it was like the O-line was running stunts in the blocking scheme.

One of the issues with LA was that a bottom defender would cover a top WR, when you got some computer controlled coverage which is just WRONG...I had a man open, but as i threw the ball the DB from the bottom half came up to offer coverage, which was hard to recognise right away since it has always been a top LB or Db covering a top WR. equaled unexpected INT.

Im probbaly the best bet to be a Tecmo quality control man. :roll:

Also the tecmo playbook engine has some rules concerning computer controlled player coverage, and that knowledge is huge in our games. It means that calling play X will have 1 man covered on a pass play when the opponent calls Pass Y.

I have detailed notes on all that stuff as to which defender offers computer controlled coverage in vurtually any scenario of play-calls if you need to see them.

2. Stats listed under player names. Why in God's name was this taken out? And the thing that I really wonder about, is that even though Tecmo Bowl players had static stats, which made this functionality presumably easier to implement; it doesn't stop me from wondering if TSB can somehow mirror this aspect of TB, using jumpers to point to accumulated stats in either the season or the current game itself. Automated, updated, per-play statistics listed and updated for QB Pass % (or whatever) as the game progresses, along with Sack count and INT count. That would be cool.

I never played too much TB, but this always bugged me too. Maybe those 000-Yard Rusher/Passer screens that never made it in were supposed to be the replacement?

Another thing, why is there no half-time stat report, and the end of game stat report wastes so much screen space that could be better used to show other stats.

edit: or better yet, being able to browse through the stats at the end of the game

/offtopic